Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Company of Heroes 2

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1353324..._for_2013.html

Eastern front, out 2013, lots of snow.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Yesplz.

Still playing Eastern Front mod, consequently. Artillery is madness.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Will there be Stalingrad?

Oh, what am I saying? Of there will be! But they better get Minsk there, too
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Network Hub AlonePlusEasyTarget's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    Will there be Stalingrad?

Oh, what am I saying? Of there will be! But they better get Minsk there, too
    7:03 AM - Alone + Easy Target: sscscccccacescsqaqdsqsqqsqqqeeeeeeeeeeeseesqecccee eeeedsssssssssqeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeq
    7:03 AM - The Player of Games: Play by email, FPS edition

Steam|Last.FM

-snip-

Biggest tank battle in Ostfront was Kursk. Fuck, I need to re-read my history books...
    Last edited by Voon; 03-05-2012 at 06:27 PM.
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    As someone who hasn't played COH but has played DOW2, on a scale of 1-40K, how excited should I be about this?
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    That's interesting. I wonder how THQ's financial troubles will effect development. Hopefully not at all.

I've probably only sunk 10 hours into CoH, but I'm looking forward to finishing ALLLLL of the missions when I'm back home on my proper computer.

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    As someone who hasn't played COH but has played DOW2, on a scale of 1-40K, how excited should I be about this?
    Personally I think the gameplay is somewhere between DoW 1 & 2. There's still base building and territory capturing, but it's not the focus of it. The units also feel more valuable than they do in DoW 1, less of a meat-grinder.

I've found my time in the game fantastic, and I'd definitely recommend checking it out on sale if you're at all interested.
    Last edited by TailSwallower; 03-05-2012 at 06:46 PM.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Quote Originally Posted by TailSwallower View Post
    Personally I think the gameplay is somewhere between DoW 1 & 2. There's still base building and territory capturing, but it's not the focus of it. The units also feel more valuable than they do in DoW 1, less of a meat-grinder.
    I'd argue that unit retention is the primary focus, followed closely by territory control. DoW2 is like a distilled essence of unit retention and soft counters, but the scale is far larger with CoH.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Is this their big announcement ?? To be honest i expected COH 2 and not that Homeworld 3 lol. Anyway good news for me,i have COH:Anthology somewhere laying hihi,but still didn't completed any of games lol. I played coop for most of the time.

Network Hub
    I'm really excited for this, I do hope we'll get some German missions pre-Moscow where they're actually winning though, although I guess most of the fun of Barbarossa was at a strategic rather than tactical level.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    http://www.gamershell.com/download_15378.shtml Go decide for yourself.

I'd say rather excited, because it will have learned from DoW2.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    I like CoH but it's hard to get really excited because we've been playing around in these settings for ages in mainstream games. There were other parts of the war, guys. And it wasn't just the US, Germans and Russians in WW2 either.

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    I like CoH but it's hard to get really excited because we've been playing around in these settings for ages in mainstream games. There were other parts of the war, guys. And it wasn't just the US, Germans and Russians in WW2 either.
    There's a pile of Pacific campaign games, too, but if you're talking about settings like Manchuria or the Philippines or anywhere where the fighting was laughably one-sided in one direction, then laughably one-sided in the other, how would you make an RTS out of that?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    I'm very excited about this, CoH is my favorite RTS of all time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    -snip-

Biggest tank battle in Ostfront was Kursk. Fuck, I need to re-read my history books...
    If I recall correctly, it's the biggest tank battle of all time.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    If I recall correctly, it's the biggest tank battle of all time.
    It is.

10char

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    There's a pile of Pacific campaign games, too, but if you're talking about settings like Manchuria or the Philippines or anywhere where the fighting was laughably one-sided in one direction, then laughably one-sided in the other, how would you make an RTS out of that?
    Losing is fun sometimes, depending on how it's done. Trying to lose the least (does that make sense?) could be an interesting gameplay mechanic.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Eastern front
    I'll probably buy it for MP. Because I have a feeling SP is going to be a bunch of myths, cliché and blatant ripoffs from Enemy at The Gates( or something even worse like post-Soviet Russian movies).
    Last edited by coldvvvave; 04-05-2012 at 05:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    I'll probably buy it for MP. Because I have a feeling SP is going to be a bunch of myths, cliché and blatant ripoffs from Enemy at The Gates( or something even worse like post-Soviet Russian movies).
    Why? Relic isn't Treyarch. In fact, I think they did the Battle for Caen, Falaise Pocket and Operation Market Garden quite well.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Why? Relic isn't Treyarch. In fact, I think they did the Battle for Caen, Falaise Pocket and Operation Market Garden quite well.
    I heard most people who made CoH left Relic even before DoW2 but thats beside a point. The problem here is that there isn't much good unbiased reference material anywhere. Relic won't bother with archives( and some of those are not very reliable too). History books vary depending on the country, but most are basically an official countrys POV, some books are written by god-knows-who, some are straight from Cold War times when WW2 history was a propaganda tool( not like things changed) and some are just rubbish. Movies are even worse. Some memoirs and interviews with veterans are good but surely biased too, sometimes factually incorrect( vets are old now, obviously) or jsut plain fake. I have no idea what is Relic's reference material going to be. Are they going to watch recent Russian or German movies? Thats a terrible idea, at least if they watch Russian ones( those are stuck in Perestroika times, made by people who don't give a damn or openly despise their own country, people and other things. Oh and they are getting money from the Government. It's a famous Perestroika scyzhophrenia). If Relic hire some kind of WW2 expert, well, lets hope he isn't some sort of unscrupulous immigrant who capitalized on being a janitor in some backwater KGB office.