Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 48
  1. #21
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    That hellhole known as "Spain"
    Posts
    1,698
    Quote Originally Posted by byteCrunch View Post
    Just made all the basic logic gates and a simple timer but they are completely impractical for use in an actual level.

    How did you make your timer? I used two oscillating plates that alternate blocking two lasers, switching a third laser on and off, about once a second.
    Yeah I can imagine the setup would take a ridiculous amount of space.

    I built something similar, an on-rails platform that goes up and down blocking a laser that triggers or untriggers this or that, change the length/shape of the platform's track to get different timings.
    It's a really simple idea, but bloody hell did I have to crunch my brain cells till I thought of it.

  2. #22
    Obscure Node ckpk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3
    Finally joined the forums to spam portal 2 maps; what a wonderful human being I am.

    Here's my first attempt, Unlocker:

    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=71444679

  3. #23
    Network Hub buemba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    182
    Completed my first puzzle: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=71483486

    Feedback is appreciated. I admit I got fed up with replaying it by the end and didn't test the final parts all that well...

  4. #24
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus c-Row's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Anus Mundi, Germany
    Posts
    1,051
    Quote Originally Posted by Quasar View Post
    I had a similar idea for this myself - a thread where we all post maps, then play, rate and comment on the maps of others. I vote we use this one. That way, our maps won't just get lost in the workshop. And if someone plays one of your maps, why not play one of theirs?

    To get the ball rolling, here are some of my early attempts:

    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=68514787
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=70996780

    Share your own!
    "Frequent Flier" was small but interesting, but "Back And Forth" gave me some serious headache. For the record, I solved it without using the moving platform in the final room and the second laser cube - don't know if it was supposed to work that way or if I just found a clever workaround.

  5. #25
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus c-Row's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Anus Mundi, Germany
    Posts
    1,051
    Quote Originally Posted by ckpk View Post
    Finally joined the forums to spam portal 2 maps; what a wonderful human being I am.

    Here's my first attempt, Unlocker:

    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=71444679
    I liked how the solutions to the left and right rooms weren't too hard to figure out but still required some skill to pull off. Not bad for a first attempt.

    Quote Originally Posted by buemba View Post
    Completed my first puzzle: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=71483486

    Feedback is appreciated. I admit I got fed up with replaying it by the end and didn't test the final parts all that well...
    I didn't find any flaws or chamber breakers, so they seem to work just fine. Really liked this one.

  6. #26
    Obscure Node ckpk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by c-Row View Post
    I liked how the solutions to the left and right rooms weren't too hard to figure out but still required some skill to pull off. Not bad for a first attempt.
    Thank you :)

  7. #27
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Three miles from the nearest bus stop
    Posts
    1,079
    Quote Originally Posted by Quasar View Post
    I had a similar idea for this myself - a thread where we all post maps, then play, rate and comment on the maps of others. I vote we use this one. That way, our maps won't just get lost in the workshop. And if someone plays one of your maps, why not play one of theirs?

    To get the ball rolling, here are some of my early attempts:

    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=68514787
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=70996780

    Share your own!
    The difficulty level was about right for both of them. They weren't too easy, but not pointlessly frustrating. Really good aesthetics, too (apart from that one room with the laser and the goo, anyway): They felt like 'proper' chambers. Although that's a certain amount of the point of the editor, I know firsthand how easy it still is to use it make ugly chambers ;)

    But there was something about them. They didn't make me feel smart for solving them; they made me feel dumb for not solving them quicker. I wonder why that is. I mean, it wasn't a major thing, but it does highlight an important point: In a way, it's actually harder to make puzzles for the puzzle creator than it was to make puzzles for the main game, because while the main game can fall back on external rewards (like story progression) for solving puzzles, puzzle creator puzzles rely entirely on internal rewards (solving the puzzle makes the player feel smart).

    I did mean to play everyone else's maps, but the game had trouble connecting to my subscribed maps (I imagine the server is getting hammered while the puzzle creator is still new), so I'll get round to that later.
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of na´vetÚ. It's na´vetÚ turned inside-out. Na´vetÚ wearing a sneer." -Momus

  8. #28
    Network Hub buemba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by c-Row View Post
    I didn't find any flaws or chamber breakers, so they seem to work just fine. Really liked this one.
    Thanks for trying it!

    I just realized it's possible (Though unlikely) to get stuck in the final room. Think I'll redesign it later.

  9. #29
    Lesser Hivemind Node airtekh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    784
    So I felt a little guilty about just gorging myself on other people's creations (especially when the editor is so easy to use) and decided to make a level:

    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=71694580

    It's quite short, and I haven't really tested to see if there are any shortcuts and stuff, but have a go anyway.

    I played everyone's levels, but I forgot which one was which! Anyway, thumbs up for all.

