Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast
    Network Hub

Hot Synapse Summer Open Cup, Rules and matching!!

Upper Bracket is currently in Round 6

Lower Bracket is currently in Round 6b

All Matches played on Server UK1

Hello everyone this thread is to explain and organise the summer PBEM tournament of Frozen Synapse as seen in this thread.

The Tournament is organised using 4 tools/threads.

This thread is for matchmaking and victory declaring purposes, challengers use this thread to indicate when they challenged their opponent and the ID of the match so that other players can follow. Then the winner of the combat posts here to say he is the winner. Please dont use this thread if you want to plan a specific time to play with your opponent, use steam or the forums PM system for that. The other use of this thread is to post grievances such as players not playing their turns and rounds not finishing on time. Finaly I will post statements about what week we are in and what rounds are suppose to be played.

The other tournament thread linked above is for discussing the nature of the tournament, the quality of the maps, talking about matches and other general sociability bits.

A steam group exists, The start and end of rounds will be announced there and the chat room can be used to talk about any game going on at that time.

Finally a spreadsheet indicates your opponent at each round, the match type and the map used, it will be updated on a weekly basis based on posted results in this thread.

How to read the spreadsheet.

The spreadsheet has three pages, the third page, Match type votes is no longer important and will not be used during the tournament.

Page one is upper bracket, all players start here, they were all randomly seeded into either the equalization round or given a bye and put in Round 1.

Row 1 lists the name of each round, Row 2 lists the match type and map **map number are posted**

The rest of the page contains the tree structure of the tournament. If we take the top left branch of the tree we see two lines that meet. one has the name Coccyx, the other randomnine and in the the line where they meet the number 1 appears. This means that Coccyx will fight randomnine and the match's number is 1. Based on the instructions below Coccyx is the challenger. The winner of this match will have his name placed after the number, on the line under Margenal who he will fight in Round 1, one week later. The loser is eliminated, however in Round1 and every round after that instead of being eliminated the losing player will be placed in the lower Bracket.

The lower bracket is in page 2 of the spreadsheet. The lower bracket is almost identical with one difference. You will notice that there are L#<number> placed all over it. that means that the loser of match <number> is seeded here and his name is placed in the line to the right of it. Based on this we see in the top left corner that the loser of match 12 will fight the loser of match 13 in the first match of the lower Bracket. There are twice as many rounds in the lower bracket as such some upper bracket rounds will be played over 2 weeks.

The rounds with a in their name start on the same day as the same number rounds in the upper bracket with the same game type and map, b rounds and c rounds do not share this attribute.

You will notice that at the end of the lower bracket you can read, "To upper bracket" the winner of the lower bracket will fight the winner of the upper bracket for the winning spot of the tournament. Note however that since the upper bracket player has lost 0 matches and the lower bracket player has lost 1 match then the lower bracket player must win twice in a row against his opponent (same map and type, alternating challenger). For all intents and purposes the Tournament finale counts as a best 2 out 3 where the upper bracket player has already won one match.

How to start and play your matches

Every round starts on a Wednesday at 12pm (24:00) and ends on a tuesday 12pm (24:00) all times UTC

This tournament is PBEM as such you do not need to schedule a date to start the match, here is the detailed process however that must be followed in order to insure fairness and proper structure.

The first step in any match is to decide who is the challenger and who is the receiver.

For rounds which are an even number and 0 (0,2,4,6) the player who's name appears earlier (a->z) is the challenger.

For rounds which are an odd number or 0 (1,3,5,7) the who's name appears later is the challenger.

As such if your name is aaaardvark for example, and there are no aaaaq... or earlier you will be challenger on even rounds (and 0) and receiver on odd rounds.

Having established who the challenger is, this is the process for the challenger.

1. check in the spreadsheet what is the match type and map used. You can get the maps in the two packs in the attachments below. *ALL MATCHES ARE DARK!!!*

2. open up frozen Synapse, log into UK1, select create game, put down the name of your opponent, select the game type.

3. Chose advanced Setup, in the advanced setup menu load the relevant map. </number></number>Custom levels are stored in psychoff/data/userlevels, thats where you need to unpack the below map packs. For best results put all 60 maps at the root of userlevel.<number><number> once that's done select submit.

A new window will be generated, select the game mode in the first drop down menu, in the second drop down you put the view type, since all matches are dark the proper selection is vis at time zero, so you see the location of all his units at time zero but then only line of site. Then there is turn limit and turn time, turn time is default. turn limit needs to be changed according to game type, the default values as seen here are

</number></number>
    • Extermination: 8 Turns
    • Secure: 6 Turns
    • Disputed: 16 turns
    • Hostage: 8 turns
    • Charge: 6 Turns

Then in the box you put down your opponents name, chose the default I play side 1 and finally in the last area, a comment like "RPS tournament". Then press enter.
    <number><number>
    The proper match should be started.

4. Play out as far as you are allowed. typically that means the first turn or the bid for secure or charge.

5. Look up the ID of your match, then come to this thread and make a post, the post should just be "(challenger)<challenger> has challenged (receiver) <receiver> in match (match ID) <match id="">"

6. Log in to Frozen synapse regularly to play the turn after your opponent has done his.

OPTIONAL

you can use the forums PM system or anything else to specify an exact time to play the match with your opponent in which case you are encouraged but not required to post a message here giving the time of the match so that we can spectate realtime.

