Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    On the BBC, discussion about the tyre management had David Coulthard say that it was "pretty rubbish". Hard to disagree especially when at the end some really quick times suddenly came up. Had the same issue our end with Raikkonen, fortunately they subsequently showed every over-take at the end. Didn't know about the record he was working on, pretty cool! It also helps that Raikkonen is Raikkonen and pretty damn hilarious the rest of the time, your quote as an example. Agreed on Sutil too, that was some smashing driving.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    That match did remind me once again how dislikeable Ribery is, goes down at the drop of a hat. I generally dislike fans of other sports who go on about footballers being pansies or whatever but I've got to say that listening to the Froch Kessler fight on the radio after and comparing their sheer desire, sportsmanship and respect (Froch's ill judged "kill" comments in midweek as part of the sell the fight malarkey aside) to Ribery's antics you can see where they are coming from.

Even though I was hoping Dortmund would cause an upset Bayern definitely deserved their win after a bit of a shaky start.

---

@ F1

Really losing track of it now. I keep an eye on the news but haven't even watched a race this season. It going over to sky has definitely made a difference, I'm never sure exactly when the BBC has live coverage and end up now watching. Shame as it looks like a more competitive season this year. Found myself watching a bit more Moto GP again, that Marquez is a crazy rider, his lean angle is just phenomenal.

----

Great to see Cav seal the Giro points victory with a win. Always thought the Giro points system to be a bit off, with climbers being able to amass way too many points compared to the all rounders/sprinters who should be contesting the points jersey. Admittedly he did get a stroke of luck with Saturday's stage cancellation but even if Nibali had taken that stage Cav would have still got enough points to pull clear of Nibali so it's a very impressive victory, especially taking 5 stage wins when only 3 had been earmarked.

Looking forward to seeing Cav take on the likes of Sagan and Greipel at Le Tour. GC should be pretty interesting too, looking forward to seeing Froome vs Contador and judging by his Giro performance it looks like Evans might be a contender again.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    That match did remind me once again how dislikeable Ribery is, goes down at the drop of a hat. I generally dislike fans of other sports who go on about footballers being pansies
    I wouldn't say they are pansies, but the diving is horrific and you don't see it in any other sport, at least such a prominent one, and even then so frequently.
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    I wouldn't say they are pansies, but the diving is horrific and you don't see it in any other sport, at least such a prominent one, and even then so frequently.
    I don't know, diving tends to happen in most, if not all contact sports. Granted, football is probably the most frequent one, but it's also a pretty major issue in basketball, and also in hockey. Not that it justifies anything, I hate the practice and I'm saddened that in Brazil it's extremely widespread, and even praised by the stupid "win-at-all-costs" mentality.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    IIRC, a Czech hockey player took a dive in the game against Sweden in the recent World Cup. Then again, that was an isolated incident, he was mocked for it and was sent off for unsportsmanlike conduct or something.

I really think that the faking is one of the biggest issues for football today. Not just that it's dishonest, embarrassing and looks ridiculous, but it destroys some of the fun and joy that the game provides. It's not going anywhere of course, since winning is ultimately far more important than fair play and it can't be fully supervised by the refs. The diving culture is actually a main reason for my football interest moving northwards lately.

Ribery is a good player, but I despise him. Not overly fond of Robben either, but that's more of a personality thing.

EDIT: Faldrath's hockey link was saddening, but diving is hardly a major problem for the sport. I don't watch much NHL, but I do watch a bit of hockey and it's a rare occurrence. Football has god-knows-how-many incidents in every single game. It's pathetic.
    Last edited by Fanbuoy; 27-05-2013 at 12:09 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    I don't know, diving tends to happen in most, if not all contact sports. Granted, football is probably the most frequent one, but it's also a pretty major issue in basketball, and also in hockey. Not that it justifies anything, I hate the practice and I'm saddened that in Brazil it's extremely widespread, and even praised by the stupid "win-at-all-costs" mentality.
    Mmm, I guess it was my mistake for saying any other sport, but even so it does seem like football is getting the worst of it. Hockey at least still seems to be 'respectful' even though there obviously is diving. Football is making a bad name for itself. Other contact sports like 'murican Football and Rugby have their discipline problems, but diving and feigning injuries seems to have stayed out of the game, for the most part.

I have to go along with Fabuouy, it's just a horrible culture of deception surrounding the sport.
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Oh, I don't disagree that it's much worse in football, but I think it's more of a symptom of the "win-at-all-costs" mentality than anything else. In football diving is relatively easy to do and the risk-reward ratio is pretty acceptable, unfortunately (you basically only risk a yellow card. I can't readily recall any instance of someone being sent off just for diving). In American football and rugby, it wouldn't be as effective because, well, players are supposed to tackle each other to the ground there and it's hard to make it look like something illegal. And in hockey the risk-reward ratio is different, because if you become known as a diver, you *will* start to get (legally) checked into oblivion :)
    Last edited by Faldrath; 27-05-2013 at 04:49 PM.

Well that was a cracking grand prix. Disappointments aside, the actual racing element was fantastic and to see most positions open until the very end was something you don't often see and just keeps the excitement going to the end.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Shame to see so many tire blowouts, it's a bit of a farce really, but one that was more dangerous and less entertaining than the other sporting farce of the weekend; the bus blocking the finale of the first stage of Le Tour

Looking forward to Wimbledon today, hopefully Murray and Robson will do well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    Shame to see so many tire blowouts, it's a bit of a farce really
    The DRS shenanigans and the ridiculous difference between old and tyres, made worse by the fact they don't even last 20 laps, is really sapping my interest in F1. After his late pitstop Alonso was passing cars easier than the LMP1s were lapping the GTs last weekend at Le Mans. Not impressed at all.

Speaking of the Tour de France, Wimbledon and other big tournaments in the coming weeks, the UEFA Women's Championship will start in a few days.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Yeah, the tire situation was absurd. Fair play to Hamilton though for coming back so far. About tires, there really are some odd things going on; didn't Sutil go 50+ laps on one set in Canada? How is he able to get that yet others don't seem to last long at all?