Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Yeah the table tennis and badminton are always fun (but do always make me bemoan the decision to choose golf and rugby sevens over squash for inclusion at the next Olympics. Rugby is a great idea, but golf? The Olympics isn't the biggest event out there for golf but it absolutely would be for squash).

I remembered really enjoying canoe slalom last time round and it is indeed still excellent, for the same reasons as skiing I guess, great physical strength and superb technique needed but to get the best times you have to take risks, so there will always be a few complete cock ups or dramatic moments when someone completely tears up a specific part of the course. Love it.

In non Olympic related matters I was pleased to see Hamilton win this weekend and McLaren generally look better.

Also I see Jack Wilshire has been ruled out until October now. I worry that injuries are going to mean he never quite lives up to his promise and we end up with another Jermaine Jenas/Kieron Dyer on our hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Timofee View Post
    In non Olympic related matters I was pleased to see Hamilton win this weekend and McLaren generally look better.
    Finally! And shit, I should've seen that while it was on live
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Great performance from Lotus as well.

Back to the Olympics and the swimming 4x100 relay was a treat. I love it when an event is billed as a battle between two teams and someone else steps up and causes a shock. As a Scot I don't have the same hangs ups about French success as people from England seem to do but all the same it felt rather odd to be cheering them on! Nice work from Adlington to get a bronze, the fact her time was faster than Beijing hopefully bodes well for the 800m.

Also I see Jack Wilshire has been ruled out until October now. I worry that injuries are going to mean he never quite lives up to his promise and we end up with another Jermaine Jenas/Kieron Dyer on our hands.
    Yeh it's a real shame. We only just got over losing Dean Ashton and Hargreaves. I'm totally gutted, it will be touch and go now whether he will ever fully recover, usually when players are out for over a year they are beset by problems for the rest of their career. I love how at the time Wenger was bitching about him playing for the u21's and the full team then goes and gets him killed on some pre-season American tour.

Seriously the first time we bring through a proper technical midfielder in forever and this happens. -.-

Here's a thought I just had which if you'd told me on Friday I'd be having this morning I would probably have laughed in your face:

"Fuck, I'm going to miss all of the judo today."

SINCE WHEN DID I LIKE WATCHING JUDO? I mean, it's since Saturday but you get the point.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    I've been watching and enjoying a bunch of sports I've never really sat down and watched before, but to someone who doesn't quite understand it, judo seems really impenetrable and dull. Lots of brief grappling with no result.

Though to be fair, dressage is like a billion times worse.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Yup, and the more points he and Kimi take from the Red Bull cars the better. Just as long as he doesn't get too close to Alonso's Ferrari, of course. Next stop Spa Francorchamps!

I haven't yet seen anything of the Olympics. It's a little odd how suddenly all the sports that are never in the newspaper become headline news, but I suppose it's a nice event for those that are enthusiastic about the sports. It's a bit of a world championship, after all.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    I've been watching and enjoying a bunch of sports I've never really sat down and watched before, but to someone who doesn't quite understand it, judo seems really impenetrable and dull. Lots of brief grappling with no result.

Though to be fair, dressage is like a billion times worse.
    My understanding is that Judo is about two people holding onto each other, wobbling slightly, and then letting go. Eventually someone falls over. Then they are declared the winner.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    My understanding is that Judo is about two people holding onto each other, wobbling slightly, and then letting go. Eventually someone falls over. Then they are declared the winner.
    I like that description. It's the only event I've not spent any time watching. Nor do I intend watching any. Even the Equestrian got 5 minutes of my time this afternoon.

Beach Volleyball is my most watched, it is really entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbick View Post
    Beach Volleyball is my most watched, it is really entertaining.
    Aside from the bikinis?
    Art blog here.

If judo went on for any longer I couldn't be doing with it, but being quite short and the possibility of being ended immediately (and that that end isn't just about brute force) is quite appealing to me.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Damn shame that Squash wasn't included in this years Olympics. Just sayin'

Archery's on now, isn't it?
    Art blog here.

A good day for us so far, and could be more to come. Gemma Gibbons in today's women's judo final in about five minutes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Shame that she didn't win, but blimey, we've done well in the last hour and a bit. I really needed to go out and do stuff today, but the cycling is still to come.