Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    You don't have to be a new-age hippie to sign up to that. :P
    For sure, Revolution is a choon. "You tell me it's the institution? Well, you know, you better free your mind instead".

That's leagues different to "Imagine there's no countries, it isn't hard to do. Nothing to kill or die for, and no religion too".

Reform > Revolution? An imperfect system is better than an absence of central authority? Not according to Imagine.
    Free speech don't mean unchallengeable speech.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keep View Post
    For sure, Revolution is a choon. "You tell me it's the institution? Well, you know, you better free your mind instead".

That's leagues different to "Imagine there's no countries, it isn't hard to do. Nothing to kill or die for, and no religion too".

Reform > Revolution? An imperfect system is better than an absence of central authority? Not according to Imagine.
    Revolution is a political diatribe.
    Imagine is pure id.

For fuck's sake, man, it's called Imagine.

And I would much rather trust a man whose deepest ideal involves an America that doesn't demonize Mexico as the source of all its ills and a Mexico that doesn't demonize America for all its ills, and a rational people who don't divide into tribes and allegiances meant only to exclude others. I find this preferable when contrasted with my deepest desires, which is to wait for those whose irrationalities I find abhorrent to die, to speed up their demise whenever possible, and have them shut up in the meanwhile.* I find this greatly preferable when contrasted to men who found the very idea of the fact that they may share a common history and humanity with Black Africans or, indeed, any otherness physically distressing.

*I am a very angry man
    Last edited by Nalano; 16-05-2012 at 02:37 AM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Maybe for you Althea. Personally I'm not so hampered by the extraneous in my assessments. The qualities of a work and it's relative strengths/weaknesses interest me more than the author truth be told.
    I think it's a matter of degrees. There's stuff I like where I find the author objectionable, but there's nothing I love where I do. I think distaste for the creator holds me back somewhat.

Network Hub Gentleman Jim Stacey's Avatar
    Simine Fralinie's bookshop, east Canalworks, Vivec
    I forgot Mount & Blade.

Polish and presentation aren't the most important things in games by any means, but damn.

All MMO's:

Part of the problem is I don't have any friends who play them, which I'm sure would make it funner. Tried the WoW free trial, didn't come close to playing the 2 weeks made available. Tried the EVE free trial, didn't get it. Bought Guild Wars, hated it. Downloaded Venetica, it was ok but no fun on your own. Only one I've had any fun with was Realm of the Mad God. I just think I'm incompatible with your A Typical MMO's, can't wait until they evolve, but that looks to be some way off what with KOTOR being WoW with a Star Wars theme and Bioware dialogue trees, Guild Wars 2 not looking as fresh and different as they promised, and The Secret Circle (EDIT: Lol! Meant The Secret World and am embarrassed to reveal that I watch that show)... well, I'm not guna hold my breathe.

Modern COD Multiplayer:

My friends love it, I've enjoyed playing throwing axes and knives only through system link at their houses, other than that I find a boring, boring experience.

Assassins Creed:

Hated the first one, people said the second was better, played a bit, hated it a bit less but still hated it... not sure why. Story and gameplay just don't gel with me. Multiplayer is a bit of a giggle for half an hour or so though.
    Disclaimer: The above statement or statements are most likely completely incorrect, incoherent and a little insulting to boot. Please disregard immediately and contact the closest person or persons with the ability and will to restore your faith in humanity.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Venetica is a single-player action RPG from Deck 13/dtp Entertainment. You're thinking of something else, and I know what, but I've completely forgotten its name.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keep View Post
    "You tell me it's the institution? Well, you know, you better free your mind instead".

Negative on that, those are the same thing: Free your mind - imagine no religion or countries are worth dying for

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    Venetica is a single-player action RPG from Deck 13/dtp Entertainment. You're thinking of something else, and I know what, but I've completely forgotten its name.
    I've remembered.

Vindictus.

Vindictus is what I meant to type. Excuse me for the brain wobble.

Edit: and not scrolling down to see that you'd already corrected me.

In my defence I didn't like Venetica either, and I really tried to, so I guess my brain was just popping that one in there subconsciously.
    Last edited by JohnnyMaverik; 19-05-2012 at 10:44 PM.
    Disclaimer: The above statement or statements are most likely completely incorrect, incoherent and a little insulting to boot. Please disregard immediately and contact the closest person or persons with the ability and will to restore your faith in humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMaverik View Post
    In my defence I didn't like Venetica either, and I really tried to, so I guess my brain was just popping that one in there subconsciously.
    I liked Venetica, but it was way too broken and poorly done at times, and the difficulty curve was really bizarre. Combat felt a bit too hard as well. And for that reason I gave up in Venice, not too long after the first boss.

