Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Network Hub

@Jade Raymond - Tell the rest of Ubisoft please

“Ultimately, if we are not moving things forward then why are we working here? If you’re going to create something then you have to go above and beyond what’s gone before,”
    http://www.vg247.com/2012/05/12/if-y...-says-raymond/

???
    How many Tom Clancy games have Ubi made?

Its one thing to want change, its another thing to change it.

Atleast she is in a position where she can change something in UBI, but Im pretty sure she has to "fight the fear of the rest" so to say.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Network Hub
    It is always funny when you see these comments from within large companies. It's complete bollocks.

Ubisoft couldn't care less what games it put out aslong as they make a worthwhile return, hence they farm out games like AssCreed with very minor changes year on year.

Though I would say Ubisoft are not the worst for putting out more risky games like Rayman Origins for example.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    There is nothing wrong with Clancy games, the problem is the games themselves and not the title slapped on to them. It's very possible for them to make a GOOD new Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, or even a new Clancy IP. They just don't.

Quote Originally Posted by byteCrunch View Post
    It is always funny when you see these comments from within large companies. It's complete bollocks.

Ubisoft couldn't care less what games it put out aslong as they make a worthwhile return, hence they farm out games like AssCreed with very minor changes year on year.

Though I would say Ubisoft are not the worst for putting out more risky games like Rayman Origins for example.
    You are confusing the business practices of public company with the opinions of a single employee. As such, it's not complete bollocks, as you say.

Network Hub
    Jade Raymond is not Ubisoft. It is a bad idea to clump everything you know about Ubisoft into one bin of disappointment and cynicism.

Network Hub
    Notice how I said "from within large companies." And in any case Raymond heads up a studio of 200 people, soon to be become 800, I expect she can exert some influence.
    Last edited by byteCrunch; 12-05-2012 at 07:05 PM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by karthink View Post
    Jade Raymond is not Ubisoft. It is a bad idea to clump everything you know about Ubisoft into one bin of disappointment and cynicism.
    Funny you should say that, as Jade is the only person from Ubisoft that ever gets mentioned in the press.
    Gaming + female. I see what you did there Ubi. Now stop knocking out Tom Clancy games and get to work on something that's "beyond what’s gone before". Maybe another Tom Clancy game. What about, and I'm just thinking out loud here, but what about a game that isn't a Tom Clancy game? Or better still, a new ip?

Ubisoft boss guy: Have you seen this new Tom Clancy game that we've been working on? It's called Ghost Recon: Future Soldier.

Jade Raymond: If you’re going to create something then you have to go above and beyond what’s gone before.

WTF is with you guys and the Tom Clancy thing, Clancy games don't even make up the majority of the titles they publish/distribute.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heister View Post
    How many Tom Clancy games have Ubi made?
    Tom Clancy's Assassin's Creed 3
    Tom Clancy's Might & Magic: Heroes VI
    Tom Clancy's Child of Eden
    Tom Clancy's From Dust
    Tom Clancy's Driver: San Francisco
    Tom Clancy's Anno 2070
    Tom Clancy's Beyond Good & Evil 2
    Tom Clancy's Rayman Origins
    Tom Clancy's Michael Jackson: The Experience

Those are just the ones I can think of from the last couple of years.

Oh, and there was that Splintered Cell one and Ghost Soldier: Future Recon.

(Seriously, though, I'd totally buy Tom Clancy's Michael Jackson: The Experience.)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by byteCrunch View Post
    AssCreed has a clear continuing storyline though, so I'm not sure the farming argument holds up there. If it was the MW series it'd be a different story because the storyline there is flimsy and pointless and worth 4 hours of gameplay, while it's a lot more robust in AssCreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    WTF is with you guys and the Tom Clancy thing, Clancy games don't even make up the majority of the titles they publish/distribute.
    I don't understand it either, but to be fair the "series" has been going on since... what, the late 90s? Early 2000s? Can't remember, but it's been going on for a long time anyway.

Network Hub
    What about develop?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    What about develop?
    Of all the games I listed, Might & Magic: Heroes VI is the only one not developed either by Ubisoft or a studio owned by Ubisoft.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    Of all the games I listed, Might & Magic: Heroes VI is the only one not developed either by Ubisoft or a studio owned by Ubisoft.
    That reply was @Hypernetic. I see what you're saying though. Now how many Tom Clancy games have Ubisoft made? And for extra points, which Tom Clancy game went "above and beyond what’s gone before"? Objective text in/on the environment in Conviction doesn't count!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    Tom Clancy's Driver: San Francisco
    Wherein John Tanner finds out the conspiracy is masterminded by ultra-nationalist agents from one of the Stan countries to smuggle a Soviet atomic bomb into the city, using a modified 18-wheeler with very high ground clearance.

Am I close?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

That reply was @Hypernetic. I see what you're saying though. Now how many Tom Clancy games have Ubisoft made? And for extra points, which Tom Clancy game went "above and beyond what’s gone before"? Objective text in/on the environment in Conviction doesn't count!
    You've just described nearly every major game developer in the world, congrats. This isn't an ubisoft thing, pretty much every game company pushes out sequels with little innovation.

The funny part is that when they DO push out sequels with lots of changes people cry that the series was ruined and that it wasn't true to the original.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    The funny part is that when they DO push out sequels with lots of changes people cry that the series was ruined and that it wasn't true to the original.
    And when they push out original games people don't flock to the stores as much as with the sequels.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Please, stop arguing with the troll.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    And when they push out original games people don't flock to the stores as much as with the sequels.
    Just because something is original does not mean it cannot run the risk of being awful, it is a matter of risk aversion, in alot of the cases it is the fault of the publisher/developer putting people off. So now people a rarely willing to take that risk on a new original title.

In any case as an example of a success Ubisoft put out Rayman Origins as a full price title, and a sequel is now in production. A 2D platformer at full retail price is pretty risky these days, due to peoples perception of what a 2D platformer should cost.

People want original (or atleast I personally do) but so often it is rather half-arsed because publishers aren't willing to take that risk and invest the money it needs or time, not that it is their fault, that is just good business practice most of the time.

I think publishers just need to spread themselves over several levels of developers, going from the large franchises to smaller titles. Sort of a bit like the movie industry with their large blockbuster titles but they still put out the more risky art house films (though mostly for the sake of awards.)
    Last edited by byteCrunch; 13-05-2012 at 11:07 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    My greatest fear related to Ubisoft is that they make a sequel to Master of Magic. Technically, they own the rights. Normally, I would be excited to see a proper sequel to MoM. But Ubisoft has ruined Heroes of Might and Magic. Ubisoft making a MoM sequel would be like defecating on MoM.
    Last edited by b0rsuk; 13-05-2012 at 02:08 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Yeah. They ruined it by cloning the one everyone thought was the best one. Nalano had it spot on there.