Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Activated Node

Is Diablo 3 worth the money (80$ for Europeans) ?

Fellow RPS readers.

Here is my predicament.

I am fan of hack&slash RPGs. Naturally Roguelikes. Any RPG with procedurally generated content.

From Nethack to D1 all to Torchlight and even more indie titles like Dins Curse.

Naturally I was very excited about Diablo 3

What happened is that (especially after open beta) I am bit concerned if the game is worth my money.

80$ is lot of dough. And I allready preordered GW2

What I seen in D3 beta leaves me thinking how much gameplay content there is in the game after all?

The variety of areas was very limited. Same goes for randomization of areas.
    Didnt see that much different kinds of monsters , nor many different armor/weapon models.

For 80$ i expect wagon load of content and variety!

Yet D3 will make me play on ultra easy difficulty. Unable to select higher difficulty level until i finish the whole game ?!

Is this their way to artificially stretch content !?

I can not believe that Blizzard with all their money and talents will come up with easy small game that only goal is to force people into using Real Money AH ? And perhaps cash on the expansions ?

I base this on my open beta experience....
    Please tell me its not so !

Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    if money's the issue, i'd wait until torchlight 2.

d3 is all about grinding through difficulty levels and loot whoring to the max. the game (likely) won't really open up until the later difficulty levels. if that isn't your thing, then i'd say don't spend the $80.

How come you're gonna pay 80$.

I pre commanded D3 on amazon. The price is 42€ and it can even go a bit lower by the day it ships. That makes 55$ not 80.

Network Hub
    Sounds like you already made up your mind, so why do you need us to convince you to (not) buy a game?

Also, you do realize the beta was only the first part of the first act with deliberately reduced content? That's not really indicative of the whole game content-wise by any stretch of the imagination. And how exactly did you come up with the 80$ price point anyway? All stores I looked up had a price of ~55€ (which is indeed a bit expensive), but converts to about $71 and includes VAT, while the american price usually doesn't include the sales tax as far as I know.

Activated Node
    Its 60 euro digital purchase at blizz store. Which is 78$

And here the stores sell it for roughly same price.

If I order it from UK or some similar place. With the shipping , it will end up the same.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    What country are you in?
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Network Hub
    The beta is supposedly one third of Act 1, of 4 acts. Act 1 is considered a tutorial, so it's pretty damn easy. You can still speedrun it to get to the good part faster (and also having a harder time since you're skipping XP and loot). There's an online itemlist at the game's official site, you can check that out to get an idea about how many there are (normal items have different models depending on class, not sure about the rarer stuff) I don't think there's a list of monster types like that, one unofficial wiki lists 20 Act 1 monster types, another has 62 known ones with their own page.

I'm not terribly concerned myself, going by Blizzard's track record. Lack of content wasn't a problem I had with any of their games I've bought.

After the deception the beta brought to me, I made up my mind not to preorder it.
    Of course this all depends on your preferences, gaming tastes and whatnot as it's ultimately a decision you must make by yourself. If the beta was such a deception to you that you would rather not preorder the game... then don't. You can always buy it later after trying the game at a friend's place or with his account. If it isn't good enough after release for you... well, shit happens. Who knows, if you happen to like it then, good for you and get it asap!.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    What country are you in?
    I am in Israel

Quote Originally Posted by Lobotomist View Post
    Its 60 euro digital purchase at blizz store. Which is 78$
    You don't have to get it from them, the cheapest price I can see for a digital EU version is 44.5eu, see here

I loved the beta, but 45eu is still too much and I'm not about to pay a quarter of a months rent for what's basically gonna help me waste part of the summer indoors, so I'm gonna try and resist the hype and wait for it to drop to 20-25eu.

Plus T2 is gonna be out soon (hopefully), so I'll have something to keep my compulsive side occupied anyway.

Also... Blizzard barely has any offers on its digital store, so if ya gonna wait for a price drop you will have better luck finding that on boxed versions or retail codes.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by lhzr View Post
    You don't have to get it from them, the cheapest price I can see for a digital EU version is 44.5eu, see here

I loved the beta, but 45eu is still too much and I'm not about to pay a quarter of a months rent for what's basically gonna help me waste part of the summer indoors, so I'm gonna try and resist the hype and wait for it to drop to 20-25eu.

Plus T2 is gonna be out soon (hopefully), so I'll have something to keep my compulsive side occupied anyway.
    I thought of buying CD-Key
    But than i read some horror stories about people that had games working for month or two, and than key was banned.

As for Blizzard. There is no chance they will reduce the price in any close future.

Activated Node
    I don't think Diablo 3 has much in common with a roguelike.

If you play it seriously, it's probably best seen as a fully instanced MMORPG with solo endgame, randomization, and a real money item marketplace.

The hardcore mode might make it more of a roguelike, but the gold auction house that is still there ruins it, and the game is anyway not really primarily designed for that, so I'd expect it to be a poor roguelike experience.

I thought of buying CD-Key
    But than i read some horror stories about people that had games working for month or two, and than key was banned.

As for Blizzard. There is no chance they will reduce the price in any close future.
    The banning of keys happened when the keys were stolen and people got refunds from the shops that sold them. Also that was an exception, it's not the rule, usually they're just bought in bulk from various places, so there's not much need to worry about that.

And regarding the price, Starcraft 2 was half price for a while after a year (in blizz's store) and you can get it now for 25-30eu from a lot of places.

Obscure Node
    It's worth the 80€ i'm paying for the Collector's edition, does that answer your question?

Network Hub
    You can get it in any online video game store for like.....50 Dollars? Even less in Denmark! The high price on Battle.net is just, outrageous. Makes literally zero sense to price it that high.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by lhzr View Post
    Eww, don't buy from dodgy CD key vendors, anyone with half a brain can tell they're far from 'legit' and Blizzard are known for being tight on region control. Where do you think they're getting all these cheap keys from? Usually the answer is from low-priced boxed copies intended for the Asian market, which means they aren't supposed to be sold elsewhere and Blizzard can de-activate them at any time, or refuse activation in the first place.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    I guess that is not a common currency unit I have seen. How much is it to be converted to USD?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I am in Israel
    Think yourself lucky the plan to let Jews take-over Madagascar wasn't taken-up instead of Palestine!!??

Also rest easy in the comfort that you're in one of only 2 major western countries the UK's Queen has never visited (the other being, ironically, the country her husband was born in!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Mistabashi
    Blizzard are known for being tight on region control. Where do you think they're getting all these cheap keys from? Usually the answer is from low-priced boxed copies intended for the Asian market, which means they aren't supposed to be sold elsewhere and Blizzard can de-activate them at any time, or refuse activation in the first place.
    Yes, that's why they have separate Diablo versions for various regions (EU, US, RU). I specifically linked to the EU one.