Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhugie View Post
    I know FF7 and FF8 both got PC ports.
    Calling what they did to FF7 on the PC a 'port' is generous. It was unstable and buggy even under Win9x, a hassle to get working on XP and impossible (or nearly impossible? I haven't managed it anyway) to get working on Win7. I know it wasn't designed for XP or 7, but it would still CTD on its target platforms. Oh, and the final battle? The music didn't even have a choir! Final Fantasy VII without a choir backing the Sephiroth battle is like... something without a really important component! Needless to say, I play a pirated, emulated PS1 version of the game even though I legitimately own a copy of the PC version.

On the the other hand, FF8 was actually a rather good port, with the caveat that hardware acceleration only works on very old graphics cards, because video cards haven't supported 8-bit palettised textures for years (which is hardly the fault of the game). I haven't tried it on Windows 7 yet, but it worked fine with software rendering on XP (albeit with some loss of framerate when summoning, at least on my old PC). Plus, the PC was the only place you could play the companion PocketStation chocobo game (or at least a port of it, which was included with FF8) outside Japan.

It's kind of a shame. PS1 gamers tend to agree that FF7 was the better game (and, having first played them both on PS1, I'd probably agree), but they never had to experience the sheer difference in technical quality PC gamers did, to the point where, if they had only ever been released on PC, I'd say FF8 was easily the better game.

Quote Originally Posted by jnx View Post
    Actually I own a DS lite. Not sure where it is though. Or whether it still works or not. Might see if I'd get any of those for cheap from somewhere. I was disappointed at DS game pricing. Think I only played that farm game which's name I can't remember.
    You mean Harvest Moon. Or was it Rune Factory?

Anyway, you should get one when the DS is easily the best place to find any worthwhile JRPGs nowadays. Chrono Trigger, for one. Trust me, playing Chrono Trigger on that little sucker would get you hooked for hours, if not days. Or you could just emulate for GBA games and get Mother 3 with an english patch.

For the PC? Well, the only ones that I could think of is Reccetear, Dark Souls (soon) and The Last Remnant. There are quite a few JRPG-likes in the PC, too like Anachronox, Planescape: Torment, Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden and Wizardry
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    How come noone has mentioned the recently released on Steam Ys games? I haven't played them myself, but they seem to get quite a bit of praise, and certainly look interesting.

That Ys game, as I heard, had excellent gameplay with a suck ass story. The combat's fast-pased compared to most JRPGs out there
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I will stick my oar out for The World Ends With You on the DS. A remarkable, creative title. It's strange, very innovative and difficult. The setting is engaging, the mechanics are unlike other games and the story, given time, starts to get under your skin in unexpected ways.

I keep trying to get into The Last Remnant and it never quite properly gets a grip on me. That's a little bit of a shame, because there's a lot to like there. It has a very interesting battle system that deserves exploring. A big part of its problem, is how long it takes to get off the ground and let you have more control of your party and the various ways you can set it up. It doesn't help that the main character can be tooth-grindingly annoying in the early stages of the game.

I would read up on it, and if you like the sound of it and you can get it fairly cheap to give it a go.

It's years since I've played a JRPG, but I always did enjoy the point in the plot (often about 2/3rds of the way through) when it went from slightly strange to straight-jacketed hatstand.

My Mom is a tree? Seriously?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Since i came here,joined this forum,i still don't understand how can some users talk about console games in PC GAMING section of PC GAMING forum :c

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    People forget that Capcom's Breath of Fire IV saw a PC release. Might be able to hunt down a copy

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Since i came here,joined this forum,i still don't understand how can some users talk about console games in PC GAMING section of PC GAMING forum :c
    Emulation, my good man.

I was presupposing that the author of the thread was interested in PC releases of JRPGs, given that, you know, downloading ROMs is sort of legally dubious and all that. I think i prefer it this way, since limiting the discussion to PC-releases makes it a bit more focused and interesting, given that there aren't that many of them. Every man and his dog knows/has played the vast majority of the snes classics etc., which we can all just agree are worth playing and be done with it.

