Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDog View Post
    Of course, that dumb fucking René look-a-like fool Del Bosque might wake up and actually play Pedro and Navas from the start, or bench Alonso (oh no, what will Marca say if the national team has an all Barca midfield!), or give up the frankly awful experiment where they pretend Fabregas is Messi, and just fucking play Torres!

God this Spanish team wind me up.
    I think Fabregas works well there (certainly more so than Torres/Negredo), but definitely one of the holding midfielders needs to go and Pedro needs to start.

The game makes me sad. Italy played a fantastic game, especially Buffon and...the guy who scored (forgot his name, but beautiful technique!). I would have loved to see an epic showdown at the end, but the referee turned out to be an idiot.
    Also, watching British commentators is far better than their German equivalents, it's really quite hard to go back to Bela Rethy and Mehmet Scholl.

Not bothering to watch the final now. Hate Italy and the Spanish are boring like Bolton or Chelsea.
    If graphics are not important why spend so much on a GPU?

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    I still want Spain to lose. The thought of that lot winning a third major title in a row just makes me nauseous.

Also, Mehmet Scholl is better than Alan Shearer. He's at least capable of making interesting comments. German TV could do with a larger rotating panel in the studio, though. It's always Scholl on ARD, Oli Kahn on ZDF.

Love how Shearer constantly says, "and he done that", no Alan, he 'DID' that.

Pretty happy Germany went out. Supporting the match fixers over the Germans is a tough call but I'm afraid the fixers win.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    You can bash Italy as much as you want but they played better and more entertaining football then Germany today,and i was for Germany! They deserved to go to the finals,now if only Spain didn't won portugal,they got so lucky with the last penal ..freaking faggots.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Italy have really surprised me this tournament. I was generally in agreement with the consensus that they weren't the best Italian side to have graced a major championship but not only have they made the final but they have done so in a much more attacking and entertaining style than many Italian sides of the past.

Pirlo has to be the player of the tournament so far, he has barely put a foot wrong.

I feel the final is too close to call, they were evenly matched in their group game and I suspect this will be the case again in the final.

---

Also in regards to Wimbledon was a massive shock that Nadal went out (unfortunately I missed all of the match). People will say the draw has opened up for Murray but I felt before the tournament that he had one of the toughest draws and while I still expect to see him in the semis I'm sure there will be some nervy moments on the way with handy grass court players like Cillic and a few other big servers potentially in his path. Plus his likely semi final opponent is Tsonga, who may not be Nadal but is also exceptional on grass and is on good form having been oh so close to beating Djokovic in the French. Still I'm sure Murray will be glad to see Nadal out.

I'm also happy to see Heather Watson progress further into the tournament than media darling Laura Robson as I've always felt she was the more accomplished player. Still tough task ahead of her against world number 3 Radwanska and I suspect before long Murray will be in his usual position of only Brit left in the tournament.

---

In yet more sport, The Tour starts this weekend. Really looking forward to settling down to ITV's rather excellent highlights package (which has done a hell of a job over the past few years of explaining what the hell is going on to a cycling ignoramus like myself). Not to mention it's brilliantly cheesy "it sounds French, non?" theme tune!

Alright, maybe I should start eating my own words when I said Germany will ravage Italy to everyone else

dkagedkyugewkfuygkegdhgcvjdvcbbcnvsj
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Watch me fail as Nobunaga

Surprised but not especially disappointed that Italy beat Germany. If they play more like that than their performance against England then they could well beat Spain. And as detailed above, I hope they do. Also glad that Balotelli didn't finish like that against England or it could have been a fucking massacre.

Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    On a non football related note.

WIMBLEDON!
    Hoping Heather Watson continues to do well and that Murray makes the most of Nadal now being out of his side of the draw. He might be an obnoxious tit but after years of watching Henman fail heroically it'd be nice to see a Brit do something.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

After a day to reflect and sulk, I am now going to back Italy against Spain. I still don't like them but their last two matches they have been very entertaining and watching Spain has been like watching George Graham's Arsenal before Ian Wright played for them. Spain have world class midfield but no strikers. Plus Roberto (Judas) Martinez is Spanish so i will never support them ever again.

