Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar

Let's play Warface (Crytek's f2p shooter)

The game was released in Russia a couple of weeks ago and has over 1 million players.

Stolen from NeoGAF:
    - how to sign up and install the game
    - English translation files

LET'S DO DIS

Really, this is fun.

They totaly nailed the gunplay and movement. It's very fluid and simply feels good.
    It has a clean look and the interface is not distracting at all despite its gigantic indicators and messages. It looks a lot like Crysis 2 on DX9.
    The cIass system reminds me of BC2.

The game is split between PvP and PvE.
    PvE has 5 players clearing levels. IT'S AWESOME. You start by riding in a helicopter, taking pot shots while landing, and then the ramp lowers and you face an initial assault. From then on it's non-stop action as the levels are full of riflemen, snipers, RPG dudes and even bosses (complete with weak points). There are alternate paths and flanking opportunities. You move from checkpoint to checkpoint, complete various objectives and you're extracted to the next location until you reach the end of the mission. PvE missions are in constant rotation and feature various rewards and bonuses. Interesting fact: you can buy or earn "coins" that you spend to respawn if you're not saved by the team.

As for PvP, I only played FFA but there are five other game types. The two maps I've seen are very easy to learn. A 16 players FFA match is very fast paced and to my surprise I handled myself really well. The mobility adds a lot to the game as you can vault obstacles, slide or dive through windows like a boos with great ease. You're more like Faith from Mirror's Edge than the lumbering beast from BF3. The time spent in FFA was a riot. Looking forward to try the other modes!

Now for the shop part. There are three currencies: in-game dollars earned by simply playing (Black Ops styIe), another one awarded for PvE performance and one bought for real money. You can choose between three items and work your way towards unlocking them, which is rather nice as it allows a bit of freedom. There are tons of items available to buy either for in-game currency or real money, plus boosters. There are four armor slots (head, vest, gloves, shoes). Weapons can be customised in-game like in Crysis. Items can be rented for a number of days, for a number of in-game hours or bought permanently. You have to maintain items as they degrade.

Three nice touches: there's a good tutorial, you can instantly spawn in a small map to test items as you customise your characters and you can join or create clans.

This is by far the most impressive f2p shooter I ever played. I never felt underpowered compared to the hordes of leveled-up Russians. There are like a billion players online on a Sunday night - more like Monday morning - and a lot of servers. And yes, you can create your own game.

Activated Node
    Looks interesting. I will brave the scary possibilities of installing unknown Russian software on my computer and report back.

Yeah... I should mention it uses an app thingy sort of similar to GameFly's to manage the patches and launch. The installer is p2p.

I am intrigued. Is this some sort of Russian-only thing or is it going to release elsewhere too at some point?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Sounds interesting. Thought this was going to be Generic Shooter #104. Will give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by dangtrung27 View Post
    I would not try it, it's quite dangerous.
    Could you elaborate?

There's nothing dangerous involved here - it's signing up for an F2P game - one without any region locking, I might add.

So, I just gave it a quick spin, and... whoa. This looks great, feels solid, runs at 60fps for me, and has me wondering why the hell Crytek are keeping a lid on this and only quietly rolling it out in Russia and other low-profile territories. This game is already good for prime-time.

The English patch translates just about everything, by the way, and aside from a few typos and the occasionally weird sentence, it might as well be ready for US/EU launch now. All the speech is already in English.

Maybe it's some kind of "time exclusive" deal with the Mail.ru Group.

Three reasons why this game is pretty neat:

It pulls no punches. It's a proper team-based co-op shooter in PvE mode, and it's possible to easily team-wipe on the first main mission. You actually get a 'walk of shame' failure screen showing the players, hunched over and dejected-looking.

There are mini and major bosses, such as dudes in super-heavy power armor and full size mechs. They need teamwork to fight, as they tend to only be vulnerable from one side at any given time, so you need to alternate between drawing fire and attacking.

You get bonus XP/Points/Money for acts of badassery, such as killing dudes while dramatically slide-kicking into them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic Tarason View Post
    You get bonus XP/Points/Money for acts of badassery, such as killing dudes while dramatically slide-kicking into them.
    Why does this remind me of Bulletstorm? Minus the XP and money.

But yeah, looks quite good so far.
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Sigh, I thought they promised this game to be out in China first.

After playing a few rounds I have to admit that it's pretty good. The gunplay and movement feels fluid and fun. The coop missions are challenging , haven't tried out the versus part yet.
    The only thing that bothers me is that the medic only seems to have shotguns. Which are useless in most parts of the coop maps.

Quote Originally Posted by bonkers View Post
    The only thing that bothers me is that the medic only seems to have shotguns. Which are useless in most parts of the coop maps.
    Shotguns are great for slide-kick instant death attacks. For everything else, just pull out your pistol. Headshots are easy enough at mid range.

Activated Node
    Any tips on using the English translation files? Couldn't figure that one out.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    Why does this remind me of Bulletstorm? Minus the XP and money.

But yeah, looks quite good so far.
    The points were money in Bulletstorm, if I remember correctly. Part of the reason I really hated that game: the only way to progress was to stare at the list of pre-defined combos and work those into your killing routine (as opposed to making your own combos organically.) I mean, you could just kill them, but that would be kind of missing the point.

Activated Node
    Played it for a few minutes, and was pretty impressed. The PvE is fun, and it runs really smooth. Haven't tried the PvP yet, but lag doesn't seem to be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamison Dance View Post
    Somewhere in the Warface directory there is a folder called "Language" or something along the lines. Just replace the Russian.pak with the one in the archive you downloaded. The other one seems to be a backup of the original(?). I just copied it in the same directory and have English text and everything.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Anyone have a gameplay video that shows this off well? I watched a couple and they don't seem very exciting.

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamison Dance View Post

The files go in C:\Users\ <user> \AppData\Local\Mail.Ru\Warface\Game\Localized