Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Activated Node
    Yeah the RPS Arma guys really don't sound like they're as hardcore as you think they would be. I'd really recommend giving it a try with those guys. I'd do it if I had the game and I don't even like that genre.

Quote Originally Posted by EndelNurk View Post
    Yeah the RPS Arma guys really don't sound like they're as hardcore as you think they would be. I'd really recommend giving it a try with those guys. I'd do it if I had the game and I don't even like that genre.
    The average ARPS session plays like a mix of Apocalypse Now, Four Lions and Arrested Development.
    Last edited by Anthile; 22-06-2011 at 11:10 PM.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Obscure Node
    Cortex Command. The Heavy Sniper rifle takes off dropship engines.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    The average ARPS session plays like a mix of Apocalypse Now, Four Lions and Arrested Development.
    Please be on the steam sale, please be on the steam sale, please be on the steam sale

Operation Flashpoint (not the Codemasters games), Arma2 and Sniper Elite.

I think COD4 Pripyat section is pretty fun.

Network Hub
    ArmA 2 is a fun for sniping, although it doesn't really give you a great deal of satisfaction.

For me, the best hands down sniping experience was Novalogics Joint Operations. You dial in distances and you had to compensate for gravity too. Some excellent sniping moments for me. I was driving a boat to try and flank the enemy when I saw on top of a hill a friend come under fire from two enemies. I killed the motor on the boat, stood up and took out both of them. Pretty hard shots considering the boat was bobbing up and down. :D

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    If we're playing adversarials you can add the odd roadrunner episode to the list.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Yeah, I was being a bit harsh on the ARMA 2 quip - I can imagine RPS folks aren't like t'others.

May well buy myself Arma 2, if it ever crops up on the sale, seems to be getting quite a lot of praise here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    The problem with snipers in most games is that they're not really like actual snipers. In ArmA 2, you're always either part of an infantry or designated sniper squad and almost always paired up with a spotter (and therefore defying the "lone wolf sniper" cliché). When your squad attacks a position, it's you and your spotter who go first to find a concealed flanking position to provide reconnaissance. You're not a killing machine and if you have significantly more kills than your fellow soldiers, it's a good indicator that something went wrong. Besides providing info regarding the target area, your other main task is to take out primary targets: officers, gunners, AT-soldiers and hostile snipers.
    Sadly, sniping in most games is really bad. Mostly it just takes skill out of the game.
    Generally in our Arma sessions its the MG who rack up the kills (which is to be expected tbh), but DMRs tend to do ok, dependant on the situation. But as you rightly point out, the priority is to act as a recon/overwatch to keep command informed and neutralise key targets as and when necessary.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Can I change my vote?

I say New Vegas.

To me a good sniper rifle must feel like a real thing, be slow, and have something that would feel like infinite punch to it. There are anti-tank sniper rifles... so I think is ok if make heads explode. Instakill. Bang, dead. I respect that.

New Vegas has a few sniper rifles that are serviceable, theres even unscooped rifles that are equally serviceable.

Obscure Node
    I'd throw my votes in the ring for both ARMA 2 and for Far Cry 2. In FC2, the Springfield was an exceptional weapon, the other snipers never felt right to me.

As far as people thinking about ARMA2, do get it. It's lots of frustration, followed by immense satisfaction when you do get something right. Also, need more North American ARMA 2 players so I can play it online more than the odd weekend when I'm free during the regular Saturday session.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossi View Post
    ArmA 2 is a fun for sniping, although it doesn't really give you a great deal of satisfaction.

For me, the best hands down sniping experience was Novalogics Joint Operations. You dial in distances and you had to compensate for gravity too. Some excellent sniping moments for me. I was driving a boat to try and flank the enemy when I saw on top of a hill a friend come under fire from two enemies. I killed the motor on the boat, stood up and took out both of them. Pretty hard shots considering the boat was bobbing up and down. :D
    You dial in meters and compensate for gravity and wind in ArmA2, too.

Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    My God, people are STILL talking about this game??

You do realise you're talking to a bunch of people who grew up playing FPS games with a mouse right? and real multiplayer I should add.

*lifts nose up at mention of GE*
    Goldeneye on N64 was the first commercial (i.e. non-mod) FPS to employ a sniper rifle (and to register headshots/limbshots thereby encouraging precision aiming) so it kinda rates a mention in the context of this thread.

And of course its spiritual sequel Perfect Dark featured a gun that allowed you to hunt targets through walls, thereby rendering every toilet cubicle a potential sniper nest.
    Last edited by Rii; 24-06-2011 at 10:23 PM.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    And of course its spiritual sequel Perfect Dark featured a gun that allowed you to hunt targets through walls.
    Hell, IIRC the gun would actually seek targets out automatically, all you had to do was pull the trigger. Awesome in single player, less awesome in mulitplayer.

Quote Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post
    Hell, IIRC the gun would actually seek targets out automatically, all you had to do was pull the trigger. Awesome in single player, less awesome in mulitplayer.
    Hmm, as I recall the auto-tracking secondary fire feature was generally too slow to keep up with moving targets, although it was useful for getting to the same 'depth frame' as the target. It was definitely more of a novelty gun than anything else but I think that was more a function of it simply not being terribly fun to use once the novelty wore off (and certainly not fun to be in the receiving end of) rather than being imbalanced per se.

Bad Company 2, I think. It's got his marksman headshot feature when you kill someone with a headshot from a distance, with higher scores the further away. Since you actually need to adjust for bullet drop over such distances, seeing 'Killed enemy +50, Headshot +10, Marksman headshot +63' pop up on your screen is quite rewarding. I once made a marksman headshot on two people, inside a building, through a smoke screen, with only a single shot, with my only target being the bright orange diamond that appears above enemies that hav been spotted by you or your teammates. Now that was awesome.

Bad Company 2 snipers can also call in mortar strikes, which allow for some very interesting tactics, like flushing people out of a hiding place so you can snipe them, or blowing up a building held by an enemy sniper. Why those idiots always sit on the top floor, right under the roofs were the mortar shells land, is anyone's guess.

OT: Covering the courtyard with a a Kar98k on dod_avalanche.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihkel View Post
    I think COD4 Pripyat section is pretty fun.
    Been a while since I played that but wasn't it mostly killing waves and waves of baddies with claymores and machine guns? I know it opened with sniping, but it was scripted. You can't do anything but take the guy's arm off.

I had forgotten all about Far Cry. It was really good right up until the mutants. I've often thought someone should make a mod that just swaps all the mutants for soldiers. Couldn't be that hard to do. A bit of map editing maybe...

Of course it would also be good to re-record all the dialogue with someone who doesn't sound like he's got an american flag tied around his nutsack