Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    Obscure Node
    If i may ask, whats the perception of the cost of Formula 1 by fans? I realize there's an economic benefit implicit in very fast cars, but that doesn't mean i have to like it. Feel free to ignore this, just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Novel View Post
    If i may ask, whats the perception of the cost of Formula 1 by fans? I realize there's an economic benefit implicit in very fast cars, but that doesn't mean i have to like it. Feel free to ignore this, just curious.
    It does cost a ridiculous amount, but then it makes a ridiculous amount in sponsorship and tv. I heard that next seasons cost cutting measure was getting Grosjean off the grid.

It costs a lot, it's about the least green sport one can think of... but those things matter very little when you're 6 years old and you start watching those really pretty cars going very fast on TV every other Sunday. And then it becomes a guilty pleasure when you get older.

First series win in India in decades? Another fine addition to a great year for British sport. :)
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    First series win in India in decades? Another fine addition to a great year for British sport. :)
    Indeedy, Cook and Anderson played fantastically. Can't wait for the Ashes, hoping to see the first test at Trent Bridge.

We seem to have lost the sports thread to the mists of 2012, so with the run in for the football season and the upcoming F1 I shall resurrect it by saying

bloody impressive result for Spurs tonight

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Timofee View Post
    We seem to have lost the sports thread to the mists of 2012, so with the run in for the football season and the upcoming F1 I shall resurrect it by saying

It was indeed and the Gareth Bale show continues on, he's really on form at the moment.

----

In other sport I'm looking forward to this weekend's 6 Nations rugby, which see's Scotland and Wales duke it out to see who will still have a mathematical chance of becoming champions but in reality will finish second to England due to their soon to be unassailable points difference. I reckon Wales will probably edge it but I'd be more than happy for the Scottish team to prove me wrong. Hopefully with a bit more possession of the ball than against Ireland, I don't need my nerves shredded like that again!

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Timofee View Post
    And unsurprisingly, the bookmakers have them as favorites to win the Europa League, just ahead of Chelsea. There are a couple other decent sides still in it, but with a little luck in the draw, you gotta think it's a big chance for Spurs to win a trophy.

On the other side of north London, Arsenal continue to baffle me. I hear fans complaining about not spending money, but really Wenger has done exactly what they asked for in the past 18 months or so, buying good experienced players like Cazorla and Podolski and Mertesacker and Monreal.

Maybe they don't have a decent striker, but neither do Spurs. Arsenal clearly have the fourth best squad in the Premiership, IMO. It's difficult to explain how they keep getting knocked out of cups to lower league sides, and never fully convincing in the league.

It's nice to see Spurs taking the Europa seriously in a time when we've seen so many other English teams treat it as the unwanted stepchild. Especially given they're still pushing for top four. It's sent AVB up a long way in my estimation.

That I want Spurs to do well is at odds with how annoying I find Bale. Him and his stupid, gorilla face.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

What a day of rugby it's going to be tomorrow. England getting the Slam* and France the Wooden Spoon would be absolutely perfect. Italian win over Ireland optional.

* A grand slam isn't everything and I'd ultimately be pleased if we got it even if it was only because Wales don't beat us by enough but it always feels a bit of a damp squib if you don't seal these things with a win. Unless, of course, Wales had a big lead and England have to get a few late scores to seal the championship.

And in other sort-of-egg-shaped-ball news, I'm quite pleased with the free agency moves the Broncos have made. Especially signing Wes Welker.+

What a day of rugby it's going to be tomorrow. England getting the Slam* and France the Wooden Spoon would be absolutely perfect. Italian win over Ireland optional.
    I think you mean it would be prefect if England were trailing by 3 with the clock in the red and decided to go on an all out attack to win the slam, instead of securing the championship by kicking to touch. They then lose the ball to an intercept pass and a Welsh player runs the length of the pitch to score a try and snatch the championship.

This scenario was brought to you by Irn Bru and haggis!

Honestly England can win the championship (they deserve it, despite their overconfidence against Italy, who could quite easily have beaten them) if they want but I don't want to see them get the slam. England or France winning a slam is just the worst outcome to a 6 Nations tournament!

Contrary to my post earlier. Ha, bloody ha! Wales were dominant in the second half and definitely deserved their victory (indeed if it wasn't for a fantastic performance by pre injury depletion Ireland in the first half on the first game they would have had the Slam themselves).

I know find this article (after England won their first 3 games) which annoyed me at the time as Lewis Moody crowned them champions way too soon (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013...ons-grand-slam) to be absolutely hilarious now and evidence of why everyone else is right to gloat when England lose.

Now if Scotland can consign France to the wooden spoon it'll be a great day!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    It was a good game to watch if you were Welsh, I imagine. Pretty fun regardless, especially when Wales decided that they didn't just want to win, but that they wanted to win.

At a change of pace, will the BBC be showing full coverage (acceptably repeated) of the F1, or is it purely on Sky for the entire season?
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

An impressively ruthless performance from Wales. Some of England's squad have a long way to go in terms of mentality when it matters. Grinding out results is all well and good until you then get shown up in a big game you've had a week to prepare for.

Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    evidence of why everyone else is right to gloat when England lose.
    Oh please, not the yawnsome arrogance argument again.

If impartiality of the media is as important as people would like to make out when grasping for more sticks to bash English teams with then there's not a right-minded soul in the world who could support their own national team, let alone feel anything but loathing for others.
    Last edited by Ian; 16-03-2013 at 09:42 PM.

