ORION: Dino BeatDown is out today!

So I know 90% of RPS despise the developers of the game. And I hate that they used other companies textures and fired people before paying them. But just as an announcement for anyone who is interested. It is out now!
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/104900/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Interesting to see a small Kickstart complete. $17k of $10k wanted. Feb, 2011.

Looks like Tribes/L4D/Sanctum with dinos.

Not familiar with their poor past.

Just for reference, they are *still* very shady. Check out this info graphic below. In addition to the unauthorized use of certain images in their achievements, they are using death sounds from Counter-Strike: Source and various other Source engine games.

For those who aren't familiar with the shiesty past of David Prassel and Orion, check out this article: http://gatheryourparty.com/articles/...oyee-beatdown/

Well, on the other hand it does have dinosaurs and jetpacks so...

Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    game is really rather broken at the moment, yet seems to be wildly popular. devs are promising a patch on monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider Jerusalem View Post
    game is really rather broken at the moment, yet seems to be wildly popular. devs are promising a patch on monday.
    Yeah, really does say something about gamers in a wholly disappointing way.

[Besides the fact people are so willing to part with their money they refuse to do a minute amount of research on a game and then complain when their purchase bites them in the ass; see the Steam forums for this game - there's no excuse for buying this game and then complaining it doesn't work given all the information available.]

All you have to do to sell a ton of copies of a game is release at the right price-point and throw in a bunch of lazy dudebro concepts stolen from other, popular games.
    No point trying to balance them, produce tight gameplay, decent graphics, innovate or even make sure the game works - the game's so cheap people'll buy it in droves regardless because gamers clearly adore anything that features a range of the aforementioned 'dudebro' concepts [Dinosaurs, Jetpacks, Mechs and so forth] and allows them to shoot at things...

[Note: This applies to a range of other popular games too, but this is the first time I've seen an incredibly derivative, badly made and wholly broken game sell so well simply because it features such asinine content - this is gamings equivalent of the Adam Sandler movie 'Jack and Jill' ].
    Last edited by DzX; 06-05-2012 at 11:36 AM.

Network Hub
    I'm rather surprised Valve are selling this game, given it's rather shady past (and present). Do they realise that includes ripped assets from some of their own games? Has anyone sent the above image of the Steam achievements to them?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    this is gamings equivalent of the Adam Sandler movie 'Jack and Jill

​Actually its worse then that, people didn't really like Jack and Jill and it earned not a lot of money, this seems to be popular for some reason.

At least an Adam Sandler movie tells you from the outset that it contains Adam Sandler and therefore you can probably surmise that the plot is a copy and paste job from any number of other poor American 'comedies'.

Why go to the bother of plagarism on Steam achievement icons? Most games do with 10 minute MS paint jobbies (okay, probably devaluing artists here, but you know what I mean), and no-one complains.

Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    so, this game is sitting around 1,100 current users at the moment.

which is baffling. and sad.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Feldspar View Post
    At least an Adam Sandler movie tells you from the outset that it contains Adam Sandler and therefore you can probably surmise that the plot is a copy and paste job from any number of other Adam Sandler movies.
    Hey, hey. Don't throw all American comedies in that hole.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    ​Actually its worse then that, people didn't really like Jack and Jill and it earned not a lot of money, this seems to be popular for some reason.
    [/COLOR][/LEFT]
    It's popular because of it's advertising, when they showed that trailer it looked nice because it didn't really show it's faults, they only showed some scenery with a first person POV shooting some dinosaurs. Seeing that, people already got excited because it was a first person shooter and it had dinosaurs and I guess a bunch of folks per-ordered it or just impulse bought it when it popped up on steam.

This alone isn't the issue though, when the beta of Minecraft was released a friend told me this" You can build your own house out of chopped trees and mined stone, if you don't monsters are going to fucking kill ya" this alone already sold me on the game strangely enough. Of course I've seen some screenshots of how it looked but it didn't sell me yet but after my friends description I bought it. I took the plunge not knowing how the game would develop further down the line, luckily the game remained good despite the bugs and glitches and got ironed out.

The difference between Dino Beatdown and Minecraft was however, they didn't offer a alpha or demo and delivered an incomplete game to those with good faith and got misled by the trailer. When developers only show a trailer and won't release a demo you can either take the plunge or wait till it's released and see if the game's worth your money, it's a gamble, concrete vs water.
    Last edited by Ravelle; 06-05-2012 at 09:32 PM.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Obscure Node
    lmao at the steam forums, i can't believe some people are defending this piece of..sigh.

Nowadays indie means = you can get away with anything you do. Sad.