Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar

Photoshop Tutorial Step by Step.

Like the title say,never used photoshop but would love to learn how to use it because i can draw pretty well and knowing how to use PS would be great addition.

Why Photoshop? It's way too expensive, imo. I recommend GIMP instead. And here are the tutorials for that: http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/

edit: Also Gimping sounds cooler than photoshopping ;)
    Last edited by Ernesto; 04-03-2013 at 11:27 AM.

What advantages does GIMP have over PS ???

If you are serious about it, you should go with lynda.com

I had a few years ago a tutorial about Illustrator and it was really good. Video tutorial + example files, I loved it.
    There are so many tutorials there, I can't recommend one, but you can start here, maybe select "begiiner" in the left:
    http://www.lynda.com/Photoshop-train...als/279-0.html

GIMP's main advantages are that it's (1) free and (2) it's somehow 1337.

I wouldn't bother with it -- GIMP is not particularly user-friendly and while I've not used it for years it was lagging behind PS in terms of functionality when I last tried it. Photoshop Elements is perfectly good and a license is ~50, which I guess is what, 70 Euro? Ish?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    First of all, do you have a tablet? You won't get much out of Photoshop for art if you're just using the mouse. I know there are people out there who do impressive work with just that, but it's inconvenient and unnatural. Abnormal.

You can always get a good deal on (hardly) used Wacom tablets on ebay. I looked at offers for the Intuos 3 just now(which is what I'm using) and it's crazy how you can get the entire package for half the price of a pen replacement from Wacom (don't lose the fucking pen).

For actually using the software, start here: http://ctrlpaint.com/library
    This is basically all the tutorials you'll ever need. The rest is practice. Lots and lots of practice. You're going to do the stupidest things for months and years and every day you will look back at your past work dumbfounded at how bad you were and how better you are now. And this cycle will never end.

But you must practice.

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    What advantages does GIMP have over PS ???
    I don't really know, since I don't use Photoshop. I just thought, that you shouldn't have to pay 80+ (and that's the basic version) as a beginner when there is a free alternative. And from what I read, what Photoshop can do, GIMP can do as well. And if it doesn't, someone creates a plugin for that ;)
    Photoshop also sounds a lot like it's focused on photo editing rather than drawing...

I don't know what you are planning to draw. If you want to do vector graphics, Inkscape is the better choice (over GIMP) for that.

The programs I recommended also run on Linux.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    If you're looking to draw/paint in Photoshop then yes a tablet is a must. Intous is recommended, though a Bamboo is ok at a push. Sizewise I'd say you're best going for a medium. When I bought my first one I went for a large, but the reality is you've never really use the scope of it all. Further to what Malawi says you're as well to get an old one off Ebay rather than forking out for a new one, and also the pens are absurdly expensive so do look after it. You can get a variety of different nibs for them (you get a selection), personally I prefer the one with a spring in it as it provides a degree of tactile resistance for when you're applying pressure.

The biggest hurdle is getting used to drawing whilst looking at the screen Vs the surface. It can seem daunting at first, but you get used to it. Also for straight lines draw from the shoulder/elbow, for curves draw with the wrist.

This guy does some good videos, and he has a lot of useful tutorials as well: -

http://www.youtube.com/user/Sycra

Feng Zhu is one of the best concept artists around. He has some great tutorials as well:-

http://www.youtube.com/user/FZDSCHOOL

Photoshop also sounds a lot like it's focused on photo editing rather than drawing...
    Most concept artists use Photoshop or Painter (or both).
    Last edited by Kadayi; 04-03-2013 at 01:54 PM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

Thanks i was looking for answer like this. Otherwise i guess 2GB of ram is not enough for Photoshop right,what about 8 ? My mainboard can go up to 8,no more. Will that be enough for lets say some 2d stuff ?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Thanks i was looking for answer like this. Otherwise i guess 2GB of ram is not enough for Photoshop right,what about 8 ? My mainboard can go up to 8,no more. Will that be enough for lets say some 2d stuff ?
    8 is plenty tbh. What will really help you is having a second hard drive so you can set that as a scratch disc for Photoshop to temp write to (Vs your principal hard drive) under options. Not essential, but useful. Also newer versions of photoshop do take advantage of GPU power.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

I'd also point out that 2GB and no scratch disk is probably okay if you can handle things not being super snappy. Not ideal, but okay. Depends how fussy you are, I suppose.

