Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Downing is a frankly bizarre selection, almost as mad as my nonsense about Joey Barton as captain! but hey, if he gets an assist it'll have been a superb tournament for him!

Downing, Terry and Carroll are poor selections.

Personally I hope Hodgson is using this squad as a last hurrah for all the over-praised, under-performing 'world stars' (Gerrard, Lampard etc etc) and ditches them for younger players for the qualifiers.

Network Hub
    What last hurrah though? None of them could win anything in an England shirt while they were in their prime. They haven't a chance in hell of actually winning it now, so why bother taking Gerrard and the rest just to go out in the first round again? Why not just let the next generation have some tournament experience. Take a squad of mostly new blood with some of the older heads to learn from, keep the aims realistic so that pressure is low and the supporters don't get on their backs, and run straight into the qualifiers with the same players.

But then Roy has already come out and said that it's inconceivable for a footballing nation as big as ours to go into a tournament without the intention of winning. So he has to pick what is apparently our strongest squad, in the vain hope we might win Euro 2012.

Suppose the FA can't worry all the official England sponsors with talk of realistic ambitions. That might damage viewing figures.

Gotta admit the squad announcement was pretty depressing today, almost every one has had the same effect since 2010 and it's getting beyond a joke now. I DO in a sense understand Hodgsons logic when he said he wanted to reward the players who had played in the qualifiers but in that case why is he even there? Surely someone at the FA could just pick the team and chuck them out, it'll be interesting to see who he picks post EURO2012.

Few points on the squad though think everyone has said similar:
    How the hell did this seasons running joke get a place? Downing has made 1 assist this season.
    Maybe Micah Richards should retire from internationals.
    Sturridge must feel like the new Darren Bent.
    Andy Carroll.
    Why do people in this country not recognise Michael Carrick?

also on a side note Hodgson said he liked it when Oxlade-Chamberlain played CM against Ambrosini and Pirlo.......Pirlo has been at Juve since last summer and Ambrosini didn't start that match.

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDog View Post
    What last hurrah though? None of them could win anything in an England shirt while they were in their prime. They haven't a chance in hell of actually winning it now, so why bother taking Gerrard and the rest just to go out in the first round again? Why not just let the next generation have some tournament experience. Take a squad of mostly new blood with some of the older heads to learn from, keep the aims realistic so that pressure is low and the supporters don't get on their backs, and run straight into the qualifiers with the same players.
    I fully agree. Once Cappello went, they should have told Stuart Pearce to pick a squad from all the under 23's, with 3 over that age (just like the olympics). Then that squad should have continued but with the new manager being put in place, and Hodgson is a reasonable choice.

Perhaps with him appointing Gary Neville (who said something similar about the squad) he will do that, but after the Euros. Fingers crossed.

Network Hub
    Yeah, just have to take the Euro's for what they are and see how they build the squad for Brazil, I suppose.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    To be honest, apart from the lack of Richards and the rejection of the always-reliable Lescott/Jagielka pairing, the first 11 will be pretty good (I imagine something like Hart Johnson Terry Lescott Cole Barry Parker Gerrard Young Walcott Rooney). That team should be quite difficult to beat and also fairly dangerous. The backup players are a bit dubious though. I continue to be baffled by the inclusion of Defoe, who has to be one of the least effective regular England forwards for ages. He doesn't really provide anything but goalscoring, and his international scoring record is woeful. Someone like Crouch has a much better record and provides better support play too.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

So apparently Carrick wasn't interested in going if he wasn't going to get a chance to start. Disappointing, but it says a lot that they basically decided he probably wouldn't start and left him to it. I'll also be interested to see if, when we're chasing a goal at some point, Hodgson tries Rooney and Welbeck as a pairing. They've been really good together at times this season.

One player who could be a difference-maker for us is Walcott if he can carry his form into the Euros as I've been quietly impressed with him a few times this season. He does actually seem to be improving his end product with age.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

So the international season has started for English cricket. Hooray!

