Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I agree with that. I liked the original's setting, with each of the three demon bigwigs having their own distinct minions. Given that number 2 had a big story focus on tracking down the three bigwigs and giving them a jolly good biffing you'd think it would have made sense to double down on the themes for each, but that isn't what happened.

I think for such a setting the more specific they try to be and the more they try to nail things down to fit around specific stories and characters the less interesting it gets.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Most game plots are fairly simple and can be explained in a few sentences.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    Most game plots are fairly simple and can be explained in a few sentences.
    One sentence.

Hero vanquishes evil.

or

Dude kills hooker.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    And then there's Metal Gear Solid.

NANOMACHINES

Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    And then there's Metal Gear Solid.

NANOMACHINES
    No. MGS is best described as "WTF"?

Heh, to be fair it's mostly MGS4. The others pretty much make sense.

Heh, to be fair it's mostly MGS4. The others pretty much make sense.

Yeah totally.... oh wait, no they don't.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    If MGS2 made sense then 4 must be a right trip.

They pretty much do, they're not at all hard to follow. Some parts are a bit like, wat, but the overarching story is there. With 4, not so much.

They pretty much do, they're not at all hard to follow. Some parts are a bit like, wat, but the overarching story is there. With 4, not so much.
    When people speak of metal gear not making sense they are NOT talking about the over arching story. They are talking about things like Liquid's arm possessing Ocelot.

In terms of over arching plot, 4 made as much sense as any of the others.

It makes sense in 2. Liquid is fighting Ocelot for control of the body. Then 4 comes along and iit's hypnotherapy and a fake arm and argh what is going on. It's strange to have possession but it still makes sense.

It makes sense in 2. Liquid is fighting Ocelot for control of the body. Then 4 comes along and iit's hypnotherapy and a fake arm and argh what is going on. It's strange to have possession but it still makes sense.
    Yup because attaching someone's severed hand to your arm would cause their consciousness to take over your mind. MAKES SENSE BRO!

I guess I should add some other things from MGS2 that make sense:

There is a vampire.

Super elite special ops soldier doesn't know that the reason she can't be hit by bullets is because she is wearing a magic belt.

Fat guy on roller blades with a bomb suit who throws explosives.

Fighting a metal gear inside a computer?

The government is run by a shadow organization headed by super computers?

Yup, nothing weird going on here at all.
    Last edited by Hypernetic; 10-05-2012 at 03:52 AM.

Of course there's weird stuff in the Metal Gear universe there always has been, super natural elements, crazy bosses you name it it's got it. But before 4 the story never really twisted and broke itself. Everything in 1, 2 and 3 fits within the realms of the Metal Gear universe. There's nothing that happens that breaks away from that. 4 does, and messes with stuff that shouldn't have been like the fact that Vamp isn't a vampire, it's just nano machines that make him like that.

Of course attaching someones arm to you wouldn't cause you to get possessed, but the games have supernatural elements and this is one of them. It's a plot device and a strange one that obviously doesn't make sense in the real world, but as I said before this is the Metal Gear universe, it's not breaking the plot.

No one will ever argue that the Metal Gear games aren't weird, they are, very! But not accepting some of the crazier stuff as making 'sense' means you can't really accept any film or piece of media that isn't completely grounded in reality.
    Last edited by Sketch; 10-05-2012 at 04:30 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Mission Impossible 2 reminds me of MGS.

I though I was on a different thread, reading all this latest post XD

Of course there's weird stuff in the Metal Gear universe there always has been, super natural elements, crazy bosses you name it it's got it. But before 4 the story never really twisted and broke itself. Everything in 1, 2 and 3 fits within the realms of the Metal Gear universe. There's nothing that happens that breaks away from that. 4 does, and messes with stuff that shouldn't have been like the fact that Vamp isn't a vampire, it's just nano machines that make him like that.

Of course attaching someones arm to you wouldn't cause you to get possessed, but the games have supernatural elements and this is one of them. It's a plot device and a strange one that obviously doesn't make sense in the real world, but as I said before this is the Metal Gear universe, it's not breaking the plot.

No one will ever argue that the Metal Gear games aren't weird, they are, very! But not accepting some of the crazier stuff as making 'sense' means you can't really accept any film or piece of media that isn't completely grounded in reality.

Really? You think nano machines explaining Vamp makes LESS sense then him being an actual vampire??

I think you may be confusing "weird" with nonsensical. A story only needs to make sense within the context of its own established universe.

Quote Originally Posted by SanguineAngel View Post
    I think you may be confusing "weird" with nonsensical. A story only needs to make sense within the context of its own established universe.
    MGS' own established Universe is one of technology not vampires... soooo.

There is nothing else in any of the games that suggests that things like possession are part of the established universe. Metal Gear has always been weird and never made sense. Unless you consider a boss breaking the fourth wall to tell you what is on your memory card something that makes sense within the context of any established universe.

Well I can't speak for Pre-MGS but MGS 1 does indeed play up to the audience, with little in-jokes and just a quick search shows that Psycho Mantis does break the 4th wall in MGS 1 a fair amount. Also, I recall having to switch controller ports at one point.s, So they do set the precedent fairly early on. The characters even in MGS1 are all quite strange and slightly supernatural (Sniper wolf springs to mind) So yes, I would say that those things are all internally consistent with the themes of the series. Odd. But consistent

Having Vamp be just a nano machine powered weirdo does make less sense to the story, it breaks the mythos surrounding him, especially when there are plenty of supernatural elements involved in the game. Possession plays a major, major part in MGS1,
    Psycho Mantis for example. And then a guy who can completely replicate someone perfectly. Having an arm possess someone is one of the less weir things. As has been said, weird doesn't equal nonsensical.