Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    I swear RPS has a thing about Hipsters. I was accused of being one on my first day.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    I swear RPS has a thing about Hipsters. I was accused of being one on my first day.
    Nobody likes hipsters, not even other hipsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    I accused you of being a hipster before you even joined this site.

Waiting until you've actually joined? Way too mainstream.

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure accusing someone else of being a hipster is itself a sign that you might be a hipster.

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keep View Post
    This it?
    Yeah, that's it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Carlo View Post
    I'm pretty sure accusing someone else of being a hipster is itself a sign that you might be a hipster.
    I'm sorry, did you just apply fart logic to this?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by redspielened View Post
    I do think the author gets Blow more, and so do I....
    Allow me to translate this for non-hipsters:

Quote Originally Posted by redspielend
    You guys just don't get it. We're on another level, like Heaven's Gate level, except they were too mainstream. Labels, man, they're killing this world, do you even think about what you're saying? Opinions are worthless, I mean people give opinions without thinking. How screwed up is this world? You just can't appreciate the cutting social commentary that is video game art these days. Man, you guys are just stupid sheeple. It's just like Picasso. Nobody likes Picasso's work because it's art, but because he's an artist. I once put white paint on white canvas to illustrate the futility of life and conforming to the norm.

KONY 2012! KONY 2012! KOOOONY 2012!!!!!!111

Sent from my iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    I am intrigued by your words and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Network Hub Gentleman Jim Stacey's Avatar
    Simine Fralinie's bookshop, east Canalworks, Vivec
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    This is so apt that I can't help but wonder if you made it yourself just to reply with it.

League of Legends and Demigod. My friends play both of these games a lot but I just can't get into them. I have tried but I switch off after a few rounds.
    Last edited by Adam; 13-05-2012 at 07:34 AM.

Half-Life 2: Episode Two. It is polished. It is professional. It has perfect pacing. I stopped somewhere around the White Forest Inn, because I realised I did not care anymore about these people, and because the action was so carefully directed I felt like a spectator along for the ride, not Gordon Freeman, Ph.D. making actual meaningful choices (with a crowbar).

Not that you have much choice in an FPS, but at least in something like Unreal I could more or less control how I would approach a situation, which was part of the game, and sometimes it was a bit like actually exploring a place. That was an illusion, but a bearable one. Somewhere between the original Half-Life and Episode Two, it became too much. I suppose the problem with the HL2 episodes is that they do not even feel like games anymore to me.

On the other hand, I loved the hell out of NecroVisioN, and especially how it goes full-on crazy around the halfway point, so it's not just jadedness.

Quote Originally Posted by Gentleman Jim Stacey View Post
    This is so apt that I can't help but wonder if you made it yourself just to reply with it.
    No, but I made the one in the other thread. I'm just really good at internet research. :P (The originator of that one's marked on the bottom corner)
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Network Hub
    Path of Exile. Theoretically, I should love that game - F2P with only cosmetic microtransactions, heavily inspired by Diablo 2, interesting skill system (the skill gems, not necessarily the 'web') and more to 'do' on level up than in D3, i.e you get to actually click something and it increases stats.
    But for some reason, both open beta weekends didn't manage to grab my interest at all, and both times I didn't play much more than an hour. Maybe I should give the game more time to grow on me, but it just seems to lack something, and I'm not entirely sure what that is. Maybe it's the art style and color scheme, which are very... I don't want to say bland, but there's so much brown and grey in the first few areas, with brown and grey monsters sprinkled in between that don't look very interesting. I get they went for a dark and moody atmosphere like the original Diablo, but I think they went a bit too far with it (or I'm totally worng and it's only the starting zone that's like that, which is also a possibility).

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    I accused you of being a hipster before you even joined this site.
    Brilliant.

Why did the hipster burn his tongue eating pizza? He ate it before it was cool.

Sent from my iPhone
    Satire's all in the details.

Anyway back on topic: System Shock. Seminal game, must-play, this is a shameful confession. But the controls just seemed too primitive, the li'l clever ideas (things like using audio-logs to tell the story) too cliched, the story setting too talked about and familiar...I couldn't get into it. Convince me I'm missing out I'll give it another go, but until then...

