Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast
Results 381 to 400 of 437
  1. #381
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    São Paulo
    Posts
    1,385
    Well, the main reason is tradition. In the case of Monaco, it's also because it's the major anomaly in Formula 1. A narrow, slow, dangerous track that wasn't engineered for boredom like most recent new venues. It requires a completely different mindset. Heck, I always dread Monaco when I play F1 games - because I know I pretty much won't be able to complete it unless I abuse flashbacks/saves. It's extremely tough to keep your focus for 2 hours with all the gear changes, braking, and futile attempts at overtaking.

    That being said, the actual F1 races at Monaco do tend to be a bit boring because it's almost impossible to overtake. There are exceptions, but those usually happen only when there are a lot of crashes.

    As for Indianapolis, I don't particularly care for watching races in ovals (although *driving* in them, as I remember from playing Nascar games a good while ago, is actually pretty fun).

  2. #382
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    1,250
    My natural underdog supporting tendencies mean I'll be supporting Dortmund, but I expect Bayern will win. However anyhting can happen, they underperformed massively against Chelsea last time round and that might just be in the back of their minds.

  3. #383
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    1,593
    Monaco is very tough indeed, and a near impossible level of concentration is needed, but I often wonder if it hasn't become too outdated. It seems we're stuck with it either way, and as a one-of-a-kind event it perhaps still has a purpose in highlighting the amazing speed and grip of these modern F1 cars. For the uninitiated:

    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

  4. #384
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    São Paulo
    Posts
    1,385
    My dream Kickstarter would be Geoff Crammond coming back with a classic F1 game, recreating seasons and tracks from the 60s-90s. It's such a waste to have the admittedly very pretty Codemasters games racing on awful, boring tracks like Bahrain, South Korea, etc...

    Also, I'll see your Button and raise you:

    Last edited by Faldrath; 24-05-2013 at 06:43 PM.

  5. #385
    Moderator Anthile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    People's Republic of Germany
    Posts
    2,787
    Well, I live in Dortmund and have been fan of the club since I can think, basically. I'd like us to win the cup, of course, but it's also hard to deny the Bayern players have kind of deserved it at this point. I'm oddly conflicted about this even though I really shouldn't be.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

    to wound the autumnal city.

  6. #386
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    São Paulo
    Posts
    1,385
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Well, I live in Dortmund and have been fan of the club since I can think, basically. I'd like us to win the cup, of course, but it's also hard to deny the Bayern players have kind of deserved it at this point. I'm oddly conflicted about this even though I really shouldn't be.
    To my Brazilian mind, this was the oddest statement I've read in a long time. I salute you, sir. (basically because down here I don't think almost anyone would let the concept of "merit" get in the way of football passion!)

  7. #387
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The Capital of Scandinavia
    Posts
    1,258
    Another Dortmund supporter here. I like German football, but haven't payed much attention to the Bundesliga for some reason. From what I've seen though, Dortmund seems like a nice club with a great culture. Add that I like rooting for underdogs and dislike hegemonies (says the FC Barcelona supporter...) and the choice is pretty obvious for me. Never liked BM anyway, I don't see a lot of soul there.

  8. #388
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    1,593
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    My dream Kickstarter would be Geoff Crammond coming back with a classic F1 game, recreating seasons and tracks from the 60s-90s. It's such a waste to have the admittedly very pretty Codemasters games racing on awful, boring tracks like Bahrain, South Korea, etc...

    Also, I'll see your Button and raise you:
    Geoff Crammond making such a game would be the first gaming project I sign up for on Kickstarter!

    Senna was great as usual on Monaco, he might have had the superior equipment in some years, but there's a reason he won so many races at the track. The contrast with the Button clip is also quite nice: there were a lot more barriers a lot closer to the track when Senna was racing. Especially the swimming pool area looks like a maze compared to how open it is now.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

  9. #389
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    414
    Sign me up for Dortmund too. We Germans have a bit of a shizophrenic relationship to Bayern München, it's perhaps the most despised club in the Bundesliga because of its 'big money, no soul' image. They even got their own 'tribute' (that is, spite) song by the popular punk rock band 'Die Toten Hosen':



    But as it's the only club that consistently does okay internationally, a lot of people forget that grudge when it comes to the Champion's League. Though in this case, with Dortmund as the other finalist, my guess is a majority of Germans would want Dortmund to win, except the Bayern and perhaps some die-hard Schalke fans.
    Last edited by Subatomic; 25-05-2013 at 01:20 AM.