I spent 3-4 hours in photoshop yesterday and i am even more confused now haha,i'm following this guy tutorials.

CTRL+Paint.

But he could explain what kind of settings he have in PS because i see him do stuff i can't do even if he described how to do them :|

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Only tangentially related, but another fun program for drawing on the Personal Computer is ArtRage, which does some pretty impressive simulations of various types of paint and other materials. I only ever used an old version, but I noticed there was a new version on Steam.

It's definitely not a replacement to any full image editing program, but if you have a drawing tablet and want to fiddle around with it a bit more, it's fun to schmear paint all over. :)
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Can someone help me,i have english version of PS5 but keyboard is slovenian,so when i want to use [ or ] for getting cirlce in brush smaller/bigger it won't work because my keyboard is in slovenian,so i tried changing it to english and it works outside of PS,in PS its again slovenian :|

Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    Only tangentially related, but another fun program for drawing on the Personal Computer is ArtRage, which does some pretty impressive simulations of various types of paint and other materials. I only ever used an old version, but I noticed there was a new version on Steam.
    I got ArtRage bundled up with the Wacom Bamboo. It's nice and all, especially the paint but whenever I try to save whatever I drew in there, I can't seem to figure out how to save my stuff as PNG or at least in JPEG formats.
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Network Hub
    Photoshopping takes a lot of time to learn. But you can be really quick in it, if you have the knack for it. A guy in my class creates wonders with it, while I'm still stuck with drawing butts on the canvas. Glowy butts though. You gotta give me credit for that.

There are quite a huge amount of tutorials on the web. I tried to get the hang of it ( before failing miserably ), by going on to the forums at DeviantART, and looking at the tutorials made by some very helpful and talented people.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Just on the subject: If you use Windows and want a free alternative, Paint.net works for just about everything a "normal" person would want to do and even replicates the simpler Photoshop tools (like gaussian blurs). It is very similar to MS Paint while still having a lot of the power of Photoshop. Not a true alternative (it lacks a LOT of the fancy stuff and isn't very extendable), but worth checking out.

http://www.getpaint.net/
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernesto View Post
    Why Photoshop? It's way too expensive, imo. I recommend GIMP instead. And here are the tutorials for that: http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/

edit: Also Gimping sounds cooler than photoshopping ;)
    Surely, you jest.

Photoshop offers way more features and simply is more user friendly, GIMP's like a fancier version of MS paint compared to Photoshop.

As for tutorials, it all depends what you want to do with it, Daft. There are plenty of tutorials online for each different type of editing.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Just to add to the tablet discussion, I use this one:

http://www.misco.co.uk/productinfo/p...FZMbtAodrhEAYw

Significantly cheaper than the wacom alternatives, and got good reviews. I have never used an Intuos, so I can't compare the two, but I've never had any problems with the Genius.

That said, I'm a (semi) professional photographer, so I'm not drawing/sketching with it, although my usage is similar - I use it for dodge & burn retouching, which is essentially shading on the face from the pixel level up to do everything from level-out skin texture to fiddle with bone structure. It's like a cross between paint by numbers and portraiture.

On tablets:

I have read nothing but good things about Monoprice tablets, and the price is certainly right. Unfortunately they have no EU distributor, and shipping from the US is pretty steep (shipping for their 10x6.25 tablet is almost $50, more than the price of the device itself). http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...08&cp_id=10841

Next time I visit US friends I may have to get one.