Obscure Node

What games to work out a new computer?

So, largely thanks to Hard Choices, I've finally opened up my wallet and finished building that computer I dreamt of building back when I didn't have any money (though, funnily enough, I don't think I bought a single thing Mr. Laird recommended).

The thing is, I'm now realizing that none of the games I normally play impress my new computer very much; since my old one was low on performance (but full of cat hair), it seems like I've been subconsciously avoiding games that can make use of the top end of the computational spectrum.

Since I'm tired of the computer sniggering at me when I play Legend of Grimrock or (god forbid) Cthulhu Saves the World, what other games should I be looking at? I know that Skyrim and The Witcher 2 are up there, but I just don't have the time to settle in for that kind of adventure right now (and also I refuse to pay full price for Skyrim on general principles). Crysis is the old benchmark standby, but is it still that hard to push its pixels around? Maybe Crysis 2? (is that even a thing? I wasn't paying attention)

What games should I get to really make use of my shiny new computer?

Lesser Hivemind Node agentorange's Avatar
    The Witcher 2
    ArmA 2
    The STALKER games with some of the super graphics mods
    GTA IV, again with some super graphics mods

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I think playing Crysis and being able to say that yes, your PC can run it, is worth the price of admission alone. It'll most likely be able to run it high, but it does still hold up incredibly well. Anyhow, other than those mentioned previously, there's also Battlefield 3 and Shogun 2: Total War that come to mind.

Realistically though, I'd say simply being able to play a game and not needing to look at the system requirements (even if you still need to look at recommended, knowing you easily pass the minimum is satisfying in itself) and playing it comfortably on desirable settings should be enough.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

I haven't played it, but supposedly Crysis 2 with the DX11 patch is fairly demanding. Also, Battlefield 3, GTA4 with the ICEenhancer mod.

Quote Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
    GTA IV, again with medium graphics settings
    Fixed it.

Battlefield 3 is great for some pop in, pop out playing.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    Dwarf Fortress.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Wasteland.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    Shogun 2: Total War that come to mind.
    Yeah, Shogun 2: Total War is a great way to make you think you wasted a couple hundred euros or pounds on new hardware. That game just drags pretty much every reasonably priced system to its knees.

Most PC games of the past few years will do, or just check out some graphics card reviews to see which games are being used in benchmarking. Games like Crysis, Metro 2033, Dirt 3, Portal 2, Starcraft 2, Batman Arkham City, Shogun 2: Total War, Battlefield 3 etc. are often used.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Blacklight Retribution is a free game with great graphics and all the DX11 bells and whistles. Try that one out. And for the love of god, don't play Arma 2 unless you like massive input lag. That game runs like shit.

Network Hub
    Witcher 2 is one of the more demanding (and pretty) games around, I'd definitely go with that recommendation.

Also, I hope your new box has fan filters to keep all the cat hair out ;)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Arkham City is a pretty nice looking game running maxed out in DX11. Supposedly all the bugs have finally been ironed out as well. I beat it before the patch and never had any issues in DX11 on a 6950 2GB.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Obscure Node
    Could anyone post up a reliable guide to modding GTAIV?

After seeing those superbiff videos of this mod and than mod I spent a few hours fiddling with it but the results were absurd.

Lesser Hivemind Node agentorange's Avatar
    Go ask Sephking in the screenshot thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frightlever View Post
    Dwarf Fortress.
    This - if you're looking to work out everything else in your computer BUT your graphics card, try playing on a large map of Dwarf Fortress in a dangerous area.

Starting at around 80 to 100 dwarfs, my medium-powered computer used to slow down more and more (before Witcher 2 fried it for good).
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.