Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Max Payne 3

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar

Max Payne 3

Searched, but found no thread.

I thought it'd be a decent idea to have a thread to talk about this in, I know it's not released on PC for a little while, but reviews will be in soon and we can discuss what we hear about the game etc.

Personally, I'm really excited, I know some aren't happy with the direction the game is going in having Sao Paulo, but I like the contrast it has with the New York segments, and the whole thing about Max going bald seems like a decent sort of transitional plot device.

I hear the shooting and physics are damn amazing as well, enemies can actually fall over etc, and Max diving into walls causes him to sort of slam into it, rather than just halt and slowly slide down it like the previous games.

I also hear the game can take between 15-20 hours from the leaked Xbox version (some guy said he went through it as quick as possible in 13 hours) which is good for a modern shooter these days and the multiplayer looks well designed at least. That couple with the fact Remedy themselves have said they think it's amazing has me really excited. So, thoughts?

Network Hub
    Interested but not at $60, unfortunately.

I'll wait for a price drop.

Was smart of them to move the PC release out of the way of Diablo 3, though. Gotta give Rockstar credit for that.

Definitely looking forward to the game, I loved the previous two games and MP3 looks absolutely stunning in motion; at least from what I've seen so far. But considering how R* deals with the PC ports of their games I'm not sure if I'll get it for the PC or the PS3. Would of course prefer to play on my PC however, considering the series' legacy.

Since I won't be getting it the day it comes out (probably a week or two after; Diablo 3 and all that) I'll keep track of forums and shit to see how troubled the PC version is, if at all.
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    I also agree that 15-20 hours for an action singleplayer game is optimal. More than that and it would become exhaustive. But 35 something GB HDD's space occupied for this amount of play time...... I dont know, I use traditional HDD so that cost isn't really that a matter. Once finishing the game I can uninstall to release that space anyway. SSD users on the other hand......

About the price, I believe that if Rockstar put harder on online game, it definitely justify the price tag at launch. I mean, we can always wait for a price drop for a singleplayer game, but not multiplayer game.

Xbox version was leaked earlier but I think it has already officially out by now. Dont know why Rockstar delays PC version for a couple of weeks. To me such delay serves no purpose.

I'm looking forward to this... but going to resist a pre-order until I hear the first few reviews, just in case. Everything I've seen and heard about it makes me think they've made a Max Payne game, which would really be all I was wanting. The fact they're making it 'more' and 'shinier' without taking away from the gunplay is even more encouraging, and the high level of support they're showing the PC is like the cherry on top.

Only issue I had was the R* Social Club announcement... but I've spoken to a few people who have sampled the newest version, and they've somewhat allayed those fears.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Will pick later from a sale. Too much to play right now. But so far everything about this is looking great.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Network Hub
    Their focus on tweaking the animation and making action fluid sounds terrific, but forced mini-cutscenes stopping the action for the sake of making it "cinematic" is pretty much always a terrible mistake.

I predict a good but not brilliant game. No hurry to buy. Hope it will show up on GoG.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Already pre-ordered on Steam. 30 is quite pricey for something like a Max Payne game, but getting Steam copies of the originals chucked in seemed like a reasonable deal.

I was wary at first, but the more footage they have released the better the game seems. I'm still a little unsure how invasive the cinematic moments might be. A few here and there would be fine and could add something, but too many would become a nuisance. Other than that though, can't wait.

Just out of interest, why is that pricey?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Well, personally I rarely buy a game for more than 20, particularly something with a limited amount of re-playability (although, to be honest, I have played the original Max Paynes many times despite there being zero variation between each play-through.) You can also usually get pre-orders for between 20-25, if you look beyond Steam.

Fair enough. The New York Minute mode will probably add enough replayability for me and I'm just pleased that it's a relatively lengthy campaign (supposedly). Plus, multiplayer interests me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Definitely looking forward to it (think I managed to find a reasonably cheap pre order a while back). Little bit worried it will run like shit on my laptop, which has been starting to have the odd issue coping with some new releases (it is a good 4 years old now) but hopefully it'll be fine and I can shoot some dudes in slow motion once again. Hope it keeps the same edge of slight silliness that the first two games had.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandelay View Post
    Already pre-ordered on Steam. 30 is quite pricey for something like a Max Payne game, but getting Steam copies of the originals chucked in seemed like a reasonable deal.
    I'm quite interested in MP3 too but this is one of those games I really want to have specifically on my Steam account. 30 would be a decent price in the -zone but the price is 50 which is roughly 40 so I'll probably wait until christmas sales before dipping my feet into Max Payne mayhem. It's just not a game I'm willing to pay full price and as it's not Steamworks, there's no alternatives to buying it from Steam.

But at least it should be patched and fixed by the time I get it.

Going to pick mine up at midnight Tuesday (PS3). Not gonna lie: I've been wary about the game since I saw the first trailer. The locale change just rubs me the wrong way, but the gameplay looks amazing.

We'll see if it lives up to the series soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    Just out of interest, why is that pricey?
    Same reason they're pushing the next CoD out for same (on both PC and console): they think (correctly for the most part) that they can get away with it for a game of that profile. I wouldn't be surprised to see GTAV at that price.

Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    Fair enough. The New York Minute mode will probably add enough replayability for me and I'm just pleased that it's a relatively lengthy campaign (supposedly). Plus, multiplayer interests me.
    Lengthy campaign in a modern shooter, is there anything more specific on that?
    The three to four hour length of the modern fps usually is enough of a disincentive to not buy unless the price drops significantly. Not to mention the seven announced DLCs for multiplayer.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    I've no doubt the gameplay will be crisp and awesome, but I am concerned about the quality of Max's iconic graphic novel commentary. That IS the experience for me, I can still quote most of Payne's lines from the first game. Will wait for some reviews on this one.

As long as they are well written yet still have that silliness that the others had.

Also, in the 'old school' difficulty mode, there is supposedly no cover system.

I'll play it for sure. I love Max Payne. But no need to purchase it right away. Still have lots on my plate.

Network Hub
    Reviews are starting to hit for the console versions.

Positive stuff overall but IGN clocks this in at 10-12 hours, a far cry from the 15-20 hours talked about earlier.