Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Max Payne 3

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    From CVG's review:

Why so serious, though? Remedy's Max Payne games were moody and hard-boiled, sure, but there was a surreal edge, and a tongue-in-cheek sense of humour. Max's tortured film noir metaphors were intentionally overwrought, and there were moments of brilliant insanity, like the trip through the Address Unknown amusement park. Rockstar's Max has none of this. They've stripped away all the subversive humour, and it has very little charm as a result. The first two games had hints of the supernatural and the mythic, and a dreamlike apocalyptic tone; all gone in favour of a straight tale of revenge and conspiracy.

Dan Houser is a motherfucking HACK.

Surprising amount of 8 and below 8 marks so far. I guess they really screwed up if the Rockstar-fellating press rates it lower than expected.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    @Roufuss: Yeah that sucks.

Gametrailers gave this a 7.6 saying it's too hard, too long and feels over serious but sort of silly too. Which is exactly what I want from Max Payne.
    Last edited by Sketch; 14-05-2012 at 07:41 PM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    Yeah that sucks.

Gametrailers gave this a 7.6 saying it's too hard, too long and feels over serious but sort of silly too. Which is exactly what I want from Max Payne.
    Same here!

Some more scores here -

Gameinformer - 9.25
    Edge - 7
    Gamesradar - 10
    G4TV - 5/5
    TSA - 9
    IGN - 9
    Polygon - 9
    1up - A-
    OPM uk - 8
    Stratergy Informer - 8
    CVG -8
    gamesTM 8/10
    Videogamer - 8
    Gametrailer - 7.6
    jeuxvideo.com - 18/20
    vandal - 9.6
    XboxA - 93
    The Guardian - 5/5
    Oxm - 8

Via - http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2701664

Decently written review at The Verge who liked it a lot.

I took a chance and pre-ordered from Gamersgate, partly out of nostalgic loyalty (the original Max Payne was the game that got me back into PC gaming having not played anything on PC since 386 days) and partly out of a warm feeling from the previews that Rockstar had it got it pretty much right.

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    From CVG's review:
    Why so serious, though? Remedy's Max Payne games were moody and hard-boiled, sure, but there was a surreal edge, and a tongue-in-cheek sense of humour. Max's tortured film noir metaphors were intentionally overwrought, and there were moments of brilliant insanity, like the trip through the Address Unknown amusement park. Rockstar's Max has none of this. They've stripped away all the subversive humour, and it has very little charm as a result. The first two games had hints of the supernatural and the mythic, and a dreamlike apocalyptic tone; all gone in favour of a straight tale of revenge and conspiracy.
    A shame if that Remedy feel is entirely lost though, but I guess that's inevitable with the move to Rockstar.

graphic novel cutscenes were iconic and one of my most favorite parts in max payne games. why they chose not to have them is beyond me. im sure shooty bits are gonna be good, have my doubts about the rest though

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by grasskit View Post
    graphic novel cutscenes were iconic and one of my most favorite parts in max payne games. why they chose not to have them is beyond me. im sure shooty bits are gonna be good, have my doubts about the rest though
    Probably too much work and the current generation of gamers on the consoles (especially if 360 / PS3 were the first console) probably never played Max Payne 1 and 2, so they could get away with not including them.

Fans of the series will notice they are gone, but I'd wager there are going to be tons of gamers out there buying Max Payne 3 who never bothered with 1 and 2 and won't even notice.

Those gamers want the "Rockstar Experience" and not the "Max Payne Experience," and it seems the game at least gives you the former which is all the majority of buyers want.

This Tony Scott style is horrible.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    I'm interested, but like many others I've got other stuff to play while I wait for the price drop. The only reason I'd buy a game on launch is to make sure I get to play some MP before it dies, but this being a Rockstar game and apparently quite a good one I'm not too concerned about that. Also I can't for the life of me find a single fuck to give about Max Payne 3's multiplayer so that works in my favour too, but it would be nice to try just so I can say I tried it, I might end up liking it but I don't get the impression that I would.