I'd talked myself into believing Scotland were going to do it. :(

Punished for a couple of lapses. Nice to see somebody who aren't Italy and Scotland getting the Spoon. Two hard-working teams and while both have had a bit of luck this time round it's nice to see them get some results between them.

Oh please, not the yawnsome arrogance argument again.
    Misplaced arrogance that's the problem. Such unjustified assumption of success is pretty much only attributed to the English football and rugby teams within the media (who are busy of ignoring sports us Brits are actually consistently good at unless it's an Olympic year) and funnily enough they are the only two English teams I ever find myself actively cheering against. To be fair the current squad were relatively wary to make any proclamations of impending victory but the ex-players, pundits etc. should know better than to declare a relatively inexperienced but immensely promising squad as grand slam shoe ins on the basis of a few wins and a recent (fucking awesome indeed but it was just one game) great performance against the best team in the world.

If this had been a World Cup winning team on a lengthy unbeaten streak, sure, proclaim the championship a near inevitability, not many would argue.

Though, yeah, if I'm being honest when it comes to rugby and football I probably shouldn't try to justify it. The misplaced arrogance thing is just fuel to the fire, when it comes down to it I just don't want to see England win and depending on circumstances I'm indifferent or rather delighted when they lose. It's a bit pathetic, it's horribly ingrained - but at least it gives me something to get excited about if either team is going through one of their turgidly average spells!

----

France pounded Scotland, the scoreline somewhat flatters us. Once again we were defensively solid for the large part but it's proof (not that it was needed!) the Ireland match was very lucky, you can't just try and defend for the vast majority of the match, players will get tired and make mistakes, that's just the way it's going to work.

@ Ian

Yeah, it's always good to see Italy avoid the spoon. To be honest, I think Scotland were lucky that Parisse was suspended when they played, against both Scotland and Wales they just didn't look the same without him. Astoundingly good player.
    Last edited by Lambchops; 16-03-2013 at 10:09 PM.

All media do it, that's the thing. I've been in Scotland for ten years now, I've seen my fair share of outrage at Celtic/Rangers (heh)/Scotland getting turned over by "the sort of team we should be beating!"

I'm not saying there aren't plenty of dickheads in the English media, I'm just saying it's the same everywhere on varying scales. For every Lewis Moody or Clive Tyldesley there's a Scot getting himself into a froth because WE SHOULDN'T LOSE TO THE LIKES OF GEORGIA!!! My argument is that they're all bastards.

France pounded Scotland, the scoreline somewhat flatters us. Once again we were defensively solid for the large part but it's proof (not that it was needed!) the Ireland match was very lucky, you can't just try and defend for the vast majority of the match, players will get tired and make mistakes, that's just the way it's going to work.
    Presumably Scotland's next logical step is to find a way to spend more time doing much the same as they are now but in opposition territory. Unless there are more Scottish playmakers who could/should be getting games than I'm aware of trying to do what England do when we're shit would be the next step. And I don't mean when we're shit but think we're better, I mean when even our coaches know we're shit a la 2007 when we gave up on playing rugby and had a strategy of being rock hard, disciplined bastards and keeping them hemmed in until they made a mistake that could be punished.

As you say, Scotland just spend too much time in their own half to reliably get results and the win against Ireland was mostly because Ireland's strategy/decision making was terrible.

I'm not saying there aren't plenty of dickheads in the English media, I'm just saying it's the same everywhere on varying scales. For every Lewis Moody or Clive Tyldesley there's a Scot getting himself into a froth because WE SHOULDN'T LOSE TO THE LIKES OF GEORGIA!!! My argument is that they're all bastards.
    True, I can get behind that. It's why I enjoy the irreverence of Only an Excuse every new year which gives those bastards the mocking they thoroughly deserve! Plus I guess you don't want to get to media people who are pessimistic all the time either or else you'll end up with everyone being like the utterly insufferable Mark Bright and that's a hellish vision to be sure! Also I feel I'm starting to slag sports journalism/punditry off a bit too much. It can be insightful, enlightening, entertaining and even (for journalism at least) rather inspiring.

---

@ Scotland rugby

Yeah, we're starting to get the basics a bit better and we really just have to try and build on that. During the Clive Robinson era I think I physically cringed every time a Scottish player went for a fancy offload. While philosophically it was nice to see us try to play some more expansive rugby as you say we need more playmakers before we can do that and up until then it's a case of being hard to beat (which is certainly coming) but starting to create a few more chances through hard graft (certainly the try count has gone up this year, which again is an encouraging sign).

As for England and Wales they can certainly build from here and will definitely be worth looking out for come World Cup time, Ireland have some serious rebuilding to do and France . . . well who ever knows what France is going to turn up - when asked why France had gone from favourites to wooden spoon contenders the French coach answered something along the lines of "because we're French."

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    At a change of pace, will the BBC be showing full coverage (acceptably repeated) of the F1, or is it purely on Sky for the entire season?
    AFAIK they have about 10 races properly live and the rest will stick to the same extended highlights format of last year, so not too bad I guess.

It can be insightful, enlightening, entertaining and even (for journalism at least) rather inspiring.
    In terms of TV punditry, I for one (even as a Manchester United fan) never in a million years thought Gary Neville was going to be as good as he is. Not that it'd be hard to shine when your competition is the likes of Shearer and Redknapp, but still.

With him and Lee Dixon it must be a thing with English right backs. Tony Hibbert should retire while the time is right.