Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I understand that they have just fixed a nasty bug that was resetting difficulties to Normal, so if you had abandoned the game on the grounds of "too easy" you might want to give it another try some time to see if you'd just been bitten by the bug.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

I'm probably just missing something simple but is there a way to find out exactly what a perk will give your units without actually constructing the building?

For example, I can build a Nevril Smelter to get the Nevril Armor perk for my units but I can't seem to find out exactly what Nevril Armor does unless I actually build the building.

Also, when building something like this does it apply to all units or only to units coming from the city that has the building supplying the perk?

Read through the manual and quick start guide but I couldn't find a nice list of perks or an explanation of how they are applied.
    Last edited by xspork; 22-05-2012 at 06:45 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xspork View Post
    I'm probably just missing something simple but is there a way to find out exactly what a perk will give your units without actually constructing the building?
    I don't know, but you can use this http://warlockmota.wikia.com/wiki/Unit_Perks scroll down a bit to "building perks"
    It appears to me that these armors stack. I have a foundry and smithy and both perks are listed on the units.

Also, when building something like this does it apply to all units or only to units coming from the city that has the building supplying the perk?

Only the units from that city.
    Read through the manual and quick start guide but I couldn't find a nice list of perks or an explanation of how they are applied.
    yeah it would almost be better if they didn't have a manual. It's insulting what little they provide for a game like this. I'm sure the wiki will continue to grow.

Quote Originally Posted by xspork View Post

It only applies automatically to units built in that city, but it can be purchased for other units via an icon at the edge of their unit portrait.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Oh I didn't know that. That is good stuff. :D

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    So Warlock is a cash grab, after all:
    http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-WLMAPSD...he-serpent-dlc

The only reason the game is so inexpensive ($20) is because they have plans selling DLC. And a boring DLC at that, with only new units and another simple buff. The worst part is that some data files are already present in the base install. They witheld some content to charge money for it.

I was going to buy the game (My current computer can't run it), but I'm glad I have waited. Patches so far only fix basic bugs, do little or nothing to improve AI, and do nothing to fix balance (there are some serious exploits, like Undead + Fervus + Summon 1 bear a day; greatly overpriced ships; Fervus in general). I'll pass.

Yuck.

10char

A $3 DLC that you can easily ignore and still enjoy the game doesn't get me up in arms. But the lack of information in the manual or elsewhere, like this:

Quote Originally Posted by PeopleLikeFrank View Post
    It only applies automatically to units built in that city, but it can be purchased for other units via an icon at the edge of their unit portrait.
    ... that bothers me a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by Starry Vere View Post
    ... that bothers me a lot more.
    Did you just mistake it for a microtransaction ? It isn't. Warlock has (I like the idea) a unit upgrade system where you don't automatically upgrade everything once you develop a technology. Unit upgrades cost in-game money, not real money.

No, that's not what I meant. I meant the manual and the in-game help/tutorial are terrible. Otherwise, I find the game wonderful. And well worth the money.

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    It's a fluff DLC akin to the eleven million DLC for the Europa Universalis/HOI games. I can see me getting them on sale, but I'm feeling no rage. Already got my money's worth from the base game. I'll definitely snap up an expansion when it comes.

Oh, as previously mentioned - adding a new race, or even just a new Mage to play as is rather diluted by the rent-a-mob armies you finish the endgame with regardless of how you start.

"
    The worst part is that some data files are already present in the base install. They witheld some content to charge money for it."
    I'm feeling rage all right.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Yup, because they were already gouging us with that fifteen quid price tag ...

Quote Originally Posted by archonsod View Post
    Yup, because they were already gouging us with that fifteen quid price tag ...
    Is that an excuse for "on-disc" DLC?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I don't see why they need an excuse.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Well, they could have asked 18 for the full game. We don't really know whether their strategy is "let's budget for a 15 game, then take something out and charge for it" or "let's budget for a 20 game, then take some stuff out and drop the starting price to 15". At least it is the sort of DLC that you can buy at any point in the game's life and it'll slot in fine. Still, it makes one uncomfortable. My preferred approach is not to rage too much and just not buy the DLC.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, maybe leave the getting angry until the cost of the base game + DLC reaches the cost of a regular game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    Well, they could have asked 18 for the full game. We don't really know whether their strategy is "let's budget for a 15 game, then take something out and charge for it" or "let's budget for a 20 game, then take some stuff out and drop the starting price to 15". At least it is the sort of DLC that you can buy at any point in the game's life and it'll slot in fine. Still, it makes one uncomfortable. My preferred approach is not to rage too much and just not buy the DLC.
    Well does it feel like it has less content than a similar full price release? How does it measure up to say Civ 5 or CK2?

I don't see why they need an excuse.
    Because it's deception. I stay away from developers/publishers that engage in deceptive actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexey Kozyrev, Ino-co Developer
    And lastly, DLC development also gives Paradox and us the possibility to improve the game on a long term basis and to add new features for players free of charge, not only DLCs itself. Just give us time and support.
    I'll believe it when I see it.

One of things that bothers me the most about Warlock is that city spam is officially acknowledged strategy. Even screenshots on their websites feature minimap covered in a single color. It's one huge city, cyberpunk.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    To be fair most of the map fills in without really spamming cities. You build a few, each AI builds a few, there are some neutral cities, that covers most of the map apart from the occasional monster-infested wilds away from anyone's starting location.

It might be different if you choose a huge map and not enough opponents, but that's to be expected.

Personally I've always hated the constant attempts throughout the development of the Civ series to act against someone with lots of cities.