Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    I've decided England will probably draw against Sweden and lose against Ukraine to a fairytale Shevchenko last-gasp winner after an interminably dull match. Years of supporting a middle-of-the-road/shit club team has me well prepared for disappointment and mediocrity so I'm not too fussed.
    I'm thinking along the same lines. 0-0 v Sweden, 1-0 to Ukraine. I'm also not entirely fussed about mediocrity or excitement from any England matches. I'm a Blackpool fan so get all my football excitement watching them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDog View Post
    Jockie, I think you might have followed through on that brainfart. Sounds like you're describing Schweinsteiger. Lahm is the captain. Although I can honestly understand why you'd assume it's Schweinsteiger
    Schweinsteiger is the captain in spirit though really (probably). He pulls all the strings and looks very german, so he must be.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Ireland.

We got all hyped up last week. Bit crushed by Croatia. Now devastated by Spain. </3.
    Free speech don't mean unchallengeable speech.

Swansea got a new manager today Michael Laudrup. Wish they had spoken to Harry Redknapp first but oh well, Swansea have a habit of finding good managers so I am hopeful of a top half finish next season.

Asian gold medallist female relay runner accused of being a man and arrested for rape lol

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/150620...used-rape.html

Quote Originally Posted by Leopig View Post
    Swansea got a new manager today Michael Laudrup. Wish they had spoken to Harry Redknapp first but oh well, Swansea have a habit of finding good managers so I am hopeful of a top half finish next season.
    Harry? I think he would've undone a lot of the work Rodgers has done there, he's a good manager, but tactically quite inept.

England

*dies*

Network Hub
    Did I just witness England not crumbling under pressure? Gosh. Great second-half of football, maybe not pretty but certainly exciting. Just once I'd love England to have a 2 goal cushion in the last 10 minutes! Couldn't bear to watch at times.

Difficult thing to take from that game has to be, was Theo better for coming on as a sub, even though Milner was a complete waste of space, or should he be on from the start? It's not like Walcott lacks for effort and work rate, which is all Milner gives you when he gets picked to be more defensive. He's frustratingly inconsistent, but I think Walcott can get at the opposition defence better than any other player we have, including Rooney. I often think his detractors dislike him simply because he didn't live up to the ridiculous hype bestowed on a 17 year old (heads up Ox, Theo is your future). The truth is, for all that he lacks ability on the ball, his runs and pace get goals and assists. He just needs to have a few less duff games.

What a fantastic game.

End product from Theo and good defending from Johnson. Have we collided with an alternate reality?

Did anyone see Zlatan giving Hart some mouth when Sweden went 2-1. He's a massive cock.
    Last edited by duff; 15-06-2012 at 11:15 PM.

Would still prefer Crouch to Carroll.

I'd go for Rooney and Welbeck. Storming header from Carroll but his movement isn't as good as Welbeck's. Not as good tracking back either, gives away too many fouls including the one for the first goal. Crouch is the same, flaps his elbows around like a chicken and international refs don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    What a fantastic game.

End product from Theo and good defending from Johnson. Have we collided with an alternate reality?

Did anyone see Zlatan giving Hart some mouth when Sweden went 2-1. He's a massive cock.
    The right side of the pitch must have been caught in some kind of backwards universe.

Yeah saw the mouthing off from Zlatan. Was delighted that Hart just brushed it off, you suspect if Shrek had been on the pitch there might have been a brawl.

To answer DiamondDog, I'm afraid Theo has had too many duff games to be forgiven but I'm jolly happy he keeps going. I think continuing to use him as an impact sub, ala Defoe, against tired legs would be an ideal strategy.

Welbeck kind of annoyed me because he contributed barely anythibng the whole game and then went and scored that amazing goal.

Also I get the impression that Young is getting confused with being switched position so often as he kept drifting into that one off the striker role, giving Cole no support, which made Cole look surprisingly rubbish

Finally, I thought Gerrard should have left that late chance to the Ox - it just seemed right, that he would score.

Wow. Great second half of football.

My random thoughts in no particular order (brought to you under the influence of many beers):

Johnson - Looked awfully out of position for the own goal, then goes and makes several stupendous tackles!
    Walcott - Not shit. And his run then cross for Welbeck was great. Still not 1st XI but better, as Timoffee said, as impact sub.
    Welbeck - best player v France, good tonight. Suffers from lack of balls to his feet/to run on to, but his goal was magic.
    Gerrard - great cross for 1st goal, but nothing else but lame shots from too far out and shying away from the ball
    Hart - did ok, but needs to shout at defence more
    Terry - knob
    Parker - did he do anything? 1 shot?
    Milner - one very good cross, then nothing. Should be replaced by Ox or Young on right
    Lescott - solid, but let Ibramhimovic get too much space
    Cole - don't really recall anything bad. Or good.
    Carroll - good header. Tried too hard to look like Ibrahimovic.
    Young - did he do anything either?

