Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I'd come out for another round of R6:Vegas. That shit was fun.

(that's all I have to contribute)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    I too, enjoyed the Vegas.

Activated Node
    For a big publisher Ubisoft do take more risks with more interesting and original IP than other large publisher out there. Then they choose to wrap it in the type of DRM that chases away the type of people who would be interested in their new ideas. Why? It is a mystery wrapped in an enigma, chained to draconian drm then thrown in the ocean to drown.

They are a company I want to support but I just can't until they take a more rational approach to drm.

This Jade Raymond? Her record sure shows a lot of ambition to go above and beyond what's gone before.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinderlin View Post
    This Jade Raymond? Her record sure shows a lot of ambition to go above and beyond what's gone before.
    She works for a large company that assigns her to projects...

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    She works for a large company that assigns her to projects...
    She heads up one of Ubisoft's largest studios, I expect she is part of the group that chooses the projects that reach production.

Quote Originally Posted by byteCrunch View Post
    She heads up one of Ubisoft's largest studios, I expect she is part of the group that chooses the projects that reach production.
    I don't think you understand how corporations work.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archonsod View Post
    Yeah. They ruined it by cloning the one everyone thought was the best one. Nalano had it spot on there.
    Both H5 and H6 were buggy mess at release. H5 has huge balance issues and big luck factor, because strongest skills require skill X to obtain. Most players think it took them 2 expansions to get it right... at which point Ubisoft replaced Nival with Black Hole.

H6 started buggy, and not receives almost no support. No balance patches, and the skill system badly needs it. A reduced game - no town screens,

Neither game had decent music, except a few remixes from earlier games. They got the same composers who created very memorable tunes and still (mis)managed to screw it. Both have poor editors and limited number of maps. Terrible, cutscene-based story replacing writing and war diary style storytelling.

No amount of strawman can obscure facts. Even Heroes IV has higher metacritic score than Heroes V. Heroes IV may have had lobotomized AI, but it had great music and hands down the best writing in the serries.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I don't think you understand how corporations work.
    So corporations just assign people to important positions for the fun of it, and the manager of the internal studio has no input on what projects get produced?

As an example, say something like Rayman Origins was assigned by someone higher up the corporate ladder? And not an internal suggestion for a game, which was then green lit by someone in a more senior position?

Alot of these projects come from within the studios, who then pitch to the people in charge, they don't just magic out of nowhere and then are assigned to any random team.
    Last edited by byteCrunch; 13-05-2012 at 07:06 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The one problem I have wit Ubi is they were adamant to not put AssCreed into the yearly cycle.... then they started doing that with Brotherhood. /facepalm

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by byteCrunch View Post
    So corporations just assign people to important positions for the fun of it, and the manager of the internal studio has no input on what projects get produced?
    I'm fairly certain that project managers tend to come from a pool of people who are either legitimately enthusiastic about making sequels on existing IPs or are savvy enough to snap to attention when they're told to make sequels on existing IPs. It's not like individualism doesn't exist, but corporate culture is dominant.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I'm fairly certain that project managers tend to come from a pool of people who are either legitimately enthusiastic about making sequels on existing IPs or are savvy enough to snap to attention when they're told to make sequels on existing IPs. It's not like individualism doesn't exist, but corporate culture is dominant.
    No it isn't! If it was, we'd have had a shit load of Tom Clancy games!

Quote Originally Posted by Heister View Post
    No it isn't! If it was, we'd have had a shit load of Tom Clancy games!
    Yeah, it's not a shitload until it hits fifty. We're four short!
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Network Hub
    What does Tom think about all this?

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDog View Post
    You mean the guy who marketed his name so well that most of the shit under it is ghost-written? He's laughing all the way to the bank.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDog View Post
    Ubisoft owns all ip rights to the name Tom Clancy - http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/new...hp?story=17950

Ubisoft owns all ip rights to the name Tom Clancy - http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/new...hp?story=17950
    For an initial payment of $30m.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    For an initial payment of $30m.
    Yeah, so we should be getting more Tom Clancy games than we currently are! :)
    If your previous figure of 46 is correct, then 2014 is the year of the Tom Clancy shitload?

Yeah, so we should be getting more Tom Clancy games than we currently are! :)
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Yup. JR sure sounds like a maverick corporate employee who'll work from within to change the company ethos. I'll check back in twenty year, see how that worked out.