Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    Problem with goal line technology is, how exactly does it work? Because that goal was clearly over the line. But Milevsky (sp?) was already offside. So if all the technology does is look at the goal line and not the offside just prior to that, a technically illegal goal could have been allowed. Now that would be a kick in the teeth.
    True. Personally I'm completely in favour of the Rugby/Cricket type usage where its called upon when they feel its needed, in which case they would replay that incident and discount because of the offside. Likewise if someone goes down quite seriously off the ball they can use their treatment time to replay and book players as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Timofee View Post
    They have been complete and utter idiots about the whole thing all along. I simply don't understand how they can continue to fly in the face of overwhelming pressure from not just the general public but people in the game as well.
    For goal-line dilemmas, well that is a tough one. But I am 100% for the ref's decision is final in soccer. And this coming from an Irishman, we're still bitter about Thierry Henry's infamous handball. Here's my take: Soccer is like life.

No wait, soccer is one of those games that you can fruitfully compare to life.

Ok. Soccer is like life.

And sometimes in life, a cheater cheats and gets away with it. And sometimes in life, nobody cheats but misunderstanding and confusion lead to objectively bad decisions.

And when that happens, you don't get some magic sky-god come down "Ahem, actually guys..." You just have to endure the unfairness, and carry on.

I don't want judgment technology coming into soccer. Sure, it'd lead to fairer rulings, one or two of which would happen in a very dramatic situation.

But it robs the game of some philosophical richness. Surely that's more valuable than winning one specific match.
    Free speech don't mean unchallengeable speech.

Timofee -

Problem with that is it can slow down the pace of the game too much. Sometimes there are not natural breaks in play to review a decision. What if it's cleared off the line and then the defending team breaks and scores 30 secs later. Are they gonna pull the whole thing back and award a goal and disallow the other? If one team can just stop the game by asking for a review then we run the risk of teams using it tactically to break up the play. In cricket the system works because there is a natural break in play after every delivery.

Sometimes decisions are objective. Especially when considering whether an offside player is interfering with play, or whether a tackle is a foul even if the ball is secured. This isn't the problem in other sports like Cricket, well it is a bit but we have Umpire's decision.

I think the best way to use it is purely for decisions which are not subjective, like did it cross the goal line. But still I think it will open up a whole new can of worms. Like today's offside but over the line goal.
    Last edited by duff; 20-06-2012 at 12:22 AM.

I think you both raise valid points and I certainly agree there are issues to overcome. Perhaps you're correct and the only solution is for the kind of binary decisions where there is a right or wrong answer, there may still be injustices - such as the offside - but at least they'd be making an effort (and not wastefully paying for extra officials, as if that was the solution!)

In thinking about it I reckon the thing that has annoyed me most about FIFA all along is their seeming refusal to even try it...

Pilot it in a few international friendlies. If it does break up play too much lets go back and have a rethink. Their position has softened over the last year or two but prior to that it was always a flat no, and people unwilling to even entertain other ideas piss me off.

I guess we could just get a psychic octopus to adjudicate all decisions.

I don't get how the FIFA does not care at all about whether a goal was actually a goal or not, but when Zidane headbutts a guy they pause the game for five minutes even though nobody has seen it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    I thought it was already confirmed that goal line technlogy is going to be introduced, but theyre building/trialling the technlogy at present. To be fair the commentators hardly help when they constantly bring up the 'goal line technlogy debate'. It isn't a debate, it's a work in progress that has been agreed upon by the footballing authorities.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    Problem with goal line technology is, how exactly does it work? Because that goal was clearly over the line. But Milevsky (sp?) was already offside. So if all the technology does is look at the goal line and not the offside just prior to that, a technically illegal goal could have been allowed. Now that would be a kick in the teeth.
    I think FIFA will have to be quite clear on this, I think it will have to be an accepted fact that linesmen(ing) will always be prone to human error much the same as with penalties, etc and that technology will ONLY be used for the goalline.

Though not sure that'll stop people calling for video refereeing once the goal line tech is out.

The German defenders clearly mesmerised by Gorgeous George's hair.

Come on Greece!
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

That Reus is a bit alright.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    I very rarely bet, but I thought I'd have a little fun with the Euros. I turned €20 into €66 with a few easy bets, and now I'm putting it all on Spain to win the tournament. Because I really really don't want Spain to win it, but I'm pretty sure they will, and €232 would be lovely compensation. If not, if Germany win, I'm out the original €20 stake and get to celebrate in Berlin. Fair trade.

http://i.imgur.com/94dAq.png
    Last edited by TillEulenspiegel; 22-06-2012 at 09:53 PM.

So France set up really defensively, Spain go for a false-9, should be v. interesting.

Network Hub
    How does Malouda still manage to convince people to let him onto a football pitch? I mean come on Blanc, Arfa is sat right there.

My prediction: 2-1 to Italy. I pray I'll be wrong.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    England Italy game was was more entertaining than I'd expected it to be. Italy definitely deserved to win but they were very wasteful in front of goal which doesn't bode well for them against the Germans. The extra 30 minutes of work no doubt wont help them either.

Pirlo was excellent, loved his cheeky penalty.

Guys uh I'm sorry. You played a good game, ok you flagged a little near the end, but your defense was stellar, you did good all said. But jeez you gotta find that voodoo priestess and apologise to her before the World Cup comes round.
    Free speech don't mean unchallengeable speech.

So we kept a clean sheet while probably having our worst defensive performance of the tournament? Thanks, Italy!

They'll need to hope they've got that out of their system for the Italy game.

All in all I'm relatively content with England's showing. Yes we made hard work of it, yes our play in posession is atrocious and yes we rode our luck on more than a few occasions but we ultimately won the group deservingly and went out not giving the best account of ourselves but not getting bent over either. And all this with a fairly shambolic build-up to the tournament for us over the last few months. Plenty for Hodgson to be getting on with.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Ashley Young is just a liability. Nowhere near international standard. But if anyone was to miss the vital penalty I am glad is was Ashley Cole, can't stand the tosser.
    If graphics are not important why spend so much on a GPU?

Network Hub
    Does anyone else get the horrible sinking feeling that Ashley Young is going to be yet another in a long line of shit England players that get consistent call ups just because they play for one of the big teams?

On the back of a pretty average season at Man Utd and four abject displays in a major tournament you'd think he'd be dropped until he got some form back. But I'll bet money he'll be in the starting eleven for the next World Cup qualifier.

Still, we managed to win our group with a manager that had 2 weeks preparation and a ridiculous list of injuries. Quietly going out in the quarters is about what you could hope for from this squad. I'm pretty happy with how it went all told. At least we were there this time!

Although, I thought Roy's two subs did for us last night. Pretty awful. Welbeck looked fine, Rooney was the ineffectual one. Carroll coming on meant we lumped it long and handed the ball to Pirlo. Then he inexplicably leaves Young on, who's main contribution was handing possession back to the Italians. Even after Walcott was on I'm pretty sure Hodgson instructed the entire team to ignore him and continue feeding the ball to Young and Carroll so they could give it back to Pirlo as soon as possible.

But dare I say it, with some tweaks in attack and Jack Wilshere in there to hold onto possession we could build on what is now a solid defence and be a decent counter-attacking side? Maybe?

Yep another Emile Heskey for sure.
    If graphics are not important why spend so much on a GPU?