Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar

Games You Want To Love But Can't

Thought this would be an interesting topic. I think we should keep all discussion of DRM out of this as much as possible, and instead focus on the problems with the games or the reasons we can't love them.

I'll start:
    Venetica
    Female protagonist, Dynamedion soundtrack, ass-kicking...

... but no visual consistency, some questionable design choices, a crap combat system, terrible audio engineering (I'M NEXT TO YOU SO I MUST BE SHOUTING), bugs up the arse crack and so forth.

Drakensang + The River of Time
    Interesting visuals, beautiful Dynamedion soundtrack, 'proper' amour for women and it's a German RPG (so it has ambience and stuff), but it has a very complex ruleset, the difficulty dicks you over straight away (less so with TRoT) and it feels obtuse for the sake of it. I'd love to play these games fully, but I can't.

Sanctum
    Amazing soundtrack and some great ideas, but I can't play it as I get exhausted in just a few rounds.

Activated Node
    X3 Reunion, a game I regularly pick up, play for 5-6 hours and then put down again. I want to love it so bad but keep losing interest due to the sheer scope of the game. You know the potential is there, it has just the right things to scratch that itch, but yet you still keep bouncing off it because of so many things to do.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    "CATS", he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

Oh, just thought of another.

Terraria
    GODS ABOVE IT'S SO BORING. It just feels... I don't know. I want to like it, but the lack of direction or even anything to do just kills it for me.

Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    so many. so so many.

the witcher 2, deus ex: hr, and skyrim stand out in my mind. x3 and drankensang are also good choices. spent many hours with both only to repeatedly bounce off.

Network Hub
    Civ V, I want to like you but you deliberately limited the modding scene in some stupid ploy to sell more crappy DLC.
    E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy, so opaque, what the hell is going on 70% of the time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Drakensang is an annoying game, it seems to have a basic aggro system so that if a mage does noticeable damage he gets battered, but doesn't have any aggro management or zone of control ideas so there's nothing you can really do about it. Given the rules, victimizing mages is good play, but I don't want my opponents to use good play if it's also annoying. Once I worked out the confusing rule system, I liked everything else about the game, but this just makes it tedious.

The Witcher 2 was odd, because I seem to like everything about it but somehow there's no magic there. Eventually one of the patches broke my game and I just found I didn't care enough to fix it. Skyrim is a bit similar but not quite as extreme: again I seem to like all of the changes from Oblivion, but I'd rather play Oblivion.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Skyrim. Eventually its just ZZZZZZZZZzzzZZZZzzzZZzzz

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    League of Legends, Love the concept and it's look but hate the community.

Terraria, my friends are crazy about that game but I gave it 2 changes and I felt nothing for it.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Diablo 2.

Technically it should be right up my alley, but somehow the game lost everything that was good in Diablo 1. The tight and focused design, oppressive atmosphere and the sleekness and fluidity of gameplay.
    Last edited by Kaira-; 08-05-2012 at 11:07 PM. Reason: ALL THESE TYPOS

Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    Drakensang is an annoying game, it seems to have a basic aggro system so that if a mage does noticeable damage he gets battered, but doesn't have any aggro management or zone of control ideas so there's nothing you can really do about it. Given the rules, victimizing mages is good play, but I don't want my opponents to use good play if it's also annoying. Once I worked out the confusing rule system, I liked everything else about the game, but this just makes it tedious.
    Yeah. I... want to like it, but the combat is so awkward that it makes it hard. Even the simplest enemy can be absolutely deadly on the easiest difficulty, and I just can't forgive Radon Labs for that. It's such a beautiful package that's hindered by a very inelegant gameplay system.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    The Witcher 2 was odd, because I seem to like everything about it but somehow there's no magic there. Eventually one of the patches broke my game and I just found I didn't care enough to fix it. Skyrim is a bit similar but not quite as extreme: again I seem to like all of the changes from Oblivion, but I'd rather play Oblivion.
    TW2 looks to be about style over substance for me. I need to try it again now EE is out, but I just can't bring myself to. I didn't like the combat in 2 or 2.0, and I doubt I will in EE. From what I've played, I much prefer TW1.

Skyrim is a game I'm torn on. I love aspects of it, dislike others. I found myself burning out on it majorly, and the ending is SHITE. It doesn't help that the game causes me to ache a lot, plus the constantly-resetting FoV drives me up the wall. I wish it had the magic of Oblivion, because if it did then maybe it would be an even better game.

Skyrim for reasons that have been listed.

Any of the X-coms. I've tried my hardest to love them but I just can't get into them.

Deus Ex: HR. I loved Deus Ex, but this game is just so mediocre and bland.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Morrowind. Pretty much as a cipher for open world games in general. I love reading about some of the stuff people get up to in these games but playing them myself . . . I just tend to get bored of the sandbox without a bit of direction. I think it's also hard to shake my tendancy to want to do everything I can which has been ingrained from playing so many games which reward such behaviour.

