Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So whats your plan for getting through your backlog of games from the Steam sale?

So far I am up to about 5 or 6 games (some from steam some from elsewhere) and and not showing any sign of slowing down (not bad for someone on the dole eh?). Got me thinking whats the best way to play through the games. I am guessing I will just try to play them all at once depending on the mood I am in at the time. Inless something really pulls me in where I play it exclusively.

Anyone else have a grand plan or oder in which they will be playing the games?
    If graphics are not important why spend so much on a GPU?

You play the stuff you buy in sales? I thought it was there just to sit there in the launchers mocking you saying "You don't have enough time to play me :)"

Well, that's what happens to me at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Scumbag View Post
    You play the stuff you buy in sales? I thought it was there just to sit there in the launchers mocking you saying "You don't have enough time to play me :)"

Well, that's what happens to me at least.
    Aye, this or divorce are pretty much my options.

1) Complete the game you're playing right now
    2) Look at my list of unplayed games and decide which one I feel like most playing next for whatever reason
    3) Play it either to the point of completion or to the point where I realise it's not my thing or I'm not in the mood for it right now
    4) Go back to 2.

This is the first time in my life I've actually got a bit of a backlog of games I actually want to play. The real problem is trying to juggle between all these new games and all the old ones I want to replay.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

I have a stupidly large backlog...it even delves deep into the console world, although I'm a bit easier on the wallet these days, that magic 75% sign is like some twisted logic of "You can't afford NOT to buy this!", and it would seem I do indeed have more money than sense (and neither are very substantual).

I've been working my way slowly through things, much like Flints method - sometimes I pick a 'quick' game to get it cleared in a day or two, but more often than not I pick a more substantual game, get halfway through, move onto something else and have a game stuck in limbo due to me not remember the story or the fuctions of the game to get back into it (currently have Bioshock 2 at 8 hours in, Batman Arkham City at 10, Fallout 3 at 22, Mafia 2 at 4, Psychonauts at 3, Saints Row the Third at 13 and Transformers at just over an hour...and they're just my recent attempts) - and what am I playing now? Borderlands, because Borderlands 2 is looking great so I want to get through the first fully... ><

There was a post around here, that mentions someones attempt to not buy any new games for a year to work on their backlog (I think they failed, hehe) - if you really want to get through it, thats certainly a strong willed way to get it done.

What I'll be trying to do, is perhaps picking one game from each genre (I can get fatigued putting all my effort into a single title, as you've seen above) - so you have something for every mood, but a clear cut choice each time you sit down to play something.

Edit: Also, don't spend so much time on forums! I should be playing a game not sitting here writing this! ><
    Last edited by Mbaya; 16-07-2012 at 11:46 AM.
    Virtual Organ Doner - "It's better to gib, than to receive."
    .: Steam :: Screenshots :: Steam Beautiful Screenshots Group :.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbaya View Post
    I should be playing a game not sitting here writing this! ><
    I'm always amused/baffled by people complaining about having games to play! It's meant to be something you do for fun/relaxation, not a chore!

And, if you feel guilty about spending the odd 10 on games you don't actually have time to play, then it's easily offset by donating a similar amount to a charity of your choice.

And if you do have time to play it (eventually), great!

[Me personally, I've finally got round to trying Empire TW which I bought along with Nap:TW for 10 about a year ago. Half way through the intro campaign, and I've probably already got 5 worth of fun out of it :) ]

I bought the box set of all the total wars (up to Shogun) and for the life of me I just can't get into any of them. The ships on Napoleon was fun I just find the battles just tedious and the units very unresponsive. When playing a campaign I just auto resolve battles as much as possible. Give me C&C any day.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    My plan is to buy all these games and probably never play them.

I gave up on the idea of completing my backlog. I'm just gonna play whatever I want whenever I want. If some day the backlog suddenly disappears it will be a fortunate coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    My plan is to buy all these games and probably never play them.
    A solid plan as any.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    For me, my gaming backlog is just like my "to-read" list on GoodReads. It is something I check whenever I finish a game/book and am thinking of what to play next. The only difference is the gaming backlog is more expensive because I have usually already purchased the game before it gets on there, and I tend to just keep going back to the same few games over and over.

