Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Chaos Edition

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Well Chaos Dwarfs are still in the fluff, Slann just arent like they are portrayed in blood bowl. They are all big magical toads that sit around contemplating the universe. Not super athletic ninja frogs.

Yes, and fat-ass toads just wouldn't work the same on the pitch I reckon.

Would be cool if the ported the roster to Slaneesh or something. Same roster w/ just different models and names.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Steam = potatoedoughnut

[RPS] Clone High

Network Hub
    Couldn't they just name the team Slanflings and be done with it?

e: Or what potatoedoughnut said.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Had my first CE game last night, against squirrelfanatic. He wanted to try a dwarf team in the Challenge league so I made some chaos dwarfs to face him. Having never used the team before it was a bit weird to get used to, but you can clearly see their strengths.

They lack the solid skill base of a dwarf side - having only 6 true dwarf blockers and expensive TRRs - but they make up for it with cheapo foul-friendly 40k linemen and those bull centaurs, stronger and faster than anything on the dwarf side.

The models were rather nice too, although animations were sometimes ropey. The hobgoblins looked the best, although I would have liked to have seen more variation in the appearance of the hobgobs and chaos dwarf blockers (like some LE teams). However the upgraded helm for the blocker is hilarious. :) The team logos are all very nice too, some of the best yet.

As for the match, I lost 1-0 after a massive stalling game. I really had no idea what I was doing, though. And dwarfs are still bastards. :P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I am rerolling Khorne in another league, so have played a few games. It's fair to say that it's not going well! I think I have quite a lot to learn...

Agree entirely on the models being let down a bit by the animations. They look lovely, but there's some clipping - particularly with the bloodthirster, who is mahoosive, and whose wings are actually under the pitch when he falls over.

Surprisingly, the underworld team doesn't just re-use the skaven and goblin team animations. Although I've yet to see them in a match to get a good look (and they may be rubbish), it's something I wasn't expecting at all.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    It would be nice if the Bloodthirster gave me the impression that the guy who made it has ever seen a picture of one before. Seriously, look at that face, it's less intimidating than a dead snotling.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ChainsawHands's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    Surprisingly, the underworld team doesn't just re-use the skaven and goblin team animations. Although I've yet to see them in a match to get a good look (and they may be rubbish), it's something I wasn't expecting at all.
    I'd imagine goblins needed to be reworked anyway to allow for mutations, but skaven's quite surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkFenix View Post
    It would be nice if the Bloodthirster gave me the impression that the guy who made it has ever seen a picture of one before. Seriously, look at that face, it's less intimidating than a dead snotling.
    It doesn't look any better in its upgraded champion armour, either. Too much featureless plate metal and a dorky mask. On the bright side no one in their right mind will ever field a 180k minotaur with Claws instead of Mighty Blow anyway.
    Last edited by Screwie; 18-10-2012 at 02:23 PM.

30K more for +AV and juggernaught, no mutation access so they start with claw but can take MB on a regular skill, they're actually pretty reasonable value.

Actually they're also missing thick skull, so you're getting juggernaught instead of thick skull; still reasonable value though.

I was speaking simplistically, sure.

Mostly I think 180k is just too high a base value - especially since minotaurs are arguably too expensive at 150k already.

A (chaos) minotaur with Claw and Jugger is still 10k cheaper than a bloodthirster with MB. For 10k you get more survivability but lose your Mutation access.

You get a slightly more secure investment but you can't do nearly as much with it. Mutation access makes the (chaos) minotaur worth more (and worth it at all, sorry chaos dwarfs) in my eyes.

EDIT: I forgot Thick Skull too, but it's not something you would take if it wasn't free. Bloodthirsters also get Regen, anyway.
    Last edited by Screwie; 18-10-2012 at 02:47 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    I've seen some discussions about the Bloodthirster and quite a few seem to think he is essential on a Khorne team.

Oh yeah, forgot about regen. So you're getting +AV and juggernaut, swapping thick skull for regen, swapping MB for claw but can take MB on a regular, yeah you're giving up mutation access but on a blitzing minotaur claw's the only mutation you'd want anyway...

They're a bit less flexible (prebuilt as the blitzing type not the roadblock type), but although more expensive I'd say better value than a minotaur.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've found in my (limited) playtime to date, that the Bloodthirster is actually underpriced for its effectiveness. It is an absolute beast of a thing.

The problem is that Khorne teams seem to be built around the blitz, and the 1/6 fail rate due to Wild Animal is just too painful. Loner is just the icing on the cake. I think I'd rather blitz with a herald, since that blitzes at ST4, has strength access, juggernaught and frenzy. This then makes me question the whole purpose of the bloodthirster on the team. Yes, it's amazing, but it's so damn unreliable.

Quote Originally Posted by mrpier View Post
    I've seen some discussions about the Bloodthirster and quite a few seem to think he is essential on a Khorne team.
    Interesting, but I'm not seeing it myself.

A halfway-bashy team will just knock it down and then you have near 200k of TV failing to stand up for the rest of the drive. It still has all the problems minotaurs/rat-ogres/yhetees have with Wild Animal, just a bit tougher to injure and a bit more TV wasted when it's on its back.

As Everblue says, the team has better blitz options. Even more than a chaos side and their minotaur.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    What "dode74" (who was one of those who came up with the roster) said was that they tried to make it a more effective big guy than the others, but I think they've killed it with loner.

You have some teams with ST5 non-loners (eg undead), and they could have tried that I think. But maybe they did, dunno.

I think perhaps people look at the big guy and see the only player on the team that's above average at 0SPPs, as compared to the pitfighters and the bletters which are going to be hard to use until they get some skills on them. Still trying it out though.

Quote Originally Posted by Everblue View Post
    The problem is that Khorne teams seem to be built around the blitz, and the 1/6 fail rate due to Wild Animal is just too painful.
    Yeah, that's why I sacked my minotaur in the Open.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Khorne with all that frenzy is pretty unreliable anyway, and it would be harder to frenzy-trap the bloodthirster. That said I bought him in my SP-campaign and he went wild animal on the three first actions (all blitzes) that I tried to do with him :-D