  10. #30
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    μ
    Posts
    1,283
    All good stuff. I lack the creative talent to come up with satisfying puzzles myself, so I'll vent my spleen by nitpicking yours.

    @Quasar - in Back and Forth, is the second lens cube a decoy?

    @c-Row - I didn't even notice the buttons until after I'd got the cube.

    @buemba - I hate you. Three times my cube got covered in blue gel and bounced into the toxic waste. Three times!

    Now I'll have to go back and try thegooseking's again - I cheekily sidestepped most of the puzzle, but I see he's fixed it.


    (p.s. buemba - I don't really hate you)
    Last edited by ColOfNature; 14-05-2012 at 01:40 AM.
    ...common and uninteresting.
    | Steam | Desura | Twitter |

  11. #31
    Obscure Node ckpk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3
    As a side note, I'm not going to be selfish and just spam up my own maps, I will get around to playing everyone elses and commenting. Soon as these exams are past...

  12. #32
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus c-Row's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Anus Mundi, Germany
    Posts
    1,051
    Quote Originally Posted by ColOfNature View Post
    @c-Row - I didn't even notice the buttons until after I'd got the cube.
    Hmf... I thought the turrets would be covering each other enough to prevent someone sneaking up behind them unless you had dispensed two of them via the buttons.

  13. #33
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    μ
    Posts
    1,283
    Quote Originally Posted by c-Row View Post
    Hmf... I thought the turrets would be covering each other enough to prevent someone sneaking up behind them unless you had dispensed two of them via the buttons.
    I zapped all 4 of them with the laser then realised that probably wasn't what you had in mind.
    ...common and uninteresting.
    | Steam | Desura | Twitter |

  14. #34
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus c-Row's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Anus Mundi, Germany
    Posts
    1,051
    Quote Originally Posted by ColOfNature View Post
    I zapped all 4 of them with the laser then realised that probably wasn't what you had in mind.
    Not really - that would be way to easy. ;) Guess I should make the lower wall un-portal-able then.

  15. #35
    Lesser Hivemind Node airtekh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    784
    Man I'm really getting back into Portal, I played a bunch of custom levels after I finished the singleplayer last year but I exhausted my supply!

    There are so many good puzzles created with the editor, it's probably the best DLC Valve could have implemented for this type of game. Don't have to go fiddling about with the console to get them working too.

    Playing all these levels is giving me a craving to do the co-op again, it's been so long since I played it.

    Anyone up for it?

  16. #36
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,259
    I've made 2 so far. Let me know if I'm doing anything right and what I can fix.
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/7...iles?appid=620

  17. #37
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus c-Row's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Anus Mundi, Germany
    Posts
    1,051
    Updated mine to prevent a shortcut - hope it's not as easy as before.

    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=70156549

  18. #38
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,259
    My new map took me forever to figure out how to make, but it finally works. It's very simple but thinking with portals might mislead you.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=72189794

  19. #39
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1
    *Summons up balls to make first post*

    Hello o/

    I've made a couple of maps i'm quite happy with, they play in a sort of series;
    One
    Two
    Three
    Four

    Gonna go through this thread and add to my queue. I know how easily tests get lost in the abyss of the workshop....

  20. #40
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    The difficulty level was about right for both of them. They weren't too easy, but not pointlessly frustrating. Really good aesthetics, too (apart from that one room with the laser and the goo, anyway): They felt like 'proper' chambers. Although that's a certain amount of the point of the editor, I know firsthand how easy it still is to use it make ugly chambers ;) But there was something about them. They didn't make me feel smart for solving them; they made me feel dumb for not solving them quicker. I wonder why that is. I mean, it wasn't a major thing, but it does highlight an important point: In a way, it's actually harder to make puzzles for the puzzle creator than it was to make puzzles for the main game, because while the main game can fall back on external rewards (like story progression) for solving puzzles, puzzle creator puzzles rely entirely on internal rewards (solving the puzzle makes the player feel smart). I did mean to play everyone else's maps, but the game had trouble connecting to my subscribed maps (I imagine the server is getting hammered while the puzzle creator is still new), so I'll get round to that later.
    That's a pretty good point. I'd also add that Portal's structure allows them to introduce concepts and then utilize them in progressively harder ways. Unless you are playing a collection of maps, the Steam Workshop doesn't really work that way. You have to go out of your way to play a series of maps (and hope that the map author is using the sequence to introduce concepts to you, rather than just posing random puzzles at you).
    Most of the maps I have played have been extremely and unnecessarily hard, or fairly straightforward. As you say, making the player stop and think, then feel like they've come up with a clever solution is important.

    If anyone is interested, I've got two Portal 2 maps out there at the moment and a few more in the works:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=68664134
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=71250048

    Any feedback is appreciated.
    Last edited by wail; 17-05-2012 at 12:41 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •