Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chaos Edition

Lesser Hivemind Node

Chaos Edition

So, I just read the RPS article on the Chaos Edition. What sort of interest level do people have in this? Personally I'm very interested in getting some more races. I'm not too concerned about price, there was a discount on LE and half price sales on the BB games have been pretty frequent.

I'm not too interested in the Underworld team, but the Chaos Dwarf team looks fun and the Khorne team looks suicidally risky but ridiculously bashy.

What's other people's take on it?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I'll buy it if its £5 on steam... Thats it. £5 to be up to date with patches for a while, seems more than generous.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    IF it's compatible with LE players, I'll buy it for a fiver during a sale.

If it's not compatible with LE players, I won't bother, because

a) I cannot see many people switching over;
    b) I refuse to support that.
    My games-related Twitter: VexingVision

Currently playing: Hearthstone; Blood Bowl; Wizardry 8; Dominions 4
    Currently waiting for: Wildstar; Darkest Dungeon

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I probably will buy it, but it doesnt seem like enough new teams or star players to merit it really. But then again i bought most of the Empire: Total War DLC so i'm just like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexing Vision View Post
    b) I refuse to support that.
    Never bought a sports franchise? They cant re-imagine the game so they just change a few numbers and re-release.
    But i think if they took a Dawn of War model (all inter-operatable but with racial limits based on ownership) getting your ass kicked by a khorne team would really encourage you to drop $10 on the khorne dlc.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure I posted in the DoD thread that it is compatible with LE, and I'm pretty sure I got that information from the official BB forums. But I'm tired and I've made a lot of posts since then, so I'd appreciate it if someone else would let me know if I did in fact do this or I'm going crazy?

However, I did manage to find this post o'mine:

Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    Well, I simply don't trust Cyanide to get a brand new team right. They made a pics ear of wizards with their extended inducements, which is pretty blatant for a balance error.

Also, it's freaking Khorne, the lamest, most boring option possible. And as it's Khorne, you can expect yet another bashy Chaos team whose tactics will only vary marginally with the other two Chaos teams already in the game. Given Cyanide's track record with balance, I would not be surprised if their big guy was a Bloodthirster.
    :(

Any word on what the team structure will be like for the Khorne buggers?

I just went back to peek at the official forums, no stat block for the Daemons yet.

If they've got some funky-ass special individual rule set I'll be annoyed. Also I'll be annoyed if they're just red orcs. Basically, I'm going to be annoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakysh View Post
    If they've got some funky-ass special individual rule set I'll be annoyed. Also I'll be annoyed if they're just red orcs. Basically, I'm going to be annoyed.
    If you actually need to summon the thirster by causing enough KO/CAS I'm totally down with that.

I've had a hell of a lot of fun that wouldn't have happened otherwise thanks to Cyanide releasing BB, even with all the bugs and general shonkyness, so I'll probably get it at full price as a thank-you (provided it's not £40 or something). I want to try Chaos Dwarves and Underworld might be interesting, but the lack of star players and this weird Khorne nonsense when there's two perfectly good teams waiting in the wings is pretty disappointing so I can see why people aren't keen. I know GW don't like Slann but I'd love to give them a go.

That said if CE and LE won't play online together then they're officially out of their minds.

Network Hub
    If they'll do the same promo for current owners as they did for the LE, I'll get it right away - I've been wanting to play Underworld for a while now. If not, I'll pick it up later when the price comes down. More Star Players would have been nice, and I don't care a whit for the demon nonsense, but I would like to contribute to the continuation of this game. At least Cyanide hasn't embraced the DLC model for BB (yet...).

Wait, they're actually making a whole new team up (Khorne)?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Here's what I could find on the Khorne team, apparently this is out of some magazine a while back so don't take it as gospel.

• 0-12 Beastmen 60,000 6 3 3 8 Horns
      0-4 Chaos Warrior 100,000 5 4 3 9 None
      0-2 Blood Letter 130,000 6 5 3 7 Frenzy, Daemonic Aura
      0-1 Blood Thirster 240,000 6 8 3 10 Block, Break Tackle, Dirty Player, Mighty Blow, Unstable, Daemonic Aura

Unstable means the player has to succeed a 3+ roll between drives or simply disappears for the rest of the match.

Daemonic Aura means that player's armour can't be reduced (claw, mb, chainsaw etc.) but any injury that player receives counts as dead.

Skill access on the BT I believe is SM on normals, BL's are apparently GSM (unreliable source on that though). Other players are the same as Chaos counterparts.

Looks like a stupendously bashy team. Two absurdly strong bloodletters, which are great apart from the fact that they cost 130k and probably won't survive more than a couple of games each. Also a ridiculously powerful and nigh indestructible big guy, who will probably never finish a game.

Seems a mix of horribly overpowered and totally useless. A 130k AV7 player with a shorter life expectancy than a snotling. But on the other hand an invincible, unblockable, untackleable death machine for a big guy.
    Last edited by DarkFenix; 05-05-2012 at 02:26 AM.

That would be a truly awful roster. I didn't expect an interesting and balanced race but that's just horrible. ST8 Block, Mighty Blow, Break Tackle as starting skills!? With a random, no way to influence, 1/3 chance of losing the best player in the entire game at the start of each drive? Eh?

In the screen shots released so far there's no Chaos Warriors or beastmen, so hopefully the original source was mistaken, but you never know with Cyanide.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    I'm pretty sure I posted in the DoD thread that it is compatible with LE, and I'm pretty sure I got that information from the official BB forums.
    That has come from a throwaway word from PMCC (the codemonkey) which has received zero clarification despite repeated requests. Even if it isn’t another example of poor English giving a false impression (worth noting they have form in this area) it could mean nothing more than the same shared lobby we currently have with DE Edition users for example. In truth what possible form of compatibility could there be without destroying the market for CE? It is DLC level content (2 teams, 1 star, 1 stadium, plus a made up team and presumably star) so how many people will buy it at £15+ if they don’t have to?

I think this is a step too far from Cyanide. Holding back so much content for another release when there is so little left to add to complete the game just screams cynical money grab

Posted this in the comments section of the frontpage post as well: I won't buy the new version for as long as possible if it isn't reasonably priced in relation to the content it delivers (so maybe 5-10EUR in the bargain bin). And I agree with what Vexing Vision has said before: I don't want to support this kind of thing.

Network Hub
    The actual question is what does this league intend to do?

Assume the worst that the new edition won't be compatible (if it is then we've no problem) will the league be swapping over to the newest edition again like last time?

Would that be straight away or down the line after there's been a decent price sale?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkFenix View Post
    *hideous roster*
    It looks dreadful, doesn't even hold water thematically (why don't the Chaos Warriors and BT also have Frenzy?)...

I would also suspect that mutations are not something daemons can get, since one of the reasons Chaos Pact was overlooked was the time needed to make the team.

I don't know if I will buy this edition or not. Underworld, Chaos Dwarfs and Bomber Dribblesnot I could see myself using. But I already know I'll never touch the Daemon side and frankly I don't ever want to see them in the DoD.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    I figure the 15 Euros is really the cost of keeping the servers running. I would have far preferred to see a full roster of star players than a brand new, unplaytested team. I'll happily buy the new edition anyway if the leagues are moving to it - but personally I'll be a lot happier if we don't allow the new team until 6 months have gone past and there's empirical information on whether it's cheap bullshit or roughly balanced.