Page 8 of 41 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Activated Node
    The DayZ giveth and the DayZ taketh away. Sucks. I got mowed down yesterday on at the airfields as Llamagedon and I were scavenging for gear.

Activated Node
    Sorry to hear about all these deaths...clearly the game is now a shoot first and don't bother asking questions. Will adjust my Rules of Engagement.

Oh god I died...right well...deathmatch it is.
    Last edited by Mr Wonderstuff; 27-05-2012 at 10:34 PM.

The survival aspects of the game are starting to wear a bit thin, My 'life' is now 5 days old and I have yet to see anyone who isn't RPS or a parambulatory corpse. Time to break out the makarov and start waylaying newbies in Cherno.

Its quite tragic how 1 guy with a winchester can wipe out a car full of people. I bet that story will end up on someones DayZ diary :)

snipes again,

SO after getting repeatedly killed yesterday with good loot, Bobbeh, GT and myself decided to take matters into our own hands. We've become a killing squad, unfortunately bob took this too far and killed chuckles 'by accident'.

Had a brilliant battle at the northern hill of Stary Sobor, we managed to kill 4 guys who were attacking us and only lost chuckles due to bobs friendly fire incident. Got some even better weapons and enough supplies to keep us going for a few more days. We also have a Ghillie suit. Very hard to see someone laying down with one of them.

Some poor guy who was bleeding heavily tried to escape the battle by running zig zags across a field we saw him quite late but a couple of shots from my AK and Bobs M4 took him down. We turned back to loot the bodies thinking everyone was dead and as we emerged from the treeline a full clip of ammunition came our way whizzing past our heads we managed to duck in time and decided to try and get the unseen assailant out of his hiding place, I ran right to flank the woods while bob stayed in the treeline and GT went left. All of a sudden a few telling puffs of smoke about 50m in front of me, i turned to run after getting hit luckily not too bad as I ran down the neared hill into a treeline another bullet hit me. I was surviving on a slither of blood and had had my legs broken i was in and out of conciousness though luckily i fell behind a tree so the guy trying to kill me was only hitting said tree and sending bullets whizzing above my head. Bob managed to spot him in the treeline and quickly despatched him while GT came looking for my useless body. Id manged to bandage myself before i passed out again and GT came over to give a blood transfusion. I'd live to fight another day.

After the battle and after the spoils of war had been taken we went North to meet with Artifex and then headed to Nova to find some ammo for GT's Cz. Mr Wonderstuff was heading to meet us but got gunned down as he crossed a field the other side of a hill we were on, we ran to his aid but it was too late. Confusion reined until GT got a sight on the RPS killer but again we lost GT. With shots being fired ahead of us we finally heard the sigh as GT became the latest victim. We managed to find the scene of the battle but by then the assailant had fled. We started to follow his tracks but eventually gave up and logged out.

Deaths will be avenged!
    Last edited by purdz; 27-05-2012 at 11:56 PM.

Activated Node
    I posted this in another thread and was pointed here, so I'll just paste it:

Alright, I'm looking for a group. Ideally a relaxed, friendly, but organized one.

I've been playing for a week, so I'm not a total noob. I have decent gear (had better on my last char, but I spawned in the middle of a gunfight, in the middle of nowhere!) and I know how to use it. I'm not a player-killer, unless overtly threatened or defending a friend, and I like helping people. So, I'm looking for people who play similarly.

Till now I've played mostly solo, or with one other guy I met playing. I'd like to change that, but it's been hard to accomplish in-game. Mostly you get "temporary friends". Someone who helps you out, or vice-versa, or you bump into and have a brief experience with. These are routinely fascinating, but fleeting, and I want more.

I live on the East coast of the US, but I generally play in the middle of the night so i go for those servers with the time reversed, since I don't play at night unless I've got a military flashlight at least. I've got Skype, but have never used Mumbles or Teamspeak (not averse to them, just never had the need, I've always been a single-player gamer till now).

So I guess this is my application. Anyone hiring? ;)
    Last edited by thebigJ_A; 28-05-2012 at 06:18 AM.

Hey, I suggest you get in mumble and go in the dayz room where are the most people and you can chat with them and meet up later for some group events.

Activated Node
    I've only been hanging with the RPS guys for a little over a week and it's a great experience - there's quite a few US guys as well. Just follow the instructions in the http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...nd-other-games thread for mumble stuff. I suppose the one thing is that it can take an age (and is quite dangerous) to meet up with the main contingent if they are far away. If you see a smaller mumble group they may be closer.

As wonder said, the main group is often a quick route to death. But fun.

On an unrelated topic, I have a question and hope I can get a little help. I'm sure this is the wrong place to ask but I don't know where else to ask. I did ask in the DayZ mod forum troubleshooting section but you guys may know.

So... I'm running analog discreet outputs for 5.1 audio. It works great for movies and other games, but in dayZ I only get stereo. I'm sure my system settings are ok. Is there something in a config file I need to fiddle with or does dayZ just not support 5.1?
    Last edited by Sarlac; 28-05-2012 at 10:51 AM.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by purdz View Post
    snipes again,

SO after getting repeatedly killed yesterday with good loot, Bobbeh, GT and myself decided to take matters into our own hands. We've become a killing squad, unfortunately bob took this too far and killed chuckles 'by accident'.

