Lesser Hivemind Node

EVE Vs. Perpetuum - A Prospective Player

So lately I find single player games largely...flat. Nothing you seem to do matter; there are no real consequences to your actions. Be as careless as you wish; same death and reload. Nothing really matters.

Reading EVE and Perpetuum - true, player driven sandboxes - has me increasingly curious about both games. I am sort of looking to compare the two. Spent some time perusing YouToube videos of both; plan to spend some more. But I wanted to come in and talk to the players of both games. Get a feel for them and maybe even a comparison of the two from the players and those familiar with the games.

So...on to the players. Which game do you recommend, and why. Is game play itself more fun in one than the other? Are the risk and rewards more exciting in either game? Do politics and decision making and favor matter more in one game or the other? For a person who likes their fair share of both click-finger and brain cell action in games, which one comes out on top.

Eager to see some thoughts on both games, especially from persons - or pilots, or robots - currently involved in either one.

I enjoy playing Eve Online much more than Perpetuum simply because it's a lot more fleshed out. The missions have more story behind them, there are far more ships to pilot with millions of fitting capabilities. More to see, more to do, more places to go. The politics of the corporations seem to be much more interesting as well. With Perpetuum, it appears that the lack of size and corporations means there's nothing really going on.

Both games however have an RPS playerbase which will make it easy to get into either game.

I'd say that a majority of the folk in the RPS Perpetuum group are ex-Eve players, and many are from StateCorp (in fact, the Perpetuum group is StateCorp reborn.) I haven't played Eve, but the draws to PO seem to be that you don't have to be in a multi-hundred person corp to make a difference, and it *might* be less work (as in hours needed to be put in on a regular basis.)

But, as Alex says, Eve is far more established and fleshed out. Neither one is really any place for loners, though.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Thanks for the info. I have a coworker who played EVE for a year. Sounds like a very solid experience. Deep, too. The sheer size of these games has always intimidated me, in terms of figuring out how to get around, where to go, etc. I shall give some thought to both games and will likely end up trying both in the near future.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I would say Perpetuam might be better to get into if you want to make a difference because one of the things i liked about Eve was carving your name in badland space and now a days thats kind of impossible with all the big big corps. I can imagine perpetuam is a bit more of a free for all which makes it more interesting.