Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Chaos Edition

Chaos Edition is out on steam now. Seems Ok so far, but it hasn't imported the Automatic or Ask skill choices in your user options or anything nice and helpful like that :-)

Lesser Hivemind Node cyberpunkdreams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    However, there are also famous examples for the opposite. I think it depends on the ongoing maintenance costs and complexity of the game at hand. I'll definitely check out OBBLM. And as a last line of defence, there will (most likely) always be FUMBBL.
    For sure. In the case of BB, it's pretty simple. The servers don't run the games themselves (one of the two players' machines acts as the game server), so all they are doing is storing user account, match history, team and league information, plus setting up the matches themselves. You don't need a heavy spec for that.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    Care to elaborate? The opinions over at talkfantasyfootball.org seem to be mixed. Let's (edit: read: whoever buys the CE, I won't) give them a bit of a try before deciding on that maybe.

Link to TFF.orgs strategy discussion thread (you might need to register an account to be able to read the threads):
    http://www.talkfantasyfootball.org/v...p?f=25&t=37123

Roster discussion thread:
    http://www.talkfantasyfootball.org/v...p?f=20&t=37116
    I suppose they're not as bad as I first thought, though IMO they're a long way from well-designed. Can't be bothered to dig out my old TBB login, buuuut:

- Big pile of frenzy is very dangerous, although offset slightly by being somewhat erratic (particularly early on)
    - Bloodthirster is stupidly effective, even for that price - effectively you have a minotaur with claw and juggernaut and +AV and regeneration.
    - GAS access on the Daemons is fairly unprecedented - the only other players with skill access that good are vampires, who have bloodlust to limit them a bit. Regen is the cherry on the cake (I'd maybe be more content if they were sort of vulnerable utility players, like ghouls)
    - Seven lots of strength access is quite a lot. Not gamebreaking but it all adds up.
    - Passing access on linemen is daft. I can see matchmaking throwing out a few minmaxed team with no rerolls and a bunch of leader cultists. Getting rerolls for 20k of TV will help offset some of the fairly expensive players.

Basically I don't think they'd be too bad with a slight nerf. I'd maybe do the following:

- Take Juggernaut away from the Bloodthirster, perhaps drop the price a little to compensate.
    - Take Regen away from the Daemons
    - Take passing access away from the Cultists. Possibly give them a maximum of 2, too.

That should hopefully make them good without being overwhelming.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    You can only have one leader reroll in each half no matter how many of your players have the skill though, so no rerolls would be quite risky.

I'm assuming BBCE is incompatible with BBLE, since that's been the case for every other edition. But before I go off speculating elsewhere can anyone confirm that it's correct?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpier View Post
    You can only have one leader reroll in each half no matter how many of your players have the skill though, so no rerolls would be quite risky.
    Huh. How have I gone this long without noticing that?

Dog Pants: The latest BBLE patch makes them entirely compatible - if you don't have BBCE, you can play against but not as the new teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Janek View Post
    - GAS access on the Daemons is fairly unprecedented - the only other players with skill access that good are vampires, who have bloodlust to limit them a bit. Regen is the cherry on the cake (I'd maybe be more content if they were sort of vulnerable utility players, like ghouls)
    Slann blitzers have GAS access in addition to vamps so it's not completely unprecedented, just very rare. In unrelated news I would happily pay double if they replaced Khorne with Slann :\

If you have Chaos edition can you still play as all the old teams? I bought it to support cyanide and make sure they keep patching the game (a double edged sword, I know). So does that mean I can just have Chaos edition installed and get rid of LE edition? I know I could probably find out by downloading and seeing but I'm trying to save some time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Yeah, you can play all the old teams as well.

Sweet. I'll start downloading now then.

First game with the new Khorne roster and what should have been a 3-0 win ended up 1-1. Turned him over in turn 2 of his own drive and stalled out the half before he managed to complete risky dodges and GFIs with no rerolls and get a marker next to the carrier who of course failed the one roll he had to make. Scored 4 turns into my own drive. He was down to 6 by this point and I had him clumped up in a ball except for the carrier with only successions of 3+'s getting him out. He made all this and a double GFI and a 5+ pass and catch all without reroll to leave me a GFI to get a marker and a 3+ dodge with 2 GFIs to make the blitz WITH reroll. I made it as far as the block and rolled skull both down.

Result aside I quite like the team. You have to plan your turn and blocks very carefully early on as with 2 rerolls and no blocking skills you can easily find yourself in trouble. Think I managed to surf a total of 4 players in the game which was pretty good. The BT model is brilliant but its also the prime suspect for horrendous lag I suffered through the game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    You weren't lagging at all when your humies beat my Chaos Dorfs so convincingly earlier on, although that was you using Legendary Edition still.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Think that was me, rather than 'phoenix...

Definitely Everblue's Humans. I have never and will never play humies - way too bland for my liking. Prancing elves/slippery rats/killing machines please!!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Been toying around with the various new players in CE, Khorne don't strike me as too bad. 180k is a hell of a price for a player; better than the Minotaur, but on the other hand no mutation access to expand its utility. GAS access is very nice too, but on the other hand their stats are completely ordinary and again, chaos team without mutation access. Not sure about P access on cultists though, seems rather bizarre. That looks like it belongs on another positional to me, in fact it looks like it belongs on another team entirely.

Underworld seems interesting though, basically Skaven with no GR's but normal mutation access to compensate. Not so sure about the chaos dorfs though, they seem to surrender a lot of regular dorf strengths to get those bull centaurs.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar
    Bull centaurs are pretty great though, on cultists I would have dropped P access but given them access to mutations, works in a fluff sense but perhaps to OP?

Lesser Hivemind Node cyberpunkdreams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NieA7 View Post
    Slann blitzers have GAS access in addition to vamps so it's not completely unprecedented, just very rare. In unrelated news I would happily pay double if they replaced Khorne with Slann :\
    It would be great to see the unofficial Breton side as well, although that wouldn't have fitted with the Chaos theme. I think GW have permanently nixxed Slann, from what I've heard?

What I'm really hanging out for is the entire inducement set, including special play cards. I'd pay good money for that. They'd be a lot of coding involved to implement them though, much more than adding some new teams(which is "just" asset work really, unless new skills are involved).

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    Bull centaurs are pretty great though, on cultists I would have dropped P access but given them access to mutations, works in a fluff sense but perhaps to OP?
    Oh no doubt, Bull Centaurs are what chaos dorfs are all about, highly mobile st4 beefcakes which could be nightmares to deal with for any frail mobile team with a bit of work, while holding the line against bruiser teams. On the other hand you lose your blitzers, slayers and runners. As for the Khorne cultists, I reckon giving them S normal and everything else (inc. mutation) double access would fit in nicely with the theme of them being a bunch of idiotic, bloodthirsty nutjobs. Strength access would be nice, but on the other hand lack of general access would be a nasty detriment to go with it.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Underworld interest me, the skaven have a rule that on a 1 they just dont hand off to goblins or the trolls just because they arent the same race.

It's certainly rumored that GW have banned Slann as they don't fit in with their Warhammer image. Massive pity IMO, a team with all VLL and leap would be genuinely different than every other race out there, plus their blitzers and catchers are amazing. Ho hum. Pleased to see Chaos Dorfs at least.