Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    If Gareth Barry were available, England could deploy a 4-3-3 and do a decent job in midfield against Spain, at least in terms of breaking up possession and lumping it forward. But he's not available, and I don't particularly rate Milner. Jones would be a gamble.

4-2-3-1 makes more sense, I think, with Rooney playing behind a striker.

Well I think a lot of the Theo debate would clear itself up with a 4-3-3, but right now it feels like we could only dream of playing that or a 4-2-3-1, but I agree we need to move to something which takes advantage of Rooneys creativity more.

Our real problem seems to be a lack of midfield quality (available right now anyway) and now we have a bit more depth up front, makes sense to move Rooney deeper.

Theo is like a faster version of Shaun Wright-Phillips with less control. God i wish SWP went to Arsenal instead of Chelsea, his career would have been so much different.

Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    If Gareth Barry were available, England could deploy a 4-3-3 and do a decent job in midfield against Spain, at least in terms of breaking up possession and lumping it forward. But he's not available, and I don't particularly rate Milner. Jones would be a gamble.

4-2-3-1 makes more sense, I think, with Rooney playing behind a striker.
    Your right, we are threadbare in the middle. Though I don't rate Gareth Barry that much either. Wilshere and Cleverley could be great players, it's just our bloody luck that they both have had big injuries. If they both recover well I think England's future will be a lot brighter.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yes Greece!
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Fascinating end to Group A. Based on the 1st round of matches, Russia were being hyped as a good bet for later stages and the Czechs were being written off. How things change in a week.
    Last edited by Gerbick; 16-06-2012 at 11:35 PM. Reason: spelling

Lol in total Greece must have played about 15 minutes of good football. Still that's 10 more than England!

Typical that Germany get CZ or Greece in the quarters.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Germany aren't through yet...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Hilarious disqualification in the men's tennis final at Queens by kicking an advertising board into a line judge!

Fun little bit of trivia at the bottom of that article is that the first man to be disqualified at Wimbledon (of all people) was "Tiger" Tim Henman, the mild mannered nearly man of British tennis.

Also today there was an excellent performance in the Moto GP by Cal Crutchlow, racing from the back of the grid with a broken ankle to get to 6th place including a stupendous final lap overtake.

It has been an entertaining day of sport so far, hopefully the conclusion of Euro 2012's "Group of Death" will be equally compelling.

So what if Greece vote against the Euro and get kicked out, will the football team be disqualified from Euro 2012 too?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopig View Post
    So what if Greece vote against the Euro and get kicked out, will the football team be disqualified from Euro 2012 too?
    No, why would they? The Euro 2012 championship is organized by UEFA, which is made up of dozens of national football organisations. The EU or euro-zone have nothing to do with it.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

err because you have to be a European team to play in it?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Israel says hello.

Are Israel in the Tournament?

It's the UEFA that matters; a lot of countries who have nothing to with the EU (European Union) are a member of UEFA, and as such, can attempt to qualify to enter the championship.

No, because they failed to qualify.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~

Network Hub

/10char

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    They would be if they had qualified. UEFA membership has nothing to do with being in the EU or even being in Europe. For instance, every European country other than Vatican City and I *think* Monaco is a member of UEFA (also no Kosovo, if you count Kosovo as a country; some countries have multiple football teams (UK, Denmark)). There are as far as I am aware three 100% non-European countries in UEFA: Cyprus, Israel, and Armenia.

But seems we are being pedantic now, the UK is not a country, it is a collection of 3 countries. England, Scotland and Ireland.

Anyway, Portugal recovered nicely from their loss to Germany to advance to the next round. Germany keeps winning, which is quite impressive considering the supposedly strong countries in Group B.

Italy will have to win tomorrow, and hope the other game doesn't end in a draw. Should be interesting.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    Italy will have to win tomorrow, and hope the other game doesn't end in a draw. Should be interesting.
    Apart from the (fairly unlikely) scenario where Spain and Croatia draw 1-1 and Italy beat Ireland 3-1, which would leave Italy and Croatia with identical records and thus Italy would go through based on their superior ranking.

In a way that seems slightly more unfair than the coin toss but at least the teams know where they stand with it. A match has actually been decided in the European championship before. A doff of the cap to anyone who can tell me who was playing (without having to cheat and look at Google to find out like I did!).