And that's okay. Because if I am going to pay more than I am willing to basically throw away in the name of marginal support, I am planning on playing that game immediately. So even if I never get to a game, I don't mind too much because I felt that was a worthy price to pay to support the development of that genre.

Quote Originally Posted by riadsala View Post
    I'm always amused/baffled by people complaining about having games to play! It's meant to be something you do for fun/relaxation, not a chore!
    I hope I didn't come across as sounding obligated to be playing a game, it was more a comment related to there only being so many hours in the day, time spent here (as enjoyale as it is) is also time spent away from finding the vault on Pandora :) As for feeling guilty about spending money on games...I wouldn't say its guilt as much as not always very practical, I have perhaps, 300 or so games I've yet to fully explore or even play, spending yet more money to add to that pile isn't really neccessary, I could always wait and purchase games when I have less of a backlog ;)

I have my reasons however and certainly exhibit more control these days...I've even held off buying Dead Space 2 for an extra hour! ;)
    Virtual Organ Doner - "It's better to gib, than to receive."
    .: Steam :: Screenshots :: Steam Beautiful Screenshots Group :.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    I gave up on the idea of completing my backlog.
    This is me an a nutshell too. I used to be very much a completionist, not only within individual games but also in overall terms of my game collection, and eventually it got to the point where I wasn't having fun anymore trying to "knock things off the list". I am enjoying gaming so much more now that I've decided, once and for all, that I'm going to let myself off the hook about playing and finishing everything.

Network Hub
    I plan to put most of my time into the more story based games (ex: The Walking Dead), as I don't want to take a break from them, then come back and realize that I have no idea what's going on. Then i'll play stuff like SpaceChem at my leisure, whenever I feel like a break from the more plot-heavy stuff (not that SpaceChem doesn't have a plot, but it's fairly easy to catch up on).

That being said, I fully expect there to be certain games that I won't get around to in the near future. In particular, I bought Deus Ex: Human Revolution, but I think I can probably get a better price on the first Deus Ex game than what's currently on offer at a later date. Since I wan't to play the first game before getting into HR, i'll probably put that one on the backburner until I have a full set to play through.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    My plan is not to generate a backlog from the sale in the first place, especially since I still have a backlog from previous sales. I've bought exactly one game so far, so I think I'm doing fine.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    My plan is not to generate a backlog from the sale in the first place, especially since I still have a backlog from previous sales. I've bought exactly one game so far, so I think I'm doing fine.
    That's the ticket. Asking yourself how you can get through a backlog of games is like putting out the small secondary fires that spread from a huge central fire. Ya'll should be focusing on the source of the problem - preventing the backlogs. So when 18 Wheels of Steel: Extreme Trucker goes on sale, I want you all to ask yourself, really ask yourself whether you need it that badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    That's the ticket. Asking yourself how you can get through a backlog of games is like putting out the small secondary fires that spread from a huge central fire. Ya'll should be focusing on the source of the problem - preventing the backlogs. So when 18 Wheels of Steel: Extreme Trucker goes on sale, I want you all to ask yourself, really ask yourself whether you need it that badly.
    Well no.... but it has 18 wheels.... 18 WHEELS

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I usually run out of stuff to play a while before each steam sale (I only buy 4-5 games in a steam sale usually though) so I'm sure I'll get to it in time.

Getting ... through? I'm not sure I understand the concept.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    Getting ... through? I'm not sure I understand the concept.
    This!

It's gaming, not homework!
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Yup. Buy what you'll play, play what you buy. Sometimes you're going to get a bad game and end up setting it aside because you don't like it, which is fine, but if you've got a pile of stuff you haven't even tried yet why are you buying a bunch of new stuff? Sales aren't rare anymore, and discounts just get deeper with time. That $5 game will be $5 again in 6 months, and $2.50 six months after that.

If your time is limited, I find it's best to limit the number of games you buy, not the amount of money you spend. Fewer, more expensive games you really want trump a truckload of $3 apiece crap bought just because it was cheap any day of the week.
    Last edited by vinraith; 16-07-2012 at 05:42 PM.