Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar

Recommend me some World Wide Webomics!

Do we have a thread about webcomics already? If not, am I doing a terrible thing by making one? I suppose you can mention any old thing you like, but if you want to complete the main quest and suggest something that *I* might actually like, I will have to give you the backstory (um, read teh lore).

I have exhausted my current supply of webcomics to the point where on some days I only have two to read! And that's awful, because that only takes a couple of minutes, and then I usually only have these forums standing between me and doing *work*. A lot of the ones I read, I have tired of for one reason or another. Here are the ones I still read regularly:

-- Dilbert (technically not a webcomic but it is on the web and so I read it)
    -- Buttersafe
    -- Dr. McNinja
    -- Dinosaur Comics
    -- AwkwardZombie
    -- BasicInstructions

I used to read Blank It (blankitcomics.com) what is drawn by HotSoup, but that is not updated these days (similarly from wayy back, Gone With The Blastwave, of soldant's-avatar fame).

Ones I stopped reading for REASONS:
    xkcd (stopped because of the too-frequent "if I talk about ADULT MATERIAL that will make things funnier right?" approach...of course a couple of the ones I still check are annoying me with this too, and become less favorite)
    unshelved.com (it's about libraries...I stopped reading it probably because of a long string of SOPA-related comics and general negativity about library-patrons...I'm sure I will pick it up again if they or I gain an increase in light-heartedness =P)
    pokey the penguin (stopped for my sanity a long time ago, I just remembered it now so I mentioned it)

THE MOST IMPORTANT REQUIREMENT is that any webcomic you suggest must NOT include a wisecracking little robot, whether invented by a genius inventor character who doesn't display his/her genius inventiveness in very many ways except for having this robot...or whether existing of its own accord without explanation. No wisecracking little robots. I mean it. Talking animals are alright sometimes though, unless they turn out to be robot animals.

Thanks, internet. Basically if you can just recommend me something that's like Buttersafe and updates on days when Buttersafe doesn't, I will be pretty happy.

P.S. I will save you the trouble of recommending these because I don't like them at all:
    SMBC
    that's about it actually =P
    Last edited by Berzee; 11-05-2012 at 07:28 PM.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

tl;dr

But, I'll recommend you Fanboys, Gunshow and this
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    There are many good webcomics I recommend you should read.
    Freak Angels- it's an excellent comic and it was made by famous and recognised professionals Warren Ellis(Transmetropolitan) and Paul Duffield
    Sin Titulo- it's sadly unfinished, but it's still a very good read
    Dream Life- a kinda philosophical comic about various interesting characters and their struggles with life
    Here are others you might also enyoj: Powernap, Butternut Squash, The Meek, Hanna is not a boy's name, Boxer Hockey, Oglaf(NSFW, lots of sex, but very funny), Aardehn, Zombiewaffe, Sandra and Woo, Roy's Boys, The North Sea Epoch(very short, but beautiful), Cectic, Gone with the Blastwave, Calm Blue Oceans, Endless Origami, The Perry Bible Fellowship

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    Hark! A Vagrant is extremely funny, plenty of history jokes with popular culture mixed in. Sadly it's updated very infrequently these days, but the archive is well worth a read through.

Three Word Phrase is also very funny, the jokes are mostly pretty juvenile with lots of puns.

Nedroid again is really good. It occasionally has multi-part stories but for the most part it's one-offs (but with recurring characters - Beartato, Reginald, and Harrison are the main three). Here's my favourite.

I'm also going to second NecroKnight's recommendation of Oglaf as well, with the same warning that it's mostly NSFW. That said, if you enjoy jokes like this (you did read that NSFW warning earlier, right?), you'll enjoy much of the comic. Just make sure to read it in order (use the archive) because it has lots of recurring characters and the story jumps around somewhat.

Oh, why did I forget about Nedroid? I have to second that. And westyfield ain't kidding about how good it is
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

I'll second NK's recommendation of Freakangels. It's really very good. It's also finished, so you can get a complete story arc, no worries.

Another complete one which might amuse: Ugly Hill

I'm quite fond of Starslip, which coincidentally is also winding down. There's no wisecracking robots, though there is a seriously murderous one for a bit.

Oh, I also forgot Yahtzee Takes On The World. It's by Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw, of Zero Punctuation fame. It's finished now, it ran between 2000 and 2002. It's a humourous tale of one man's rise to supervillainy. There may or may not be wisecracking robots, I can't remember. Jokes about murder, terrorism, drug dealing etc. abound.