Had a brilliant battle at the northern hill of Stary Sobor, we managed to kill 4 guys who were attacking us and only lost chuckles due to bobs friendly fire incident. Got some even better weapons and enough supplies to keep us going for a few more days. We also have a Ghillie suit. Very hard to see someone laying down with one of them.

Some poor guy who was bleeding heavily tried to escape the battle by running zig zags across a field we saw him quite late but a couple of shots from my AK and Bobs M4 took him down. We turned back to loot the bodies thinking everyone was dead and as we emerged from the treeline a full clip of ammunition came our way whizzing past our heads we managed to duck in time and decided to try and get the unseen assailant out of his hiding place, I ran right to flank the woods while bob stayed in the treeline and GT went left. All of a sudden a few telling puffs of smoke about 50m in front of me, i turned to run after getting hit luckily not too bad as I ran down the neared hill into a treeline another bullet hit me. I was surviving on a slither of blood and had had my legs broken i was in and out of conciousness though luckily i fell behind a tree so the guy trying to kill me was only hitting said tree and sending bullets whizzing above my head. Bob managed to spot him in the treeline and quickly despatched him while GT came looking for my useless body. Id manged to bandage myself before i passed out again and GT came over to give a blood transfusion. I'd live to fight another day.

After the battle and after the spoils of war had been taken we went North to meet with Artifex and then headed to Nova to find some ammo for GT's Cz. Mr Wonderstuff was heading to meet us but got gunned down as he crossed a field the other side of a hill we were on, we ran to his aid but it was too late. Confusion reined until GT got a sight on the RPS killer but again we lost GT. With shots being fired ahead of us we finally heard the sigh as GT became the latest victim. We managed to find the scene of the battle but by then the assailant had fled. We started to follow his tracks but eventually gave up and logged out.

Deaths will be avenged!
    Least I wasn't killed by Bob...

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by vfig View Post
    Sarlac, Nim, tiddles, and myself were driving across to Polana. We were loaded up with parts to repair a helicopter that was at the gas station north of the town. As we drove up to the treeline, one lone guy with a winchester came out of the trees and opened fire, killing us all in seconds.

Presumably he also took the car—so keep an eye out for a yellow UAZ driving around on that server.
    I had tons of fun playing this weekend. I really had to force myself not to immediately log back in after dying. Thanks to honorary Lieutenant Sarlac for leading our gang yesterday and everyone else for showing me the ropes.

By the way, I think there was more than one guy shooting at us because just before I died I saw a guy stroll out of the woods with a shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by tiddles View Post
    I had tons of fun playing this weekend. I really had to force myself not to immediately log back in after dying. Thanks to honorary Lieutenant Sarlac for leading our gang yesterday and everyone else for showing me the ropes.

By the way, I think there was more than one guy shooting at us because just before I died I saw a guy stroll out of the woods with a shotgun.
    That makes me feel better... I wonder if the vehicle survived that barrage. We went down so fast it was amazing.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarlac View Post
    That makes me feel better... I wonder if the vehicle survived that barrage. We went down so fast it was amazing.
    I know! It'll be great in the future if we can jury rig the vehicles, toughen the sides, take off the top etc. As someone said there are already alternative models for many of the different vehicles.

I hope I can play again soon but I might not be able to for more than an hour on and off for a few weeks now. By that point who knows how many cool new updates will be in the game. I still haven't got my hatchet!

Activated Node
    I heard five or six shots all together, all winchester. And the guy I saw come out of the forest was carrying a winny. It is possible there was more than one winny-toting bastard, though.

In the second or so after Sarlac died, There was a split second where I was trying to decide what to do. I probably should have got out of the car and fired back, I guess; but in the heat of the moment I got into the driver's seat and attempted to drive away through the trees. I survived maybe five seconds at most.

So I lost my stolen AK Kobra and all my stolen mags. What a pity :)
    Last edited by vfig; 28-05-2012 at 05:18 PM.

Activated Node
    I had my first murder yesterday. I was feeling a bit bitter from a few recent deaths so I scouted out a lone survivor and laid into him with my AK. He was extremely unhappy. He had shit gear so I dont really feel guilty.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Definitely sounds like you lost that car to more than one guy. I'm not sure a single Winchester could kill you all quickly and accurately enough. In normal Arma it's suicide to drive a car into a combat zone ahead of the infantry, but it defeats the point of having one to crawl around like that in DayZ. All you can really do is try and keep it out of the more populated areas, and jump out if you start taking fire.

The only problem is we were not taking fire. The whole thing lasted 5 seconds.

In an effort to find someone to shoot I made a run to Balota airfield only to find nothing but a pile of dead zombies and 2 dead survivors (and no decent loot).

Activated Node
    Odd question: does the female model have access to all the skins the male one does?

Activated Node
    Kelron, the range was under 50 metres. A winny is plenty accurate enough at that distance, and we'd just crested a hill, which is why we didn't see him earlier.

I really wish the cars were better. It sucks that you can't even *see* anything if you're in the back seat of a UAZ, let alone hang a rifle out the window.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalfish View Post
    Odd question: does the female model have access to all the skins the male one does?
    No. When you go G.I.R.L., you never go back.