Victory Conditions

Standard in game victory conditions are used. The victor of the match will post in this thread with the match number and who he defeated.

In case of incomplete games the winner is the player waiting for input from his opponent.

If either player feels they have been wronged they can seek arbitration and a panel of 3 random players which may or may not be selected from the tournament rolls will review the incomplete match and decide who is the most likely winner, that player will be declared victor. Repeat offenders will be given a mallus during judging.

Complaints about imbalanced maps are INVALID maps have been posted and all requested changes have been made.

Additional information

Maps are attached in post.

There will be a x-th place placement match for 1st to 8th place. 1st, 2nd and 3rd are decided for in the current tournament structure so I will organize additional matches to sort out the other spots.

Post current as of 31th of August
    Maps current as of 20th of June

Good luck everyone
    </match></receiver></challenger></number></number>
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Inverselaw; 01-09-2011 at 02:08 AM.

Network Hub
    SCHEDULE!!!

You can read the schedule on the steam group linked above, it is current to about one month in advance (to the start of round 4 (oh god this tournament will never end)).

Join the group so that you can see a more up to date schedule and interact with tournament members.

Youtube!!

ColOfNature, if his infinite wisdom made a youtube group to allow for the posting of the videos and the watching of the matches. It can be found here.
    Last edited by Inverselaw; 05-07-2011 at 04:41 AM.

imirk has challenged jdesler in match 76650

Inverselaw says that you cannot spectate (yet?) because of the dark conditions?

*Edited for turn number
    Last edited by imirk; 23-06-2011 at 03:02 AM.
    Why are you wearing that stupid human suit?

Network Hub Peter Radiator Full Pig's Avatar
    <strike>Crakker has challanged digital_pariah in match 75314.</strike>
    My mistake its actual game 76369, as I will post below.

In advanced setup, after loading the match, I just left all those other options in their default, is this right? It seemed to suggest that the game would be over by turn 5 (Though since its disputed I thought maybe that just when the boxes appear)
    Last edited by Peter Radiator Full Pig; 23-06-2011 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Radiator Full Pig View Post
    In advanced setup, after loading the match, I just left all those other options in their default, is this right? It seemed to suggest that the game would be over by turn 5 (Though since its disputed I thought maybe that just when the boxes appear)
    I noticed and did the same, if it is screwed, well then I guess we will find out in a few days.

If it is screwed, Ill forfeit that match, as I am the one who set it up. I suppose you can also discuss it with your opponent, if you agree to an hour or so both online, you might be allowed to replay.

Network Hub
    This was worrying me so i went googling, I found the wiki and the real turn limits, I thought selecting disputed in the create game menu changed the defaults but it dosent. You have to manualy set the time limit, infact 5 is a rubish time that dosent fit into any time limit of any game time.

Disputed the time limit is 16 turns. Peter dont forfeit, the tournament hasent even started yet so you can just resubmit the match.

Imirk sorry for mis informing you:(

Yeah don't worry Peter, we'll just play the match as a normal one. Should be quite interesting as the boxes will appear on the last turn!

No problem, I think I might resign/lose on purpose, for the achievement :P

Network Hub
    DandC has challenged bonuswavepilot in match 76121 for round one
    Last edited by psyk; 24-06-2011 at 08:57 PM. Reason: round

Crakker has challanged digital_pariah in match 76369

This is the proper, 16 turns limit. The other one had a 5 turn limit, and didnt have a turn taken. Is there a way to delete it?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    I believe if no-one takes a turn, after two weeks it'll be declared a no-score-draw and disappear. If anyone's taken a turn, the last player to do so would win by default.

Network Hub
    ROUND 0 BEGINS!

all challengers in round 0 make sure to send out your challenges and GOOD LUCK!!!

Du3lingdragon has challenged RoastChief to match 76574

i dont know if hes going to show up it appears he hasnt played in a while. also, a little confusing but i finally figured out how to do it

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ColOfNature View Post
    I believe if no-one takes a turn, after two weeks it'll be declared a no-score-draw and disappear. If anyone's taken a turn, the last player to do so would win by default.
    Really? I still have around 30 or so unfinished games from the Beta that I just can't get rid of. I hope I can delete their stain from my conciousness once the servers merge!
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Activated Node
    Stick llama! If you see this pm me with times you can do it!
    Bam. Tit job.

Obscure Node
    Faxmachinen has challenged Graever in match 76974.

Enoch has challenged wererogue in match 76980

Hope I've done everything correctly.

Network Hub
    Web_cole has challenged Zonderic in match 77390

This is complicated :/ Hope I got it all correct.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vexing Vision View Post
    Really? I still have around 30 or so unfinished games from the Beta that I just can't get rid of. I hope I can delete their stain from my conciousness once the servers merge!
    Someone said that in the IRC the other day I think. Maybe it was a proposed thing, rather than an actual thing. The only ancient games I have are from the original server, which doesn't seem to be getting much traffic these days. Maybe they're in mothballs until the Great Desharding To Come.

Edit: wasn't just anyone who said it - see "2weeks".
    Last edited by ColOfNature; 23-06-2011 at 07:03 PM. Reason: [citation needed]