That said, it had some great things. The hammer felt as though it actually was heavy (both in terms of its feedback and animations and stuff), which I found pretty awesome.

I want to love Zork 2 and 3, but I can't. They're just too illogical and unreasonable, requiring you to take actions that are completely unwarranted, such as repeatedly entering a specific room until a character you need to interact with shows up.

Fallout 1 and 2
    Yeah, I'm going to get a lot of flak for this but here goes. Mechanically I love it. The combat, character development and interaction is great. My problems stem from three things. First and foremost are the time limits, second and third are the useless quest log and game space which I found rather limited and bland.

Mount & Blade
    This seems like something that's right up my alley. RPG? Check. Open world? Check. Big battles? Check. Everything about it on paper says I should love this game. But for the life of I just cannot get into it. I can't really put my finger on it but something about it just really rubs me wrong.

E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy
    This feels like something that is on the cusp of greatness. It however trips and falls into a muddled mess. Shame really.

Far Cry 2
    It has a superb engine, beautiful world, and solid gameplay. The problem with it is quite simple. There hardly any content to speak of. Seriously.

Eve Online
    On paper this seems like something I'd love. But dear Lord the interface... It's like playing a spreadsheet...

Ive been thinking this for a while:

Like some others I cannot love Deus Ex HR: Just something about it. I'll play for a bit, think meh, then put it down and go back to Assassins Creed. It's not the gameplay, which is kinda like Splinter Cell which I loved. Its not the upgrade system, which is an ok idea. But no, there is just something.

Any Total War game (bar Rome): I loved Rome. Hours and hours went into it. First the Julians, then the Brutii, then the Greeks. So much time. Medieval 2? Sure! Empire? Guns and shit? Yes! Shogun 2? Pretty graphics? YES! But no. They just cannot draw me in as Rome did.

Fary Cry 2: Same as above really. Its pretty, and almost fun, but nothing can keep me in it.

X3: Any of them. I bought a box set on a Steam sale, and it is just too big. I dont have any space but this one, and I think it looks awesome, but it is just too huge. The learning curve hurts me.

Half Life 2: I JUST CANNOT BRING MYSELF TO FINISH THIS

I must say though, some of what the others are saying surprise me. I loved Mount and Blade (Warband only, Fire and Sword is an abomination), Terraria is a fun 2d minecraft and Assassins Creed?! So much love.
    Last edited by Raaritsgozilla; 21-05-2012 at 11:30 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamant Consternation View Post
    Fallout 1 and 2
    Yeah, I'm going to get a lot of flak for this but here goes. Mechanically I love it. The combat, character development and interaction is great. My problems stem from three things. First and foremost are the time limits, second and third are the useless quest log and game space which I found rather limited and bland.
    re: time limits.

I dunno. I, too, don't like being pushed to stop enjoying the pretty scenery you have shit to do damnit but I have to give credit where it's due, in that there's an actual time limit and not just everybody saying "hey, hero, save us!" as if there's a time limit but you can mosey on at your own pace without changing a goddamn thing.

That, and 90 days is actually a pretty generous amount of time to do more or less everything in the game.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Raaritsgozilla View Post
    Ive been thinking this for a while:

Like some others I cannot love Deus Ex HR: Just something about it. I'll play for a bit, think meh, then put it down and go back to Assassins Creed. It's not the gameplay, which is kinda like Splinter Cell which I loved. Its not the upgrade system, which is an ok idea. But no, there is just something.
    Try giving it some space. I bought the game for Xbox when it came out and asbolutely loathed it, somewhat unfairly, because it failed to live up to the Deus Ex name. I took it back when I was about a fourth of the way through. Steam had a sale on it about three or four months back. I bought it and just got around to playing it. I played a different style this time through (silent killer/ master hacker) and loved the hell out of it.

Funny enough, I have the same exact problem with AssCreed. I know the game is an achievement. Every time I load up one of them, I just have to step back and think "Wow, the world they've created is amazing. This technology is amazing!" but the games are so fucking boring. Really. They're fun to admire, but I get no joy playing any of them. At all.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    Oh, just thought of another.

Terraria
    GODS ABOVE IT'S SO BORING. It just feels... I don't know. I want to like it, but the lack of direction or even anything to do just kills it for me.
    Exactly.

I know I'm in the minority but I can't seem to like Minecraft as well. ... Sorry guys.

Yea I know what you mean. I actually gave up around the same point. That game had loads of interesting ideas, some a bit meh, some really great, but it was just so frustratingly unpolished and flakey, I just found myself play it thinking "This is good! Idk maybe this isn't good. If it is good then why do I keep wanting to stop?".