Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar

Game of Thrones RPG

Any reviews of this yet? Only 2 days until release.

I am hoping against hope that it will be awesome, but I'm not buying day one just because I realize Cyanide doesn't have a great track record.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    I heard every choice you make can get you killed, I like that aspect but nothing more of it.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    I've actually took a rare gamble and preordered the game, though it's not too late to back out if the horrified reviews come pouring in because it isn't available here till June 1st. I'm hoping with the tactical pause combat they know who their audience are.

They've made it look good enough in the videos. I have mild faith in it being playably ok. Usually Cyanide titles don't even look good so maybe this will be exactly what it seems like.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    The RPS coverage so far has been largely positive, and I trust that they'll tell us subtly if it looks like it's going to be terrible... But still, GoT:G was apparently very mediocre, so I'll be waiting for proper reviews.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    I don't get the hype over this franchise. I watched one episode of the show and thought it was terrible. A lot of my friends blow their load every time someone mentions the show and I just don't understand what they see in it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Will buy if I can slap Joffrey.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Will buy if I can slap Joffrey.
    Or throw horsepoop in his face.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I don't get the hype over this franchise. I watched one episode of the show and thought it was terrible. A lot of my friends blow their load every time someone mentions the show and I just don't understand what they see in it.
    Pro tip: Read the books.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    It takes more than one episode. That's like reviewing a game based on the first 10 minutes.
    It admittedly also took me more than one attempt to get into it (as did The Wire come to think of it), but once I did I was utterly hooked. Give it another go I says.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Memph View Post
    It takes more than one episode. That's like reviewing a game based on the first 10 minutes.
    It admittedly also took me more than one attempt to get into it (as did The Wire come to think of it), but once I did I was utterly hooked. Give it another go I says.
    Yeah I'd say you need to watch about 4 before it starts to get good. However: -

Quote Originally Posted by jnx View Post
    Pro tip: Read the books.
    That is good advice as well.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    I think even up to episode 9 my girlfriend was only watching it begrudgingly, but by the end of the first season she was hooked. Now we're both desperately waiting for the weekly fix.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Season 1 like book 1 is very slow and scene-setting. After that things really take off and you get caught up in all the different plots going on. Reading the books is probably the best option but if that isn't your thing then making your way through season 1 of the show will pay off later, as so far season 2 has been great every episode.

I just got into the series and have read the first two books, they're pretty amazing. Then I watched the first season of the tv series and was slightly underwhelmed. Anyone else think Mark Addy and Sean Bean were really wooden in it? Can't put my finger on it but maybe I was just expecting them to be brilliant. Peter Dinklage and the child actors were really amazing though, for me they totally stole it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    The thing is, and I might get lynched for this, Ned Stark is a really dull character. I can't see what more Sean Bean could have done with a character whose defining feature is having a moral stick up his ass. It's the one big plothole of the first book for me: why haven't Ned and Robert been meeting up more? Seeing as they are/were best friends and basically commanded a war together you would have thought they could manage a get-together more often (I'm guessing it had been a while seeing as Ned was shocked how fat and changed-by-rule Robert was). The North is pretty damn loyal so he could have left for a trip south at any time, and so would have learned about the politics of the day. And there is no way he could have gotten anything done being as naive as he was, not in that world.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Play Betrayal at Krondor instead. Sure, it may be based on a far inferior series of fantasy novels, but at least it's turn-based.

Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    The thing is, and I might get lynched for this, Ned Stark is a really dull character. I can't see what more Sean Bean could have done with a character whose defining feature is having a moral stick up his ass. It's the one big plothole of the first book for me: why haven't Ned and Robert been meeting up more? Seeing as they are/were best friends and basically commanded a war together you would have thought they could manage a get-together more often (I'm guessing it had been a while seeing as Ned was shocked how fat and changed-by-rule Robert was). The North is pretty damn loyal so he could have left for a trip south at any time, and so would have learned about the politics of the day. And there is no way he could have gotten anything done being as naive as he was, not in that world.
    written like a 21st century person. Not that long ago, when people moved that was that, you never saw them again; brothers, sisters, sons, daughters...goodbye meant goodbye. Just think about what a commitment going from San Francisco to New York by horse would be. Would you want to miss out on 8 to 10 months of being a parent just to meet up with a friend?

As far as being naive, part of the thrust of the books was that those in the North were substantively different culturally than those in other lands. Was Khal Drogo naive because he didn't play politics or look for plots behind every horse? Would he have understood or been able to cope any better? Yet he was a perfectly believable leader of the people and culture that were written for him.

These books aren't Shakespeare, but Martin creates pretty good characters and cultures.

I will concede he was pretty one dimensional though.

The thing is, and I might get lynched for this, Ned Stark is a really dull character. I can't see what more Sean Bean could have done with a character whose defining feature is having a moral stick up his ass.
    No one will lynch you. This view is actually quite common. He's a bit of a Pollyanna in a world full of Machiavellis. It's arguable that the war wouldn't have happened at all had he been a bit less.... idealistic.

People hate Sansa for the same reasons. I actually think TV Sansa is alot more sympathetic than book Sansa, though.

I'm more sympathetic to Ned than most, though. It's why Stannis is one of my favorite characters. If you think about it he's just as idealistic as Ned, only he has no humanity which is how he's survived longer than Ned (well, maybe that and his crazy, voodoo witch goddess). It makes for an interesting contrast.
    Last edited by Juan Carlo; 14-05-2012 at 01:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Namdrol View Post
    As far as being naive, part of the thrust of the books was that those in the North were substantively different culturally than those in other lands.
    Yeah, but the North also produced the Boltons. Not everyone from the North is like Ned. In fact, usually even other Northerners comment on what an anachronism Ned is. He's unusually idealistic even within his own culture.

I do think it's maybe arguable that his strain of idealism might just be a Stark thing rather than a north thing, though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    why haven't Ned and Robert been meeting up more? Seeing as they are/were best friends and basically commanded a war together you would have thought they could manage a get-together more often (I'm guessing it had been a while seeing as Ned was shocked how fat and changed-by-rule Robert was)..
    I don't think the scale of Westeros is represented well or even consistently in the books, but it's supposed to be a big place. I don't think a feudal lord, especially one with a character like Ned Stark's, would be inclined to leave his duties for months to visit a friend. He is a somewhat dull character, but he's meant to be, and that's part of what I like about ASOIAF. Most of the characters make you like or dislike them at different points in the story, it's not all heroes and villains.