Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Worthwhile JRPGs and other eastern games

I've just recently began to let go of my angst towards all things manga/anime. Now I'm a bit curious. Can you suggest any modern good JRPGs or other games? I played FF7 back in the days but that's about it.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

What, you mean on PC or in general?
    to wound the autumnal city.

Heh, PC. Took that one for granted since it's pc gaming discussion forum ^^

But there are so few for PC! The Last Remnant is about the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

However, there are some good PS1 and PS2 emulators out there now.

Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    yeah, the pickings are slim on pc for good jrps. your best bet would be to get the various emulators and have at.

Network Hub
    As you probably know, the Japanese do not release much stuff on PC. If you want plot-heavy, then visual novels are probably where it's at. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_novel

"JRPGs" are really just visual novels which think it's a good idea to waste your time in tedious grinding before you are allowed to see the plot.

The Dark Souls port is the only Japanese PC game announcement of late which has sounded good to me. Tentatively it sounds like a lazy port, but the end result may still be better than the console version. You are going to need a gamepad in any case.

IMO, the very best stuff that comes out of Japan is console games (Bayonetta, Vanquish, ...) and arcade games (Virtua Fighter, Mushihimesama, Deathsmiles, ...). The former are out on X360, and the latter have gotten a steady stream of X360 ports. X360s are dirt cheap, why not pick one up?

Quote Originally Posted by victory View Post
    X360s are dirt cheap, why not pick one up?
    I've been tempted but I don't even have a TV (I like playing, not watching). Guess you could use a display though? Boxes aren't that expensive, but then again it's still money that could go to upgrading my already great command center. Could always use more harddrives, a third display, more games and so on. Just feels pointless to invest in an inferior piece of equipment.

EDIT: Last Remnant looked good enough. Might pick it when I have the time. On a quick glance, it seemed that it was reviewed badly just because it's a JRPG.
    Last edited by jnx; 04-05-2012 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jnx View Post
    EDIT: Last Remnant looked good enough. Might pick it when I have the time. On a quick glance, it seemed that it was reviewed badly just because it's a JRPG.
    If you think there's such a bias in PC reviews, then read XBox reviews of it and ignore the complaints about technical issues (such as texture pop-in, etc) which were fixed in the PC version.

Network Hub
    I've been tempted but I don't even have a TV (I like playing, not watching). Guess you could use a display though? Boxes aren't that expensive, but then again it's still money that could go to upgrading my already great command center. Could always use more harddrives, a third display, more games and so on. Just feels pointless to invest in an inferior piece of equipment.
    I never had a TV either, and I have now owned 3 consoles. Before I bought my first one, I had gamed only on PCs for 15+ years. The consoles have been completely worth it. Used to run them on computer monitors, now a video projector (shared with the PC).

It'd be great if the games ran on my existing hardware, but they don't. Either you want to play the games or not; that "better" hardware exists is irrelevant if it won't run those games you want to play.

As far as I'm concerned, JRPGs are bad by definition. If the bad design elements were pulled out, people would call them plot-heavy tactics or action games, not JRPGs.
    Last edited by victory; 04-05-2012 at 11:11 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node agentorange's Avatar
    Get a PS2 off ebay for about $30, buy yourself a copy of Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. Worth every penny. One of the pinnacles of the genre, if you're looking for a very combat heavy experience, as opposed to something story heavy like the FF games.

I played Last Remnant and the 360 and was not impressed. Although I have heard the PC version is an improvement. JRPGs on PC are thin on the ground but I know FF7 and FF8 both got PC ports. The best place for JRPGs recently has been on the DS. The World Ends With You, SMT: Strange Journey, SMT: Devil survivor, Couple of FF ports and of course Pokemon. I don't know if you want to buy a handheld though.

You might want to think about finding someway of playing old SNES games and playing some of the classics on that. FF4/5/6, Terranigma, Chrono Trigger, Fire Emblem etc

Get a PS2 off ebay for about $30, buy yourself a copy of Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. Worth every penny. One of the pinnacles of the genre, if you're looking for a very combat heavy experience, as opposed to something story heavy like the FF games.
    Great choice. Then follow that up with SMT:Persona 4 and SMT:Digital Devil Saga if you want a bit more plot
    Last edited by Zhugie; 04-05-2012 at 11:31 AM.

Actually I own a DS lite. Not sure where it is though. Or whether it still works or not. Might see if I'd get any of those for cheap from somewhere. I was disappointed at DS game pricing. Think I only played that farm game which's name I can't remember.

I can certainly recommend Grandia 2 as a great PC JRPG.

You could also argue Planescape and Anachranox are basically American JRPGs.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Yea, The DS is where it's at at the moment.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

There are a metric shit-ton of great JRPGs and SRPGs on the DS.

Septerra Core was made by a Western Developer, but basically it out Js most JRPGs. I found it to be rather good fun and pretty well written. You can get it on gog.com for $4.99, where it's pretty well thought of too: http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/septe...of_the_creator
    This is perhaps getting a bit too far outside of the remit of the thread, but i always thought of the spirit engine 2 as being in the JRPG genre, and that's bloody wonderful (and free): http://www.thespiritengine.com/

The DS is lovely though the cost of the games is frickin' ridiculous but I imagine thats mostly the cost of producing cartridges.

The 3DS is a bit shit though.

Lesser Hivemind Node agentorange's Avatar
    Actually I own a DS lite. Not sure where it is though. Or whether it still works or not. Might see if I'd get any of those for cheap from somewhere. I was disappointed at DS game pricing. Think I only played that farm game which's name I can't remember.
    If you manage to find it, get SMT: Strange Journey.

Seconded, hence the avatar <---. It's a particularly delicious concoction of dungeon crawling and a cooler version of pokemon. The monster design can also be quite...creative.

Activated Node
    Xenoblade Chronicles using the Dolphin emulator.
    Chrono Trigger using the bsnes (or snes9x) emulator.
    Final Fantasy VIII and IX and Chrono Cross using the PCSX emulator (or others).
    Final Fantasy X, X-2 and XII using the PCSX2 emulator.
    Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2 on PS3 or XBox360 (no emulator yet, unfortunately).
    Radiant Historia using the Desmume emulator.