Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    So, yeah, they're pretty fucking ubiquitous.
    In the US, perhaps. But US != The whole world. Neither does the UK (anymore). They may be somewhat ubiquitous in a small number of countries... but they're far, far from ubiquitous in many more countries. Then there is the question of whether these are PCs capable of gaming (at the level of an XBox or whathaveyou).

PCs are far, far from ubiquitous enough for the question "Who doesn't own a PC?" to be a rhetorical one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    The guy wrote on his own blog. He didn't write it for a magazine or a site
    Then what he was writing was emphatically not doing his job, it was something he was writing as a hobby, for himself, and not being paid for. Hence the entire argument over 'he should do his job properly' is moot.

Network Hub
    If you count sub-Saharan Africa, sure, but they don't play video games.
    I live in sub-Saharan Africa. I play video games. I assure you there are a bunch of us.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oof View Post
    I live in sub-Saharan Africa. I play video games. I assure you there are a bunch of us.
    A bunch.

10char
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Network Hub
    A bunch.

10char
    Congrats on using research that is 5-7 years out of date, I guess. Also notice how a bunch of countries are missing.

Ignorant and patronising. It's remarkable how you think you think you can tell me about where I live.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Then what he was writing was emphatically not doing his job, it was something he was writing as a hobby, for himself, and not being paid for. Hence the entire argument over 'he should do his job properly' is moot.
    What did I originally say? Oh yeah this: -

The dude played 6 hours, barely enough to even get through the first act. Reads like a twat. His half assed assessment is unimportant. Absence of a comments option says it all.
    I don't even know why anyone cares what the guy thinks.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

His assessment may be half-arsed, but that has nothing to do with the fact that he 'only' spent six hours playing it.

Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    i don't even.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    His assessment may be half-arsed, but that has nothing to do with the fact that he 'only' spent six hours playing it.
    I'm inclined to agree with this. 6 hours is a lot of time to decide whether game is for you or not. I'm willing to wager that most people wouldn't spend that much time trying to play a game to decide whether they like it or not. If he was writing a full review for a professional site I'd say it was a particularly bad attempt, but I doubt most people would sit through 6 hours of something they weren't enjoying.

If a game hasn't grabbed you in 6 hours of play, then it's not unreasonable to decide you don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    I'm inclined to agree with this. 6 hours is a lot of time to decide whether game is for you or not. I'm willing to wager that most people wouldn't spend that much time trying to play a game to decide whether they like it or not. If he was writing a full review for a professional site I'd say it was a particularly bad attempt, but I doubt most people would sit through 6 hours of something they weren't enjoying.

If a game hasn't grabbed you in 6 hours of play, then it's not unreasonable to decide you don't like it.
    but he's not "deciding whether or not the game is for [him]", he's attempting to formulate a cogent opinion on the game's worth and/or effectiveness.

that is, most assuredly, not able to be done in 6 hours for a game that takes 35+ hours to complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider Jerusalem View Post
    but he's not "deciding whether or not the game is for [him]", he's attempting to formulate a cogent opinion on the game's worth and/or effectiveness.

that is, most assuredly, not able to be done in 6 hours for a game that takes 35+ hours to complete.
    He's entirely allowed to do so. It's his opinion, I don't understand why people have having such a hard time grasping this. Disagree with it all you want, but you can't call him wrong for having an opinion that you don't like. Regarding the 6 hours, I'll take this quote from the opinion piece:

Quote Originally Posted by The Article
    Some Witcher 2 fans will undoubtedly claim that six hours are not enough to give the game its full due. To that I say: If you've suffered through six hours of an experience and remain unhappy, you're either (1) playing a video game, or (2) in prison.
    It's a bit over the top, but he has a point: if you're not having fun after investing 6 hours into the game, why would you continue to play it? I highly doubt most of us have invested that much time into a game that you didn't like from the initial play time. If the author found nothing to entertain him in the first 6 hours, I think it's entirely fine for him to say that and put out a piece saying he didn't like the game. If he'd acted as if he'd played the full game, or was claiming to be writing some professional review, it might be a different story. But even then reviews are opinion pieces; a game review is mostly subjective and not objective, it can't be wrong, it can only be a different opinion.

Pretty much everyone's argument boils down to "Well he didn't like a game that I didn't like therefore he's wrong" which is ridiculous. Also if the game hasn't grabbed you in the first 6 hours, it's doing something wrong. Look at the first few sequences of Serious Sam 3. Plenty of people were ready to pull the plug on that corridor shooter sequence, but fortunately it pulled up just short of the point when most would have given up. Had it gone on any longer, opinions might be different.

Funny thing, I'm pretty sure the RPS crew have written lots of pieces on games they haven't finished. Here's one.

And so all I need to do is to produce a game that takes longer than the average human lifespan to complete (ctrl-c/ctrl-v will come in handy here) and none shall be able to gainsay my claim that it is mankind's greatest achievement to date as they won't be allowed to have an opinion on the matter until they've finished it.
    Last edited by Rii; 07-05-2012 at 04:48 AM.

i see intellectual honesty is at a premium, here.

i see intellectual honesty is at a premium, here.
    The guy came out and said he didn't finish the game. He said he played for 6 hours, this is what he saw, and this is why he didn't like it. I see no deception here. All I see is a bunch of people getting upset because he didn't like a game that they liked. Saying "I don't like Game A" isn't the same as "The world is flat" in that it's almost entirely subjective. My opinion on Game A is no more right or wrong than yours. You can disagree but it's not wrong.

Unless I said something like Game A is all about eating babies when it clearly isn't... but I see no deliberate misrepresentation here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Who is Tom Bisell?

The guy came out and said he didn't finish the game. He said he played for 6 hours, this is what he saw, and this is why he didn't like it. I see no deception here. All I see is a bunch of people getting upset because he didn't like a game that they liked. Saying "I don't like Game A" isn't the same as "The world is flat" in that it's almost entirely subjective. My opinion on Game A is no more right or wrong than yours. You can disagree but it's not wrong.

Unless I said something like Game A is all about eating babies when it clearly isn't... but I see no deliberate misrepresentation here.
    i'm not just talking about him.

also, he did deliberately misinterpret the game. he wrongly stated that there are only four meditation times when that's just entirely wrong. and one of the things he might've figured out by playing the game.

anyway, i'm not sure who is upset about this. i find it laughable more than anything. clearly he's entitled to his opinion, but it just happens to not carry any weight. still the same amount of skin on my back and/or teeth.

also, he did deliberately misinterpret the game. he wrongly stated that there are only four meditation times when that's just entirely wrong. and one of the things he might've figured out by playing the game.
    He did play the game. He played it for 6 hours. He didn't realise he could select other meditation times. He clearly didn't put that there deliberately to misrepresent the game. Really, you can't claim he didn't play the game and simultaneously complain he only played it for 6 hours...

*playing the game more

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    He did play the game. He played it for 6 hours. He didn't realise he could select other meditation times. He clearly didn't put that there deliberately to misrepresent the game. Really, you can't claim he didn't play the game and simultaneously complain he only played it for 6 hours...
    There are only 4 meditation times if you're playing it with a controller instead of K+M. Why that is, I have no Idea.

*playing the game more
    He played it for 6 hours. If he didn't get it by then, I doubt playing the full 30 or so would have made it any clearer.

Or perhaps Wolfenswan is correct.