Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

So the PA Kickstarter thing then

Apologies if this isn't the place to do this (as it's not 100% PC Gaming related) but as everywhere else on the Internet has it's panties in a bunch about the Penny Arcade Kickstarter, I thought I'd sound this place out.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...cade-sells-out

I'm sort-of conflicted - it's a slightly odd idea which isn't quite what Kickstarter says Kickstarters should be BUT Kickstarter is clearly happy and I'm not keen on Internet mob's 'demanding' things be cancelled (esp when $180K has been pledged to it already!)

A common criticism is that they're an "established company" and that's not what Kickstarter is for (bollocks) or that they're not asking for money for an actual project (so drawing cartoons/making TV shows isn't a project??) but there are issues here for sure - it's just they appear to be drowning under the sound of torches being waved.

PA is marmiter than Marmite, few people are indifferent to it but I think there's a lot of jealousy and a lot of people who think because they don't find a joke funny, the joke shouldn't be told and I dislike that. This attitude even becomes perverse - gamers attacking Childs Play is like starving Africans stoning people from Oxfam but that happens (even on here)...

So - anyway - views (preferrably non pitchfork wielding/humour insensitive ones!) - preferably before it funds (sometime tomorrow at this rate!)

p.s. hell, if nothing else we know they make $1M from ads in a year which is actually less than I thought it would be :)
    Last edited by trjp; 11-07-2012 at 09:07 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Eehh, couldn't care less, the ads they run are so un-intrusive to me when I check their site, I really can't bother to care. If it works, cool, if it doesn't, oh well.

Network Hub
    There are ads on the Internet ???

Network Hub
    I block all ads but I love Penny Arcade so I think I will contribute a few bucks. I don't know why they chose to engage Kickstarter but I've heard it's supposed to be some sort of slight because they don't like it.

Whatever. Their product has great value to me and I'm thrilled to pay them for all the enjoyment their comic has brought. I'm working my way through reading their entire archive for my second time now.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yea, they've taken a pop at Kickstarter before so you could see this as an ironic way of showing Kickstarter as being happy to take ANYONE's money - but the hate is being aimed at PA for 'destroying' Kickstarter and not at Kickstarter themselves...

If this works (and all the signs are it will to some degree) you have a new way of funding creative endeavours (just like DoubleFine opened the doors on developing unpopular genre games) and that's not a bad thing is it?

It won't really 'take food from the mouths of the needy' as some people are saying - will it? I really don't think the Internet/Gaming world economy works like that - $60 games are 6 lost $10 game sales just as a Rolls Royce isn't 20 lost Ford Fiesta sales!?

People are clinging to the idea that KS is some sort of 'against the-man YEAH' system - when it's clearly just some people trying to do something cool and make a buck or 5 along the way (before they're either bought by a clueless money-titan or overtaken by clones with smarter PR)??

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by caljohnston View Post
    There are ads on the Internet ???
    Often embedded in the cartoons - apparently...

It's pretty likely to make the goal, but I'm more interested in what happens after the year this funds. This'd effectively become the world's first (?) serial kickstarter project and I wonder if people's interest would fade away eventually. But then again, I suppose this a somewhat more extreme version of the usual donation/subscriber system a lot of websites have.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Flint View Post
    It's pretty likely to make the goal, but I'm more interested in what happens after the year this funds. This'd effectively become the world's first (?) serial kickstarter project and I wonder if people's interest would fade away eventually. But then again, I suppose this a somewhat more extreme version of the usual donation/subscriber system a lot of websites have.
    The 'we're doing it again next year' thing is worrying but what we're seeing here is Kickstarter being used as a subscription system and whilst that seems odd, I'm sure they're happy to take the money from such an idea.

KS has changed a LOT in a short time - some changes are cool, others are slightly dodgy (there's been something dodgy about every major KS, tbh)

So this is just another one of those - probably not brilliant but it would be bloody daft to kibosh it entirely - esp just because someone didn't get a joke at some point.
    Last edited by trjp; 11-07-2012 at 09:36 PM.

I don't see the problem. They're using Kickstarter to attain a goal that's not possible for them without crowdfunding. The goal is 'being self-sustaining without ads'. The pledgers aren't gaining very much from their investment, but it's up to them if they want to contribute to Penny Arcade's success. I'd probably pledge myself if I gave a damn about Penny Arcade.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    The goal is 'being self-sustaining without ads'
    Are subscriptions taboo or something?

I mean, the two bucks a month I give to RPS sure hurts the bank, right?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Are subscriptions taboo or something?

I mean, the two bucks a month I give to RPS sure hurts the bank, right?
    Well, I guess with subscriptions you have a choice of either erecting a paywall, which would piss off a lot of their fanbase, or accepting voluntary subs, which does not give you a stable income by any means. The Kickstarter campaign gives them a gauge of how much money their fans are willing to put down, and makes it easier to plan ahead when the pledgers' money is already in the bank. Following up the Kickstarter with a subscription model seems like the best idea.

Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    Well, I guess with subscriptions you have a choice of either erecting a paywall, which would piss off a lot of their fanbase, or accepting voluntary subs, which does not give you a stable income by any means. The Kickstarter campaign gives them a gauge of how much money their fans are willing to put down, and makes it easier to plan ahead when the pledgers' money is already in the bank. Following up the Kickstarter with a subscription model seems like the best idea.
    And the difference between voluntary subs and Kickstarter is what, exactly?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    And the difference between voluntary subs and Kickstarter is what, exactly?
    Visibility. Press. Good or bad. They said it themselves, this is a "social experiment"

Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    Visibility. Press. Good or bad. They said it themselves, this is a "social experiment"
    Because PA was invisible until KS came around, amirite?

And dear lord, I know I gig KS for being hipster-y all the time, but "social experiment?" Gag me with a spoon.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    Nalano: What he said, but I'd sooner call this a 'monetization experiment'. Kickstarter is at least ten times more effective than a newspost on Penny Arcade saying "Hey guys, we're accepting subscriptions now for ad-free browsing". The latter probably wouldn't have gotten us talking about it now, would it?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Another issue people have is that there are some MASSIVE pledge amounts WAY outside the usual KS system - but when you highlight this to people it's still "PA" who are in the wrong and not KS (who are clearly good to go on this idea)??

I think the answer here is to do a Kickstarter which sells Torches and Pitchforks for online protests AGAINST Kickstarter - anyone in the US want to set that up for us? :)

The rewards are gross, but the idea of donating so a site doesn't need ads is fine. They're just doing it in reverse (ie. having ads, then removing them, rather than doing a (failed) donation drive first and eventually falling back on ads).

I don't have a problem with "give money to help this site run, then we won't need ads!" I do have a problem with "If you pay a thousand dollars, we'll be your friend on Xbox, you lonely sad bastard". Seems arrogant and stupid to the point where I was pretty convinced they were joking.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    In no sense does PA need to be "kick started." If they want to implement a voluntary subsciption system (which is all this is, from the looks of it) they can readily do it themselves.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I like the idea but don't PA's users use adblock or something similar? But i'm with Nalano and some others on this one, PA could have just started their own subscription for something like this.

That aside, i'm getting this faint whiff of trolling with this KS move, which PA are quite adept at.

Quote Originally Posted by Space Indaver View Post
    I don't have a problem with "give money to help this site run, then we won't need ads!" I do have a problem with "If you pay a thousand dollars, we'll be your friend on Xbox, you lonely sad bastard". Seems arrogant and stupid to the point where I was pretty convinced they were joking.
    Wow, I hadn't noticed that. Pretty vile indeed. Luckily no one's fallen for that yet, let's hope it stays that way.