  10. #390
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The Capital of Scandinavia
    Posts
    1,258
    Are Schalke and Dortmund local rivals or something?

    I actually watched last year's final in Berlin. Most people did indeed seem to root for BM, but that's not surprising. Deciding that Chelsea was the lesser evil, I took refuge at the hotel and watched the game with some Dutch people. Good times!

  11. #391
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    São Paulo
    Posts
    1,385
    A native German can explain it better than I can, but yes, Schalke and Dortmund are fierce rivals, and I believe there's some sort of class divide as well (Schalke is more of a working class team, Dortmund more bourgeois).

  12. #392
    Moderator Anthile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    People's Republic of Germany
    Posts
    2,787
    Not really. Both clubs are traditionally worker clubs, like most clubs in the Ruhrgebiet. This is also why the rivalry is relatively docile. No religious or political conflict, just two neighbors that really hate each other.
    Bayern vs. Dortmund is much more of a contrast. Rich versus "poor". The jovial Bavarians against the stoic Prussians. North versus South.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

    to wound the autumnal city.

  13. #393
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    North versus South.
    Someone from the actual northern Germany would probably vehemently object to calling Dortmund 'North'... though it is at least north of the Weißwurstäquator.

  14. #394
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The Capital of Scandinavia
    Posts
    1,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Subatomic View Post
    Someone from the actual northern Germany would probably vehemently object to calling Dortmund 'North'... though it is at least north of the Weißwurstäquator.
    Also north of the champions. Darn it.

  15. #395
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus c-Row's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Anus Mundi, Germany
    Posts
    1,319
    Quote Originally Posted by Subatomic View Post
    But as it's the only club that consistently does okay internationally, a lot of people forget that grudge when it comes to the Champion's League.
    I disagree - even internationally I am fine with whatever team wins agains Munich.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

  16. #396
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    368
    I was mainly cheering for Dortmund because I wanted Klopp to get this before his team gets dismantled around him, but I have to say I smiled at Arjen Robben getting the winner and finally lifting that trophy. Was a very entertaining final, anyway. Credit to both teams.

    In other news, Neymar is joining Barca and everyone else is doomed.

  17. #397
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    1,593
    It was definitely a nice moment for Robben. And it's nonsense like the following GIF that make me glad things turned out the way they did. The Champions League and the big tournaments are pretty much the only football I watch, and I'm always amazed how childish these grown men are (grabbing shirts, necks, raising hands & whining to the referee, etc.); the women do it too, but far less frequently.

    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

  18. #398
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    São Paulo
    Posts
    1,385
    While Bayern definitely deserved it, and that gif you linked was indeed ugly, it's always useful to remember that hero-of-the-day Robben has always been notoriously dirty himself. He's the only one of the 22 that played that I actively dislike.

    Very curious to see how Neymar will fare in Barcelona. The talent is definitely there, but I wonder if the recent 2-3 years of being spoiled rotten by the Brazilian media have made him beyond repair or not. I do hope not.

    And Monaco, well, was Monaco. Very boring race with some exciting moments. And the fact that they raced under the safety car for the whole time (sometimes the official one, but mostly another Mercedes, Rosberg's) really drives home the silliness of the new tyres.

    edit: apologies for the mistake regarding the Dortmund/Schalke rivalry.
    Last edited by Faldrath; 26-05-2013 at 07:11 PM.

  19. #399
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,647
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    that wasn't engineered for boredom like most recent new venues.
    *Sniggers* Very true, of course.

    Well I thought it was a pretty decent race. It's not always about the over-taking, of which there is admittedly little in Monaco, but just to see the cars race around. One of the few times where a spectacle event isn't such a bad thing. Don't remember the last time I saw a red flag! Glad that the next race, Montreal (now that IS a good track!), is shown fully live on BBC.

    I had forgotten as well that Patrick Stewart is doing the intro/outro narrations. Lends this sense of authority to it all.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

  20. #400
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    São Paulo
    Posts
    1,385
    Oh, my problem wasn't the overtaking. It's Monaco, you have to earn your overtakes there and the few that happened (especially Sutil's) were sensational. And I'm annoyed that Brazilian TV didn't show what kind of magic Raikkonen used to go from 16th to 10th in 4 laps. Perez was far, far too reckless, though.

    On this subject, gotta love Raikonnen:

    Asked if the drivers would talk to Perez, Raikkonen said: "That won't help. Maybe someone should punch him in the face."
    Hee :)

    My problem is that because of the stupid tyres the cars were going much more slowly and carefully than they should have been. I know tyre management has always been important, but it really sucks when it becomes *the* most important thing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •