Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Xenonauts

Network Hub
    After observing them stumbling around for a couple of days, I think they're just not PR-savvy enough, and are a bit inexperienced in budgeting. The mini-snafu about stretch goals has caused them to just leave it to the community to prioritize what they want, and they're going to cram in as much as they can before running out of money. I'm okay with that.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...enonauts/posts

It would be more colorful if you had to deal with UFOs and tensions between the 2 superpowers complicated things.
    I don't know...then it would be the old east vs. west game with UFOs playing only a minor role as a technology supplier.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by karthink View Post
    After observing them stumbling around for a couple of days, I think they're just not PR-savvy enough, and are a bit inexperienced in budgeting. The mini-snafu about stretch goals has caused them to just leave it to the community to prioritize what they want, and they're going to cram in as much as they can before running out of money. I'm okay with that.

Well, they didn't leave it entirely to the community. I think they made the right decision.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...s/posts/226254

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    After observing them stumbling around for a couple of days, I think they're just not PR-savvy enough, and are a bit inexperienced in budgeting.
    And they want more money? This is the thing: crappy budgeting and saying stupid things does not bode well for a game. Or for any business venture. I'm less inclined to throw money at them if they can't budget and can't string a sentence together to tell me what they want the money for and where it will go. They're like the opposite end of the spectrum from Invisible Children who use a slick marketing campaign to swallow money into nowhere. I'm not going to give money to either one.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    There will be Linux and Mac versions. Spread the word.
    As explained in Update #5, Xenonauts currently only works in Windows but there has been enough interest in porting the game that it will recieve both a Mac and Linux port for release.
    I like the way the game is shaping up and will back up this kickstarter.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    And they want more money? This is the thing: crappy budgeting and saying stupid things does not bode well for a game. Or for any business venture. I'm less inclined to throw money at them if they can't budget and can't string a sentence together to tell me what they want the money for and where it will go. They're like the opposite end of the spectrum from Invisible Children who use a slick marketing campaign to swallow money into nowhere. I'm not going to give money to either one.
    Soldant, they're learning really fast. Check their updates page for some fairly clear information.

They could use more publicity though. I say this because I found three gamers online in the past two days who expressed the desire for an HD X-COM remake, had heard of Kickstarter but never heard of Xenonauts.

Unlike other successful kickstarters, the average pledge amount is actually near the lowest tier. This appears to be because they are not offering any physical rewards, not even boxed copies of the game.

Network Hub
    I'm really impresssed with Xenonauts and once they get all the assets in, it will be grand. Mainly looking forward to a filled out xenopedia and a proper research/development tree

Anyone else noticed that the latest patch seems to have removed the random events that you saw in the ticker at the top of the screen?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Are they doing the port to Mac/Linux even though it got "downvoted" by the windows majority?
    I don't really get that part in Update #5... Maybe someone can clear my confusion?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Soldant, they're learning really fast. Check their updates page for some fairly clear information.
    I've already pre-ordered. I really don't care how fast they're learning, I'm not giving them more money.

Also I don't see why they need more advertising. Most of the gamers interested in something like Xenonauts would have seen it featured on places like RPS, if not mentioned on every article about the Firaxis remake.

Lesser Hivemind Node agentorange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblazeuk View Post
    I'm really impresssed with Xenonauts and once they get all the assets in, it will be grand. Mainly looking forward to a filled out xenopedia and a proper research/development tree

Anyone else noticed that the latest patch seems to have removed the random events that you saw in the ticker at the top of the screen?
    They haven't removed them, I thought they had too, they just occur at a far less frequent rate. I played for 1 month I think saw only 1 event happen, maybe 2; I actually prefer it this way, as it was kind of ridiculous to see an event pop up every 30 minutes.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by bonkers View Post
    Are they doing the port to Mac/Linux even though it got "downvoted" by the windows majority?
    I don't really get that part in Update #5... Maybe someone can clear my confusion?
    Yes, they are doing the ports. Obviously, whether you can play the game at all is a much bigger deal than whether you have an extra tileset or something, so they determined that votes for the ports "weigh more".

If they have been smart about development, they have used cross-platform tech from the start. The ports might not be a ton of work.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    I've already pre-ordered. I really don't care how fast they're learning, I'm not giving them more money.

Also I don't see why they need more advertising. Most of the gamers interested in something like Xenonauts would have seen it featured on places like RPS, if not mentioned on every article about the Firaxis remake.
    FWIW, I have heard of Xenonauts before but never bothered keeping track of what they are doing - it was just another indie game. Now that they have captured my attention with the Kickstarter, I'm probably going to give them $20. Your existing preorder grows more valuable for free as the Kickstarter money gets more stuff added to the game. That's a good thing, no?

Quote Originally Posted by bonkers View Post
    The majority using windows doesn't make Linux and Mac users not buy the game.

What's next ? Claiming that pirating games is stealing, so a game that sells 100,000 copies and is pirated 1,000,000 times is equal to negative -900,000 ?

This is not a political vote. The majority doesn't have a tyranny here.
    Last edited by b0rsuk; 16-05-2012 at 09:37 AM.

Hi all. I can see people's point about some of the communication coming out related to the Xenonaut's stretch goals, but I genuinely think it's a matter of miscommunication rather than anything sinister or underhand. I pre-ordered the game back in January and, even in it's alpha state, it's given me more value for money than a lot of big budget releases do. There have been constant updates released, adding new content and fine tuning certain aspects of the game, and I've got every faith that when it's finished it will be the UFO/XCOM game that all of us are hoping it will be.

Anyway, my main reason for finally signing up was so that I could post these links to something for you, b0rsuk.

A few of us are planning a mod for the game to introduce the Cold War style issues, considerations and paranoia that you mentioned, as we also thought that dealing with that side of things in the face of an alien invasion would add an extra layer of depth to the game.

Have a look at the discussion threads and see what you think. Any pointers or suggestions would be welcome!

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/f...-political-Mod - this one talks about things at a fairly broad level, as we're still getting info together on what will be possible and what won't be.

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/f...opolitical-Mod - this one goes into an insane amount of detail, listing a whole load of functions and features which would add a lot of flavour and strategy to the game.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
    They haven't removed them, I thought they had too, they just occur at a far less frequent rate. I played for 1 month I think saw only 1 event happen, maybe 2; I actually prefer it this way, as it was kind of ridiculous to see an event pop up every 30 minutes.
    Ah cool. They were a bit too frequent but they did help give me a feel for a world actually under siege by the alien scum - perhaps they get more prevalent as time goes on?

Also, JimBobFury you have convinced me to get involved in the feedback. I love the idea of an expanded geopolitical system, especially as it seems like Xenonauts will not be going the way of Enemy Unknown in terms of funding (i.e. flogging all the crap you brought back just to pay the rent/becoming the world's biggest supplier of medikits. That was always a bit silly though made a bit of sense in Apocalypse).

Sigh....I love this game already. One day I hope someone redoes Interceptor, which I really liked though I know its not rated. Great idea though.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbobfury View Post
    Anyway, my main reason for finally signing up was so that I could post these links to something for you, b0rsuk.
    I'm flattered. I'll take a look at those links. But keep in mind I don't like spreading myself thin (across multiple forums) and likely won't do that until the game is close to release.

I'm also not a huge cold war fan. I was too young at that time to appreciate it. It's a common theme in science fiction books. It's not that I want the game to be a global war simulator. I just think that it's a missed opportunity if you use the setting and force it into "everyone unites against the common enemy". You could quite simply restrict interceptors to fly over the "western" side of the Iron Curtain. It would be possible to crash UFOs over USSR, but it would be difficult, it could require extra (stealth) technology and could have time constraints. Terror and recovery missions would have time limits, you'd have 15 turns to kill any aliens, salvage some equipment, and, say, blow the rest up so as to not leave anything for USSR.