Then there's Concerned, a comic about Gordon Frohman's adventures in and around City 17. It was made in Garry's Mod, it's a must-read for any Half Life 2 fan. It too is finished, so you can plough through the archive at your leisure.

I also support the recommendations for nedroid and concerned.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Just check the annual webcomic awards and pick a couple. I never got let down. There was this one about a yeti, and the other that was mostly mindfuck with a guy's dreams (Sin Titulo, linked by NecroKnight) and stuff...

As for small biweekly strips, nerfnow, leasticoulddo, menagea3, elvosque and of course

GOBLINS COMIC
    Last edited by pakoito; 11-05-2012 at 03:10 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    i strongly recommend moonoverjune. no talking robots there. very funny. a bit nsfw tough.

also minus
    http://www.kiwisbybeat.com/minus.html
    its over tough but what a great read that was.

Also, if you end up reading concerned there are notes under every strip. The author commented there about the making of the strip. You have to click on them for them to show up and sometimes there are extra panels or jokes there.

Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    One I stopped reading for REASONS:
    xkcd
    Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    THE MOST IMPORTANT REQUIREMENT is that any webcomic you suggest must NOT include a wisecracking little robot, whether invented by a genius inventor character who doesn't display his/her genius inventiveness in very many ways except for having this robot...or whether existing of its own accord without explanation. No wisecracking little robots. I mean it. Talking animals are alright sometimes though, unless they turn out to be robot animals.
    You are my new favourite forum member. (Previous favourite forum member, </3 sorry dude them's the breaks.)

I stopped reading it for ages cos it seemed to never update but I just checked it out again and it seems to have new stuff? Is Achewood. You'll read it the first time and think "This is just stuff, I don't find it funny". And that's ok, but if you spend some time in the archives, you'll realise "Wait all these characters have UNIQUE and HILARIOUS personalities and that 'just stuff' was actually very funny because it's exactly the kind of thing [character] would say!"

If you can get behind it, it's one of the funniest webcomics online. "If". Sorry, nothing I can do to help the odds. So "If".

Quote Originally Posted by westyfield View Post
    Hark! A Vagrant is extremely funny, plenty of history jokes with popular culture mixed in.
    Well you would say that.
    Free speech don't mean unchallengeable speech.

Garfield minus Garfield. It's just... Well. You have to read it.

Edit: an example.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    tl;dr
    That's fair =P

Quote Originally Posted by Keep
    You are my new favourite forum member.
    *victorydance* I thought I was the previous one too though, so this is kind of a bittersweet moment.

Thanks for all the recommendations, folkz!
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    Darths & Droids does have robots, but the wisecracks come from the unseen roleplayers. Exterminatus Now is described by TVTropes as what happens when you cross Sonic the Hedgehog with Warhammer 40k. Manly Guys Doing Manly Things tells the story of an employment agency for computer games' retired hard cases.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    You could read something by Tim B^Uckley.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Scary Go Round and Bad Machinery are my favourite webcomics (both by the same guy, SGR is the older one and now ended). They are continuous stories rather than disconnected jokes, but they're consistently funny, original and wonderfully drawn.

Other comicx:

Overcompensating
    Wigu - updates somewhat patchy but currently running.
    Gods of the Moon - a bit hit and miss but there's some really good ones.
    Gunshow - Can be too weird at times (lots of times). Still very good.
    Amazing Super Powers

This thread reminded me to check out one of my old (darkest) favourites, sadly long finished, A Lesson is Learned but the Damage is Irreversible.

Then, a quick google search to find out what happened to the guys reveals that the artist went on to work on Braid. Huh.

Quote Originally Posted by Keep View Post
    Well you would say that.
    Damn right I would! And also my shirt opened?

Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    Garfield minus Garfield. It's just... Well. You have to read it.

Edit: an example.

Oh man, Garfield Minus Garfield is amazing but I'd completely forgotten about it. Thanks for reminding me of its existence!
    Last edited by westyfield; 12-05-2012 at 12:03 AM. Reason: left my cravat on

Seeing as nobody has mentioned Axe Cop yet . . . AXE COP!

And also Nintendo Super Squad, just because.
    Guild Wars 2: Infiltrator Dan / Cutthroat Dan / Vile Dan / Fervent Dan