(Oh and of course, being that type of person, my exposure to 2 is pending my completion of 1. So...)
    Free speech don't mean unchallengeable speech.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Why did the hipster burn his tongue eating pizza? He ate it before it was cool.
    *chortles*

Wrong words for wrong crowd dude.
    Indeed.

Braid. Fun little puzzle game, but whether 'Tim' (I wonder if Blow realises how odious that name is) is looking for a lover, a bomb or his own rampant asshole bears little relation to the actual mechanics. You could remove all the between fluff entirely and it would be equally as playable, because there isn't much direct connection between the words and the actions (I'd level the same accusation at Bioshock to a degree tbh).

Also rich guy going on about how abstract money is as a concept when he's financially secure never fails to amuse.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 13-05-2012 at 09:27 PM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Anyway back on topic: System Shock. Seminal game, must-play, this is a shameful confession. But the controls just seemed too primitive, the li'l clever ideas (things like using audio-logs to tell the story) too cliched, the story setting too talked about and familiar...I couldn't get into it. Convince me I'm missing out I'll give it another go, but until then...

(Oh and of course, being that type of person, my exposure to 2 is pending my completion of 1. So...)
    So you should put aside being that person and play 2! You'll probably have exactly the same set of problems with it (excluding the controls, which are fine in the second) but the atmosphere is just so damn creepy that you'll probably not notice them to the same extent. Though it shares something in common with Half Life in that there's a sudden change in environment which comes with a definite drop in quality towards the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Gentleman Jim Stacey View Post
    Left 4 Dead/Left 4 Dead 2 - Played a good amount of co-op campaigns in L4D1 but not much versus and hardly touched L4D2. I can thank Valve's horrible fanbase of 16 year old 4chan posters for making versus impossible to get into.
    There are good, fun communities out there. I joined a primarily L4D-based clan back in 2008, and while we dont play together that often nowadays (due to having played so much L4D), you're welcome to come and join us next time we do. Playing on a modded server that lets you manually switch infected is still great fun with seven other friends on Ventrilo/Mumble, and if you're sick of the maps there are plenty of excellent community-made ones.

My game, on the other hand, would be Far Cry 2.

The checkpoints. Why? The omniscient AI. Why? The suicidal jeeps drive straight toward you at 100mph and ram you off the road whilst peppering you with a million bullets. Why? Its a game that would have been so much better with access to an SDK and a little more community support. Its such a beautiful game world (I'd happily play a safari mod or something) but it is utterly, utterly ruined by poor design decisions.

Also, as many have already said, EVE. I played the extended trial last summer and have been thinking of going back for some time, but then I recall why I never subscribed - I was utterly sick of just running missions, and I'd been told by many people that it was all but impossible to earn good money from piracy. Making ISK, as it was explained to me, is all about missions, mining, trading/hauling or industry, all of which seem very tedious.
    I occasionally write things on this website. You can read these things by clicking this thing:
    www.teamsao.com

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    That was glorious.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Also rich guy going on about how abstract money is as a concept when he's financially secure never fails to amuse.
    Celebrities are the worst for doing this: Bono types who ask everyone to donate money to a cause while their donation is to do the concert for free. Unfortunately it's only amusing for a while and then becomes kind of soul destroying.

I'll be surprised if Blows next game is any sort of hit. Braid is a good game but I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of those that lots of people bought but most never made it more than half-way through. He also isn't at all adept at playing the media like someone such as Notch is - I remember reading something about his next game a while back but can't remember a thing about it. Most who know about him do so as that pretentious douche who speaks at panels with the airs of a man who has made more than just one game.

Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    Also StarCraft. I love playing it, but I hate playing it in the way you have to play it to be any good at it. If that makes sense.

I am the same way! I really dislike multiplayer games that require a finite number of build orders to be successful. Dawn of War 2 was the same way for me. Also, as I grow older, the dexterity just isn't there so I find myself yelling at those freakin' whipper snappers that have problems maintaining a triple digit apm.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tu_quoque

Anyway, what I said was simply that people have each their own perspective and it's inane to judge someone without trying to be in their shoes and try to see their point of view. If that means I'm a hipster, pretentious little twat, then... so be it.