Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    And the webpage even has a "beginner's guide" http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...guide-Released!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Unfortunately neither the manual nor the beginners guide actually explain the rules properly, and there isn't enough in-game help to compensate. For instance, there's no way to find out what special buildings you can build on a particular resource until you actually have a city nearby. There's no indication as to what, if any, influence the terrain surrounding a city is. There's no indication as to how much movement a particular tile will take to move across. It'll all be rectified by fans soon enough, but it's still a bit annoying.

More generally, why are video games so desperate to hide their rules from the player, especially in games like strategy and RPGs?
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Yeah, in game encyclopedia about tiles is a much needed feature. Also of note to ppl on the edge about buying, is that this game isn't really a genuine 4x. It's a wargame. You've probably read it elsewhere already, but cities only exist to produce and feed armies. As such, I like it much so far. Can't wait for DLC to deepen or broaden it.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yes, if there is a turn where you haven't attacked anything then either it is Turn 1 (and even then you have probably attacked something) or you're playing it wrong.

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    After playing for a few hours last night I'm still unsure about some of the features and I'd like a number of options added such as automatic conversion of cities you capture to your race for a more unique race feel but I did have fun with my mighty flying undead armada.

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    I haven't checked it out myself but the Steam store indicates a manual is available.
    Got that and it is useless. It's a basic tutorial with stuff I figured out in 5 minutes myself. There's no annex with what everything does.

edit: found some keyboard shortcuts that aren't documented anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by jk_bonn on paradox forum
    F5 = QuickSave
    F9 = Load QuickSave
    [ and ] = cycle through units
    Alt-R = Open and Close Research
    Alt-C = Open and Close Cast Spell
    F12 = Takes screenshot (this might be the steam overlay)
    H= Turn Hex on and off
    G = Guard Mode
    E = I think causes a unit to Explore for that turn.
    Last edited by alset85; 09-05-2012 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    Yes, if there is a turn where you haven't attacked anything then either it is Turn 1 (and even then you have probably attacked something) or you're playing it wrong.
    Mm, might not be the right thing for me then. I'll still try it though, it would be stupid not to at this price.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The demo is fairly representative of the basic gameplay, so you should try that.

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by apricotsoup View Post
    After playing for a few hours last night I'm still unsure about some of the features and I'd like a number of options added such as automatic conversion of cities you capture to your race for a more unique race feel but I did have fun with my mighty flying undead armada.
    I know it's hardly an accurate simulation, but how often are conquered cities' populations converted to your own race? India and Africa weren't full of cities composed entirely of Europeans. But I can see how armies will all start looking a bit Benetton ad.

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frightlever View Post
    I know it's hardly an accurate simulation, but how often are conquered cities' populations converted to your own race? India and Africa weren't full of cities composed entirely of Europeans. But I can see how armies will all start looking a bit Benetton ad.
    Umm yeah, I know where you're coming from but in no way am I playing this game for the realism. As undead especially it'd be nice to pop a nice plague on the population and create a more serene society. Otherwise I was feeling a big lack in the point of the different races as they all turned into the same meta-race after X turns.

For those who have just picked up the game, this wiki page contains a list of bugs, fixes and workarounds for the game: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Warlock..._of_the_Arcane - if you discover a new fix, take a minute and add it to the page (no account required).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frightlever View Post
    I know it's hardly an accurate simulation, but how often are conquered cities' populations converted to your own race?
    Every time if your own race is undead

Network Hub
    Hm, I kind of like it the game throws you in at the deep end, so to speak. It makes you all the more excited when you find some rare ressource or special building ("I wonder what I can do with that?") and rewards experimentation, though I too think a better explanation of at least the basic tech tree for each race would be nice. For example, the way to get Vampires is not very intuitive for Undead. I'm not that annoyed by the fact conquered cities can't be converted either (I like my Trolls + Skeleton Snipers + Catapult army), though the option would of course be nice.

Few hours into game you'll end up John Everyrace. It's not a big issue really, but it does make the race choice a bit pointless. One way to solve it would be to add an option to loot and raze when conquering.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jnx View Post
    Few hours into game you'll end up John Everyrace. It's not a big issue really, but it does make the race choice a bit pointless. One way to solve it would be to add an option to loot and raze when conquering.
    You would need something like MoM had - unrest penalties for mixing races - to motivate players to do that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think you can destroy cities, which is probably worth it for small other-race cities you capture, but it's a bit of a faff to bring a settler along with you.

My feeling after playing on the Challenging difficulty is that it's a bit easy, but I guess there is a lot of randomness and I was lucky to get Firestorm really early which is a fantastic spell in early wars.

Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    You would need something like MoM had - unrest penalties for mixing races - to motivate players to do that.
    Well there's already a penalty to growth rate for cities of different race than yours. That's something.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by jnx View Post
    Well there's already a penalty to growth rate for cities of different race than yours. That's something.
    It's not only growth rate, cities from races other than your own also produce 20% less gold, food, mana and research points.

Even though it seems to weighted towards combat, I would buy this game so hard if it had a multiplayer mode. The devs said they are working on a free multiplayer update - I think I'll wait and see how that turns out before I purchase.

I'm not very impressed with it and it failed my standard test, I played it without reading the manual/guides or anything else and on the default difficulty and I steamrolled everyone without any difficulty.

It is very reminiscent of Civ5 except more 'streamlined' and I don't think that is a good thing.

I haven't tried it on a harder difficulty yet so maybe it will get better but as it is, meh.