Aaaanyway, I'll definitely pick it up when it drops low enough, I'm thinking 50%, but I find that if I'm not moved to buy a game on day 0 or day 1 then I can usually resist until the price drops below 10. And by that time it's usually only a few months until it drops below 5. I learnt this lesson with Crysis 2 and Dead Space 2, picked them both up for 7.50 and they were 5 before I'd even gotten round to playing them. Still haven't actually touched DS2, come to think of it.

In summary: I'll get it when it's 5 or less, even though I really am interested in it. Hell, at 35GB it'll be 50% off by the time I've finished downloading it even if I preload it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    "Nine years have passed since the last game in the series, yet little has changed for its long-suffering protagonist, who remains deeply traumatised by the death of his wife and child."

What? No! What part of "I had a dream of my wife. She was dead. But it was alright." is unclear? This is resolved. I can no longer look my girlfriend in the eye when I tell her every Twilight film is a nonsensical repeat of the first.

Quote Originally Posted by grasskit View Post
    No comic cutscenes? You've got to be shitting me.

They're like realtime comic slides with caption etc laid over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Drayk View Post
    I'll play it for sure. I love Max Payne. But no need to purchase it right away. Still have lots on my plate.
    Reviews are out now

The 360 version is sitting on 88% with 28 reviews in which is pretty damn great.

The negatives points are that it's too long (wut) in 10-12 hours and too overly serious to the point of parody. I'm fine with this.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    Gametrailers gave this a 7.6 saying it's too hard
    I wonder when game journlolists start recognizing that this observation does not describe game quality, but shows themselves to be unqualified to review the game.

Quote Originally Posted by victory View Post
    I wonder when game journlolists start recognizing that this observation does not describe game quality, but shows themselves to be unqualified to review the game.
    How is "too hard" not something to describe game quality? It should obviously be, especially if the difficulty in this case comes from repeating checkpoints time after time.

Also, how on earth does "too hard" mean that the reviewer is unqualified to review the game?

Anyway, from what I've heard of the game it seems that I might pick it up for cheapo much later. MP2 closed the story for me pretty darn well, so I don't feel confident third part will bring anything impressive to the table storywise (especially since it's not Remedy's game).

Quote Originally Posted by victory View Post
    Objective reviews FTW.

To be honest, the story in the Max Payne games isn't all that great. Especially the first, it has a bit too many characters that we don't really know anything about other than they are the person at the current time Max needs to kill. As long as Rockstar have got that somber, noir-y feel that's the main thing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Giantbomb gave it an 4 out 5 stars.

Max Payne's story is basically the same as The Punisher.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaira- View Post
    How is "too hard" not something to describe game quality? It should obviously be, especially if the difficulty in this case comes from repeating checkpoints time after time.

Also, how on earth does "too hard" mean that the reviewer is unqualified to review the game?
    The general rationale should be obvious. A review of a tennis racket by someone who doesn't know how to play tennis is a joke. A severely underskilled player only knows the game is too hard for them personally, and not much else. A skilled player will be able to tell how hard the game actually is (e.g. in contrast to other games), tell whether the game's difficulty balancing properly supports the other elements and flow of the game, and is able to see a reasonable amount of game content whereas a weak enough player might only be able to see 20 seconds of the first level before losing.

That said, I commented based on Woundedbum's synopsis, but after watching the actual review from Gametrailers I didn't notice the reviewer complaining about the game being too hard. Maybe the synopsis was inaccurate.

I was going on the fact that the reviewer says its too hard to leap around and that the far more effective strategy is to just hide and pick off someone one at a time, which has always been true of the Max Payne games. Plus this from CVG sort of added to it:

It's also punishingly difficult, and you'll often die suddenly and without warning. In the final levels, we had to set the game to easy. It was no longer challenging; just utterly merciless, and - as a result - not much fun.

Banned
    I cant wait for PC version.