Imbrahimovic - knob

No idea what was going on for our set pieces BUT WHO CARES LET'S GO MENTAL WOOP WOOP.

Seriously though, "better" England teams than this one would have crumbled upon going 2-1 down and an ill-deserved draw would have been the best we got out of it.

England's disappointment of the tournament thus far has to be Ashley Young. He's been one of our best game-changers in the 12-18 months before the Euros but aside from perhaps one pass I can't think of a single thing he's done with the ball in the last two games.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Second half in particular was thoroughly enjoyable. I expected England to cave at 2-1 and to their credit they pulled it off. Entertaining half that both sides had there moments in and well perhaps a draw would have been a fairer result and there was a big element of luck to the finish of the winning goal (which apparently it was churlish of me to point out despite the fact I'd praised the build up play with a "good pass" during the early stages and a "lovely stuff" after Walcott getting the cross away).

Once again I find myself bemused by the pundits, Shearer seemed full of praise and certain they would win at half time but then rather critical after they, err, actually won the damn thing! Bizarre.

Anyway it is at least in their hands and despite me predicting a 2-1 win for Ukraine pre tournament I actually reckon that on the showings so far England should manage the draw they need (though it'll probably be uncomfortable for England fans at times).

However they really need the balls to push for victory if they want to progress as I can't seem them succeeding against the Spanish.

@ Ian

Concur about Ashley Young. Only memorable thing he did that game was do his usual making the most of a challenge against him.

Are people still on the Walcott has no footballing ability thing? His Arsenal form/consistency says different.

Quote Originally Posted by LaunchJC View Post
    Are people still on the Walcott has no footballing ability thing? His Arsenal form/consistency says different.
    He's poor technically, he really is, if you look at other wide players like Adam Johnson or Ashley Young they are much more comfortable on the ball. He also has a tendency to make poor decisions, he crosses when he should come inside, he comes inside when he should cross. Hopefully this aspect of his game will improve when he gets older. Like you say the end of this season he has been great.

What he can do is take people on with his raw pace, and England have few enough players who can do that. If he can improve his wider play he would be fantastic. I hope he does because he's a nice lad with a good attitude. It's not easy the amount of pressure he was put under when he got shoved into the squad in 2006, sometimes I think maybe he tries too hard and ends up making hasty decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    He's poor technically, he really is, if you look at other wide players like Adam Johnson or Ashley Young they are much more comfortable on the ball. He also has a tendency to make poor decisions, he crosses when he should come inside, he comes inside when he should cross. Hopefully this aspect of his game will improve when he gets older. Like you say the end of this season he has been great.

What he can do is take people on with his raw pace, and England have few enough players who can do that. If he can improve his wider play he would be fantastic. I hope he does because he's a nice lad with a good attitude. It's not easy the amount of pressure he was put under when he got shoved into the squad in 2006, sometimes I think maybe he tries too hard and ends up making hasty decisions.
    Have to say I disagree there, he's far from technically poor, his finishing alone is proof of that and actually on the ball he's not half as bad as people seem to make out, he's just not a player that English people are used to. He's a striker converted to an inside forward, or a modern wide forward, hence why he's not a great crosser, his style is to make runs onto the ball inside from wide positions.

Unfortunately England are obsessed with 4-4-2 which suits him about as much as playing Centre Back, but even though he doesn't fit the reason he's so useful is because of his style, when in possession he will almost always look to come inside almost forcing a 4-3-3. Either way form wise and statistically he's out best option for wide positions right now, especially with the return of Rooney.

Mmm.. still not convinced. There's a world of difference between Theo and top class inside fowards like Silva and Villa. I'd like to see him using his raw pace and hugging the touchline. Though maybe I'm just old fashioned! Half the time when he cuts inside he gets caught in two minds and ends up making a bad decision. But if we get Spain in the quarters I'd like to see us play Welbeck, Theo and Rooney in a 433 and play on the counter. Spain love to hold a high line and that would be perfect for Theo.

So, do we have any rugger buggers around? I'm still trying to process the second test, absolute roller coaster. On balance I think I'm pleased, especially by Ben Youngs' performance. Not a big Marler fan though.