Good start for England bowling the Windies out, Broad and Anderson looked to be on fine form. Although they may be a little disappointed that they couldn't bowl them out for under 200. Chanderpaul really does boost the Windies batting attack. He will be the key man for England to get out over the test series, if England can get the better of him, I don't think the Windies will make many big scores.
    I have a new book out. Fancy some cynical fantasy comedy? Check it out:
    http://amzn.to/1oVrKlx

Read my other stuff: http://tessstenson.blogspot.co.uk/
    I also contribute to http://www.coffeebreakgaming.co.uk/

Hopefully Broad takes one with his first ball of the next innings, as he'd then have a unique (I think) hat-trick spread over three days. :)

And Solskjaer could be going to Villa. Followed a link to this video which made me chuckle.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-9VQH9akwk
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Pfft, like they say cricket is for those who suck at sports.

Anyway, I've gotten really interested in rugby and american eggball during the past few days. Unfortunately the matches aren't telecast on the cable sports channels. Is there a way to watch/download these on the interwebs other than resorting to youtube?

The Windies collapsing. ^_^

And this Championship playoff final has delivered on it's potential thus far. I need West Ham to win for an accumulator but it's been a good game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    I just came here to say that bayern will win today,and erm,Netherlands is going to be winner of Euro 2012 :p

Once again, the stats don't make for pretty reading but incredibly enough Chelsea have pulled it off.

Ashley Cole (much as he's a dickhead) played an absolute blinder, as did Cahill. 1 corner all game to Bayern's several billion but stuck it away when it counted. Great save from Cech on the penalty in added time as well.

Bayern really should have won it and will look back on a lot of missed chances. Midway through the first half I was rooting for Bayern as Chelsea had done fuck all to deserve to get anything out of the game but Chelsea put in enough of an effort that my natural underdog supporting tendancies started to come to the fore.

Dramatic stuff anyway, and an entertaining game (well at least in the final stages!).
    Last edited by Lambchops; 19-05-2012 at 10:44 PM.

Network Hub
    I suppose I should try and act vaguely like a neutral but well, that was a victory on par with Greece's Euro win. A trophy earned through anti-football.

Pah.

(Well done to the Chelsea fans, and I can't begrudge Di Matteo lifting that trophy.)

I have to say the goalies did an awesome job with the penalties. I could watch Neuer all day.
    Apart from that, I think it's quite sad that Chelsea won, because I don't think turtling makes for beautiful or entertaining football, and they just didn't deserve it at all. I can't even blame the referee!

@ Labbes

Neuer did a good job scoring his as well!

---

I bet if you added up the stats from Chelsea's final games in the Champion's League with the exception of the all important goal stat of course, it would make for uncomfortable reading for Chelsea fans!

At a guess I'd say Bayern must have had about 5 times as many attempts at goal (albiet at least 5 of them seemingly attempts by Robben to hit an abusive Chelsea fan, as that's the only way to explain just how wayward they were!).

Funnily enough, I have a sneaking suspicion that manager elect Di Matteo will struggle if he indeed gets the job. I'm glad for him that he did well (he's one of the more likeable characters to have been at Chelsea in recent years) but that squad is in dire need of some freshening up and I don't honestly know if he's the best man for the job. More than deserves a decent chance at it though.

I agree that Robben must have seen somebody in the audience he really didn't like. On both sides of the field, too (or the person changed seats, who knows). People at my university are going to be so sad this week...

Just did our Euro 2012 sweepstake in the office.

I got Portugal, Croatia and Czech Republic.

My 2. :(

Unlucky Ian!

Really looking forward to the Euros, it's usually a quality tournament (that time when Greece won aside).

Until then I'll be tided over sports wise by the French Open, where I'm going to be terribly boring and predict a Nadal victory (the woman's singles is as unpredictable as ever but Sharapova seems on good form).