Stone Soup Crawl. Having played a bunch of rougelike-likes I decided it was time to move onto a proper one and again despite liking the principal of the thing and finding people discussing it quite entertaining I just didn't get on with it.

@LC

I've found that my enjoyment of Morrowind depends on how long before I get tired of the soundtrack. The expansion packs for the game were pretty cool, but the orig one was so boring even when it first came out. I liked to look at it, but I didn't actually like to play it.

Hearts of Iron, Europa Universalis, etc.

I really want to like them, but I'm never quite sure I know what's going on. I just keep hitting "end turn" and stuff kind of happens. I kinda feel a bit dumb much of the time anyway, I don't need games to reinforce that.
    Last edited by zookeeper; 08-05-2012 at 11:48 PM.

Oh! And hardcore sims. I like flipping switched and cycling through radar modes and all that, but I also just wanna blow shit up.

Needless to say, Blackshark and Warthog are both sitting on my hardrive and I've never even started them up because I can't stop buying the damned things, hoping I'll love them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I do like how Demons Souls plays, but I just can't get stuck in because I clear a boss and then get stuck because I have no idea what I should be doing next. Do I grind?! Find another boss? Boss 1-4 isn't necessarily easier than 5-1 and it's so confusing!

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    I do like how Demons Souls plays, but I just can't get stuck in because I clear a boss and then get stuck because I have no idea what I should be doing next. Do I grind?! Find another boss? Boss 1-4 isn't necessarily easier than 5-1 and it's so confusing!
    Interestingly this is exactly what I like about it. There is no clear direction and the difficulty level doesn't increase, instead it changes depending on your character and play style. When I start a magic character, I'll finish 4-1 first, since the enemies there are susceptible to magic and there is a lot of good equipment. If I start a warrior, I'll run through 1-2 and 1-3 first since the enemies here are easier to fight in melee. If I start a cleric character, I'll run through 5-1 first to get my hands on the blessed mace. I love that this makes the world feel real. The game doesn't change to suit you, but rather you must change to suit it. This encourages experimentation with equipment load outs for each level and boss. And by restricting the game to only 5 worlds, I don't get overwhelmed by choice.

In Skyrim, I never know what to do. Or rather, I never want to do anything in particular. I usually pick the quest set in the most interesting geographical location, which is not a very good way to make decisions. I certainly never change equipment or play style - just blast away with magic.

Unfortunately Diablo 3 completely failed to stike a chord with me on the beta weekend. I usually go for Blizzard games, but D3 felt more bland than I can handle. A real shame as I was looking forwards to it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    Grind souls, get stronger, follow linear path and kill boss and repeat. ;P
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    'proper' amour for women
    This is now one of my favourite typos.

Been meaning to try Venetica for a while. Is it entirely impossible to play with the bugs or what?

OT:
    Company of Heroes is a game I enjoy playing but drains me like nothing else. Facing the next map is a chore because I'm still recovering from the previous level, the thought of one which will tend to be even harder is itself offputting.

Total War: Medieval II
    has the Pope. Fuck that guy. Playing the Christian nations just isn't fun when you have this gigantic tit shouting at you all the time. I had a legion of assassins posted around Europe just so I could remove my enemies and take provinces. Couldn't I have just researched Martin Luther instead? Also, the dread of knowing the Blakc Death and Mongol hordes are coming just reduces the fun.

Titan Quest. I loved Diablo 2. I love Torchlight. TQ bores and annoys me. The combat just isn't exciting like it is in the other games. At heart all these ARPGs are shallow, but D2 knew how to dress up the loot finding and Torchlight made even the lowest level abilities into great, dazzling spectacles. Everything in TQ feels weak and dull.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sockeatsock View Post
    Interestingly this is exactly what I like about it. There is no clear direction and the difficulty level doesn't increase, instead it changes depending on your character and play style. When I start a magic character, I'll finish 4-1 first, since the enemies there are susceptible to magic and there is a lot of good equipment. If I start a warrior, I'll run through 1-2 and 1-3 first since the enemies here are easier to fight in melee. If I start a cleric character, I'll run through 5-1 first to get my hands on the blessed mace. I love that this makes the world feel real. The game doesn't change to suit you, but rather you must change to suit it. This encourages experimentation with equipment load outs for each level and boss. And by restricting the game to only 5 worlds, I don't get overwhelmed by choice.
    I guess it's because I just don't know what is weak against what - I came into the game knowing nothing and so asked for help on forums, but I think I would have been better off just finding out for myself because I have this perception that it should be done a certain way, when really dying and learning is probably the best way to go about it...