Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar

Sonic Generations likely coming to PC

Edit: As of 11th October, Sonic Generations is officially coming to the PC. I've tidied up this post to reflect that so new readers actually have a good idea of what is going on.

Potential system requirements:
    Minimum Requirements
    Microsoft Windows 7/Vista/XP Intel Pentium Dual-Core T4200 (2x2.0GHz) or AMD equivalent 2GB RAM (Windows 7/XP)/3GB RAM (Windows Vista) NVIDIA GeForce 8800 / ATI Radeon HD 2900 11 GB free hard drive space

Recommended Requirements
    Microsoft Windows 7 Intel Core i5 @ 2.66 GHz / AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3.0 GHz 3GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 / ATI Radeon HD 5850 11 GB free hard drive space
    Confirmed details, as declared by Sega themselves:
    -Steamworks and Steam Cloud.
    -'Full stereoscopic 3D'
    -Resolutions up to 1080p (I wonder how long it'll take before the community breaks that one)
    -Achievements
    -Online leaderboards
    (-Controller support - Not officially confirmed, but button prompts on PC press release shots)

Digital release date:
    US - Nov 1st.
    Europe - Nov 4th.

Europe will be getting a boxed copy. Release date TBC, but sometime in November. (Wearing my speculation hat, the 3DS version is due out on the 24th, which would seem like a reasonable time to also distribute the PC version)

Pre-orders are currently available at greemangaming (16.95) and Direct2Drive (19.95). There will also be pre-order available on Steam with certain incentives, but it is yet not up.

Original post:

I don't know who cares about this, but as someone who still has a fondness for the blue blur, I'm hoping there might be some others out there who also share the love.

So Generations is the 20th anniversary title for Sonic. Primarily for 360/PS3, some material was found that looked like it was coming to 3DS and PC too. The 3DS version was later confirmed, but nothing heard of the PC version. Following a thread on NeoGAF, I found this post. It's a registry for the beta on Steam.

There's been no word of any beta for any platform, but the actual anniversary isn't too far away, so it's not entirely unlikely that they'll announce something then. Either way, the potential is fantastic. Other than the game looking amazing, which it does already, supposing the game is moddable in any feasible way, it might be possible to have a true HD remake of the older Sonics...and I guess the newer, crapper, ones if people actually want those. (I take exception to Sonic Colours on the Wii, released last year, which was actually pretty good)

So yeah. Here are some videos released so far. Worth noting that the game plans to convert stages so both 2 and 3D can be used. For older levels, that means them imagined in 3D, for the 'younger' levels, 3D levels are imagined in 2D. The music changes aswell - Classic levels are made 16-bit sounding and vice-verca.

Green Hill Zone in both 'Classic' 2D and 'Modern' 3/2.5D.

City Escape (from Sonic Adventure 2)

City Escape 'Classic'
    Last edited by The JG Man; 11-10-2011 at 10:22 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    I'm waiting for Sonic Fan Remix to come to PC myself.

Network Hub
    You mean the way the episodes were supposed to come to PC? -.-

I'm not holding my breath

I'm a big fan of Sonic and I'm a primarily a PC gamer but I still have no desire to actually play Sonic on the PC. Wouldn't just feel right in an irrational way for me.

In general Generations chattery, I am excited.

So long as it has controller support, I'd rather play it on my PC than on my 360. I actually bought Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 & Knuckles via Steam (yes, I know, I'm sad) and I was fine with it, especially with a controller. Generation is looking pretty fantastic though.

As for episodes, Creeping Death, which I'm guessing you're referring to Sonic 4? Firstly, I have no idea about that on the PC front. Secondly, you're really, really, better off not playing it and not having it crap on your memory of classic, actually good, Sonic. Playing the demo alone was so depressing. I gave it a chance, but it just wasn't there.

In regards to other playable PC Sonic's, the Sonic Fan Remix demo can be downloaded on the clicky. There's also Sonic 2 HD, whenever that's due. Whilst I really like these projects, we have no real clue when they're out. SFR shows a lot of potential, but either Sonic Team took some inspiration on what the community was doing, or they just happened to be going in that direction anyhow and the results are pretty similar.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    In regards to other playable PC Sonic's, the Sonic Fan Remix demo can be downloaded on the clicky.
    I'm waiting for the whole thing with all Sonic 2,3,CD,Knuckles levels. I'm greedy like that.

I don't blame you.

Whilst certainly less proofy than the Steam registry, Game.co.uk seem to have a listing for 18. The price goes in line with the RRP in the US for the console versions being $50, so it stands to reason that the console version over here will be sub 40 (35?) and that the standard 25-30 for PC will be lower still.

In related note, the demo is available on the PS3 and 360 (although the 360 appears to play better due to some issues on the PS3) for a limited amount of time, ~19 days as of this post.

Worth considering that unless the product is removed, you will pay that price unless it goes lower. That is to say, if it IS coming out for PC and they raise the price, pre-ordering now will mean you won't have to pay any more. It says this in the payment/checkout section, so if you're interested no harm in laying it down, especially considering money isn't taken until just before release.
    Last edited by The JG Man; 25-06-2011 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Clarification

*Wipes dust*

D2D also has a version up for pre-order but only for access to countries that appear to fit in with GFWL. I don't want it to, but this is one of the few exceptions I'd make for GFWL.

This also follows a blog update by Sega whereby they said the game was coming out which platforms, including the PC and then promptly removed the PC tag. Presumably it'll be coming out slightly later than the console releases, but I'm cool with that.

I know, I know. It's Sonic. But I find it fun. And so does my inner 5 year old...and outer 21 year old self.