Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Network Hub

This NEEDS to happen: Carmageddon remake got a kickstarter

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-reincarnation

Carmageddon was a fantastic game, truly ahead of it's time. Even if you set the gore aside, you still have a racing game that did so much and was so fun, it blew anything else out of the water and even today, there's not a game like it. If you played it, you know what I'm talking about.

Ah, the memories...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    No, it really doesn't need to happen.

They were safe and securely funded. Going for an investment round now via Kickstarter (and a moderately sizable one at that) does not bode well.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vexing Vision View Post

They were safe and securely funded. Going for an investment round now via Kickstarter (and a moderately sizable one at that) does not bode well.
    Agreed. Seems a bit too much.

Network Hub
    Well, this isn't a 2d graphic adventure, it's a full fledged 3d racing game, which judging by the original plus new stuff, will have a lot of content. Budget-wise this seems like it requires more money than your average indie game. In fact, if you add these 400k they're asking to the 300-350k they already spent, it's still not even close to a million. I don't know much about game development but considering the game they're making, it doesn't seem like a lot of money at all

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Vexing Vision View Post

Ditto.

Also, if they need some cash, why don't they work out a deal with GOG to get Carmageddon 1 and 2 out there somehow? Sure, they won't make millions, but they'll make some extra cash and get the old games back out there to a new audience.

Kind of perplexed why they haven't done this yet, as I'm sure they own all the rights.

So much of the kickstarter is telling people why the older games were awesome... just re-release them and let people see for themselves, ya know?

But damn, someone hit the $7,500 bracket... that is one hell of a fan. Someone bid $10,000 as well!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    From what I've read... on Joystiq I believe? it seems they were looking for a publisher for the game to get the funding they need, but every publisher had, as requirement, that they give up ownership of the IP, which they had to do back in '97 to publish the first one, and it took them over 10 years to recover it. It seems they really don't want to lose it again.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    From what I've read... on Joystiq I believe? it seems they were looking for a publisher for the game to get the funding they need, but every publisher had, as requirement, that they give up ownership of the IP, which they had to do back in '97 to publish the first one, and it took them over 10 years to recover it. It seems they really don't want to lose it again.
    I wonder if that would have been true for Deep Silver or Nordic Games, or if they did something akin to the EA Partners programme.

Hell if I know.

I loved Carmageddon II back in the day (specially the OST, absolutely kickass) and I'm tempted to chip in; specially after watching the kickstarter video and knowing I can run over Tim Schafer. I hope they get him to do some voice acting for his pedestrian, it'd be bliss.

Network Hub
    Then they should start taking advantage of owning the IP in more ways than just "We're making a new game."

GOG exists for this very reason, and they'd most likely advertise the hell out of the old games, which would mean the blogs would pick up on it and more folks would help with a new one if they knew what the old ones were like. Plus you'd get a bit of revenue on the old games as well for probably day's worth of work to make them run on modern systems.

They have a chance to show us all the features they are telling us about in the Kickstarter, yet they aren't.

I'd gladly buy the first two games if I could; I'm sure many others would as well.

Network Hub
    I'd buy the originals from GOG in a heartbeat, they own the IP know, should be fairly simple to put them on it

Well I dunno about the first Carmageddon since I didn't play it, but didn't Carmageddon II had a crapload of licensed heavy metal music? While they may own the IP, I very much doubt they still have the license for the soundtrack.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    All my brain remembers from Carmageddon 2 is that lightning zap that disintegrated pedestrians. Best of all the car doors would open every time a bolt shot out. :D

Quite the sight when you're spinning through the air and your car is just pewpewing every bidepal being in sight.

Or was it in Carmageddon 3?

Network Hub
    Well I dunno about the first Carmageddon since I didn't play it, but didn't Carmageddon II had a crapload of licensed heavy metal music? While they may own the IP, I very much doubt they still have the license for the soundtrack.
    Should be easy enough to rip it out of the game, yea?

I mean, Sega did it to Crazy Taxi easily enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Roufuss View Post
    Should be easy enough to rip it out of the game, yea?

I mean, Sega did it to Crazy Taxi easily enough.
    But then you need to spend resources to create a placeholder OST, which, considering they need a kickstarter, I'm willing to bet they don't quite have.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    So many pedestrians, so little time. I'll all over this.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Network Hub
    Like I stated in the RPS post: it was a good 90s game, but I'm not sure it belongs outside of that era.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Oof View Post
    Like I stated in the RPS post: it was a good 90s game, but I'm not sure it belongs outside of that era.
    A sandbox(ish) game with excessive violence where players are generally left to their own devices. Clearly it has no presence in the current era of gaming.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by ZIGS View Post
    I'd buy the originals from GOG in a heartbeat, they own the IP know, should be fairly simple to put them on it
    They might have retained the rights to the Carmageddon IP, that doesn't mean they have the rights to resell the orignal games - those would still be with the original publisher (whoever they may be).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    I totally believe that they want to keep their IP. I cannot believe they couldn't find a publisher that allowed them to retain that.

Nordic games have been mentioned. Focus is great at letting studios keep their own IP. Even EA does have a partnership program which could have been more useful in this regard. Codemasters didn't sue for IPs either, much as I wish they did after the Turning Point fiasco.

I am fairly certain that if they failed to secure a publisher, ownership of IP was not the breaking point.

tl;dr - All the alarm bells, all at once.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Network Hub
    Since so many people are mentioning selling the old games on GOG, should be pointing out that owning the IP again does not always mean they have the rights to sell the old stuff. It's why you don't see Brian Fargo selling Wasteland over there. He even specifically stated when he asked for tiered rewards ideas that he has no rights to distribute the original game at all.