Also, i absolutely adored breath of fire IV. I played it when i was about 12 and the story just seemed to last forever (in a good way). The combat system, in which you can learn a skill from a monster by defending against it, works really well too. The 3D backgrounds probably haven't aged so well, but all of the characters/monsters are sprites, and still look fantastic. The music also still holds a special place in my heart: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5ayyi5_h2o

Network Hub
    When someone asks you to recommend the best restaurant on the street you are on, do you direct him to the rat-infested dump six blocks down the street, or the gourmet barbecue place around the block which technically isn't on the same street but which anyone would obviously prefer to eat at?

In this case the OP is asking about games which largely do not exist on PC, so we'd have little to talk about if we didn't go into emulation (still PC) and non-PC alternatives.

Ha! Found the DS. What I did not find though, was the power cable. Has to be somewhere though. Maybe I'll buy one of the many recommendations here, if I'm lucky I'll find some second hand.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Because we have broad tastes, and a modest inability to stay precisely on topic.

Besides, we should take any opportunity to steer someone towards excellent titles they have the kit for, regardless of the nature of that kit.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    There are quite a few JRPG-likes in the PC, too like [...] Wizardry
    You've made a powerful enemy today.
    Last edited by Wizardry; 04-05-2012 at 07:07 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    I support the recommendation for Breath of Fire 4, though it has its fair share of problems. Like all BoF games it suffers from some unnecessarily tedious sections and quite a bit of filler content. However, the combat system does some interesting things, the storyline is quite good and the main cast is really likeable. It also has one of the best JRPG villains.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    You've made a powerful enemy today.
    Malk Stop.jpg

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Sega has released quite a few games on Steam these days.

Shining Force 1&2 (My favorite all time Turn-Based Strat rpg)
    Phantasy Star
    Others (have to look at their full list, plus did not own many genesis rpgs)

Will compile a more comprehensive list of what I own/played after work. Which most would recommend.

Since the DS was mentioned...off the top of my head:
    Etrian Odyssey series (first person dungeon crawl)
    The World Ends With You
    Devil Survivor
    Strange Journey
    Infinite Space
    Knights in the Nightmare (bullet hell type gameplay in battles)
    uhh will have to check once home.

PSP also has a ton of JRPGs, some being re-releases from PS2 or DS with additional content.

Again, will make a nice big list after work. Lots to add.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Feldspar View Post
    It's years since I've played a JRPG, but I always did enjoy the point in the plot (often about 2/3rds of the way through) when it went from slightly strange to straight-jacketed hatstand.

My Mom is a tree? Seriously?
    Enjoying JRPGs is embracing the sometimes bizarre good or bad stories. Part of what makes them interesting to me.

Good example. Secret of Mana is a classic!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Seriously. If you want to play JRPGs on the PC then just go back and play PC RPGs that were released in the 80s. They are practically the same kind of game because JRPGs evolved from them.

Seeing as you've got a DS... Pokémon Black/White. No, I'm not joking. They're seriously good, well-made games and the fourth generation (ie Black/White/etc) is easily the best in terms of mechanics. It doesn't have the super-deep plot, rich characters or emotional journeys that other JRPGs may have (though chances are you'll grow a real attachment to your team) but as a game it's really good and a really solid experience. It may not be exactly what you're looking for in a JRPG experience but it's a good thing to keep in the list.

If you've a PS1/PS3/PS1 emulator, Final Fantasy 9. The only FF I've ever gotten into, wonderfully magical and rich atmosphere with plenty of memorable greatness. Stands out quite a lot from the rest of the post-FF7 Fantasies.
    Last edited by Flint; 04-05-2012 at 09:21 PM.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    i'll admit to an unhealthy love for the pokemon games. currently playing through emerald on via the droid emulator on my genuisphone.