Experiences of Impulse

Dumb question - what are people's experiences of buying games from Impulse? Is it as straightforward as gamersgate, where you just download the files and can install them anywhere, or is there client programme which has to be running in the background like steam?

Stupidly missed getting sword of the stars on gamersgate but it's still going on impulse, so I wanted to check before buying it.

(As with the SotS query thread, if vinraith doesn't answer, I won't feel I'll have the full picture ...)

You don't need Impulse running to play games you download from it.

Obscure Node
    There's a client program, but you don't need it running in the background after you've downloaded the game, only for updates.

Personally, I'm not a big fan on the Impulse program. While it's a big boon compared to Steam that you don't actually need it constantly running, something about the layout and responsiveness (or lack thereof) of it just annoys the hell out of me. I found it (potentially through idiocy, I admit it freely) surprisingly difficult to actually get anything done. Also had a problem with a double charge once as their server was slow to acknowledge a purchase, which is always a bit of a pain, though they sorted it quickly.

Not meaning to put you off, just explaining why it's not my prefererred download 'portal'. Still entirely serviceable though, so feel free to buy away.
    Last edited by Pulsar; 20-06-2011 at 12:41 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Pretty much the same experience than with Steam. Impulse is uglier, but is feature complete, smooth and "Just Work" [tm].

Activated Node
    Impulse is pretty fine. The client's non-intrusive and you can download your games as much as you want.

It works well for what it is (a shop system and a downloader), checkout is quick and easy. I had no problems whenever I bought something from Impulse. My only gripe would be sub-par download speeds, but then I'm used to Steam delivering the full 30 MBit/sec that my pipe supports.

I enjoy it. It just feels less obtrusive than Steam (not that I mind Steam in all its awesomeness). The layout is workmanlike and gets the job done, although navigation and searching can be a little unresponsive. Downloads also don't seem quite as speedy as Steam, but they are reasonably fast.

I like that you have to OK an update in order for it to download. There's rarely a reason not to do so, but I like that the feature is there. They don't have the wide range of sales other platforms do, but the ones they do have are occasionally ahead of Steam (Crysis 2 for $30, Medal of Honor for $10). Also, the Stardock games that are (I believe) exclusive to the platform are pretty awesome and regularly go on sale. Just picked up Sins of a Solar Empire and GalCiv II myself.

I've been very pleased with Impulse. It gets the job done and otherwise stays out of the way.

Banned
    I've found Impulse is okay. I've heard nightmare stories of people having to wait around for serial keys, but not experienced that myself (but I've only got about 8 games on Impulse).

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    I think there have been problems during promotions when they've run out of keys and been unable to get them until the next working day. Other than that I've used Impulse a lot, it's always been fine but my last customer service enquiry never got a response, just an acknowledgement it was received - this was around the time Gamestop bought them, though I doubt that would have had any material effect.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    No problems with impulse, ever. Client works, a bit clunky in places, but no annoyances.

Occasionally games only patch using impulse, but generally, once downloaded & installed, you don't need to run the Impulse program until you buy something else from them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Impulse has a client, as others have said, which is necessary for updating and installing your games but doesn't have to be running for you to play them. It's essentially a halfway point between Steam's always-client-locked routine and Gamersgate's near-total lack of intrusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Occasionally games only patch using impulse, but generally, once downloaded & installed, you don't need to run the Impulse program until you buy something else from them.
    Men Of War was one of those that could only be patched through Impulse - which became an annoying issue as the version they sold on promotion a few months ago was quite out-of-date for MP. They also failed to give a working MP key on purchase. All fixed later but the game was unusable in MP for about 10 days. Only niggle I've had with them. I've forgiven and I continue to buy from them, I quite like 'em.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    I can't buy with my Visa card, so I have to use PayPal. I think the client is crap. Also I bought SOASE Trinity yesterday and it showed up in the client today...

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    I've had trouble before when what I've purchased hasn't shown up in the client for me to download and play. I had to wait for the serial to come in email days later. This was not due to a promotion where I could understand that they'd run out of keys.

This was when buying the Fences Pro application (which I GREATLY recommend).

I think the problem occurred because I had purchased from the web site instead of from within the client.