So what's everyones team of the tournament?

Mine would be:

Casillas?

Lahm (two footed), Pique, Terry, Alba

Pirlo

Moutinho, Schweinsteiger

Ronaldo (dick), Iniesta

Balotelli.
    Last edited by duff; 29-06-2012 at 06:28 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Much as I hate to admit it, Schweini was poor in every game except for the one against Holland. He just wasn't fully fit.

I would have Neuer in goal, though. You can argue about absolute technical skill, but he's certainly the most entertaining goalkeeper, never afraid to run out to the halfway line when necessary, or just when he's bored like against Greece.

Let's see, 4-2-3-1...

Neuer

Lahm - Pique - Hummels - Cole

Pirlo - Fabregas

Iniesta - Özil - Ronaldo

Balotelli

EDIT: On second thought, Fabregas is a bad choice for that position, since he hasn't played it at all in this tournament. Maybe Khedira or Moutinho then.
    Last edited by TillEulenspiegel; 29-06-2012 at 07:19 PM.

Network Hub
    Very much off the top of my head.

Hart (I can't think of any keeper that's been particularly outstanding)

Lahm Pepe Hummels Coentrao

Pirlo

De Rossi Moutinho

Ozil Cassano

Balotelli (Has to be, really)

Hmm, I think for me a 4-1-4-1 might look something like:

Neuer

Johnson - Pique - Pepe - Balzaretti

Pirlo

Kuba - Hubschman - Schneider - Reus (or maybe Pilar)

Ronaldo

Edit: I'm intrigued to see you've all gone for Balotelli, I guess largely on the strength of last night? I guess that shows how no striker has really come to the fore, hence my somewhat cheaty sticking Ronaldo up there

Edit 2: Actually I might ditch Schneider for Scotty Parker as Pirlo is all the creative player I need :D
    Last edited by Timofee; 29-06-2012 at 07:30 PM.

Network Hub
    Yeah I was tempted to put Ron upfront because Balotelli hasn't really been consistent. But it's hard to argue with a performance like last night.

I think Cassano has been a highlight for me, especially considering his fitness. The only striker Prandelli has started every match. I think a lot of the control and threat Italy have in attack comes from him as much as Pirlo. His vision and ability on the ball mean they can play at a fast tempo knowing he'll happily take the ball under pressure and pick a pass.

Not bothering with formation really.

Casillas

Lahm - Ramos - De Rossi - Alba

Busquets - Pirlo - Khedira

Ozil - Cassano - Iniesta

Honourable mentions in teams that didn't get v far: Hubschman, Mandzukic, Pilar, Gusev.

Hart

Lahm - Pepe - Lesscot - Cole

Pirlo - Parker

Shevchenko - Gomez - Carroll - Balotelli

Interesting that you all seem to be picking Lahm as RB, has he actually played there in the tournament?

He's a great player undoubtedly but I dont think he's really shone at this tournament.

I'm not a big fan, as I think he tends to waste the ball a lot, but I genuinely thought Glen Johnson was England's best, or at least most consistent, player at the tournament.

It pains me to say but I reckon even Arbeloa has been a better player than Lahm

Also, regarding Cole, I think he was excellent in the warm ups but nowhere near as impressive in the tournament - although to be fair to him that was partly the fault of the anonymous Young in front of him.

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDog View Post
    I think Cassano has been a highlight for me, especially considering his fitness. The only striker Prandelli has started every match. I think a lot of the control and threat Italy have in attack comes from him as much as Pirlo. His vision and ability on the ball mean they can play at a fast tempo knowing he'll happily take the ball under pressure and pick a pass.
    I think you're probably right and I've underestimated his impact because he has had a tendency to just get on with it

Network Hub
    It was mostly just he's been solid, and it's a bit of a cheat bunging him in at right-back. But thinking about it, I'd probably put Balzaretti in there for Lahm.

The thing is, there haven't been a lot of really consistent players. Ones that have been dominant from start to finish. Even Pirlo had a duff match against Ireland.