Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by karmakgb View Post
    Unfortunately (fortunately?), I'm just not that evil. Just a regular "Joe" who wants to get out of the forest and into some real co-op action. Next time I'm likely to play is Friday but I'll get on Mumble and see if I can track you down! You running 1.7 or 1.6.0.1? Not sure if I should roll back or not.

I'll be on tonight. I'm playing 1.6.0.1 just because the servers I've been on haven't updated yet. If they do today I'll switch. I hear the connection times are much better. Your mumble name the same?

So, I killed a man today. I've had to before, but this was different. This wasn't a bandit, so far as I could tell, and didn't even know I was there. I didn't want to, but I had to make a split-second decision. I'd teamed up with the one guy I've played co-op with and we set off to meet up with his friend. When we got together, we raided a few barns to get the guy a better gun than his makarov (he was new). Things went bad, and he startled some zeds. We fought them off easy enough, except that one got a lucky hit in and broke the new guy's bones and started him bleeding. We got him up a hill and patched him up, but he was passing out repeatedly. My other friend went off to kill and cook a cow we'd seen over the hill while I guarded the wounded.

After some time, I saw another player looting the same barns we'd been through, down the hill. I kept an eye on him but didn't think much of it, until he started popping off rounds with an enfield and started to get swarmed. He takes off running, directly up the hill I'm on with my wounded partner. I try to hail him in direct, warn him away, but he doesn't react, just keeps leading zeds right towards my helpless mate.

I pulled out my Kobra, thinking to shoot the zombies, but there are too many, I know I won't get them all in time, and I don't know how this guy will react. I fired, and the guy goes down. The zeds are on him, and I can pick them off at leisure. I can still see him fall, crawl a ways, then die. I feel terrible.

This game is amazing!
    Last edited by thebigJ_A; 01-06-2012 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigJ_A View Post
    I'll be on tonight. I'm playing 1.6.0.1 just because the servers I've been on haven't updated yet. If they do today I'll switch. I hear the connection times are much better. Your mumble name the same?

So, I killed a man today. I've had to before, but this was different. This wasn't a bandit, so far as I could tell, and didn't even know I was there. I didn't want to, but I had to make a split-second decision. I'd teamed up with the one guy I've played co-op with and we set off to meet up with his friend. When we got together, we raided a few barns to get the guy a better gun than his makarov (he was new). Things went bad, and he startled some zeds. We fought them off easy enough, except that one got a lucky hit in and broke the new guy's bones and started him bleeding. We got him up a hill and patched him up, but he was passing out repeatedly. My other friend went off to kill and cook a cow we'd seen over the hill while I guarded the wounded.

After some time, I saw another player looting the same barns we'd been through, down the hill. I kept an eye on him but didn't think much of it, until he started popping off rounds with an enfield and started to get swarmed. He takes off running, directly up the hill I'm on with my wounded partner. I try to hail him in direct, warn him away, but he doesn't react, just keeps leading zeds right towards my helpless mate.

I pulled out my Kobra, thinking to shoot the zombies, but there are too many, I know I won't get them all in time, and I don't know how this guy will react. I fired, and the guy goes down. The zeds are on him, and I can pick them off at leisure. I can still see him fall, crawl a ways, then die. I feel terrible.

This game is amazing!
    Good stuff! =)

Obscure Node
    Yeah, good story!

Had an interesting day myself. Started out loaded down with an M4A3, ALICE pack full of meat and meds, and at least 13 clips of STANAG ammo. Felt good about myself except now I was worried about dying far more than before. Didn't like that at all...

So, of course, the game immediately starts out bugged and I'm magically teleported from a far-flung farm in the northwest to the beach near Elektro. Great... No choice but to start heading north again. Long story short, planes start spawning and explosions randomly occur; along with other bugs, this server kills my character. At first, I was prepared to be upset but I actually felt a bit relieved. Having nothing but a Makarov allowed me to head to Cherno for the first time (I've heard it's such a death trap that I never bothered to go).

First time I head there I meet up with a random guy who seems like a bit of a noob (I assume it takes at least one life to be a hardened asshole killer) and enjoy showing him the ropes and we make for Cherno to grab some blood. On the way there, my computer (and the server) completely crash. Definitely was not a surprise, what with all the jets spawning.

Later that night, I'm about to call it quits when someone hears my Winchester in Cherno and asks if I want to team up. Since I don't have much of anything, I say "Sure, what the hell." Turns out, this guy and his friend who we met up with in Elektro are very cool and total team players. Not bad for the first time I actually play with another human for more than 10 minutes. Very different (and more fun) experience from the solo survival stuff I was doing.

At the end of my session, I split off from them to check out a deer stand. As I get closer, I see a fire through the trees. Over the side channel, I ask if they started the fire. Nope. Then I see two bandits moving quickly behind a barn towards the deer stand. No response on the channel... I laughed in the chat at the two obvious trolls who were thinking to get me. Have to be a bit stealthier than that to get me. Or just spawn behind me like everyone else. Haha.

Definitely expect to be on tonight. Do 1.7.0. It might spawn you on the beach but it's much faster. And, yes, I'm Oklahoma Jones on Mumble (and Steam). See you around there!

I managed to die today after 9 days. Basically I ran out of bandages, I started with 4 of the damn things but 4 zombies in a row managed to make me bleed. I managed to bleed out about 15000 blood (I had a backpack full of meat) and finally died in the doorway of the Krasnostav supermarket (quite possibly lying on some bandages). My second life lasted about an hour and just as I had found all I needed bar some camo I was looting a cafe when heard a coke can being opened. Who ever it was probably heard my footsteps at the same time, I go prone next to a wall covering the stairs in case the guy was upstairs, unfortunatley he wasn't as he went round the side of the building and shot me through the window.

Obscure Node
    Good game today, all you bandit lads outside of Elektro. Haha. You got to practice your sniping and I got to practice being bait! Poor Brandon (2)... In any case, happy to run around again (as long as you're covering me) anytime. Never been to Stary Sobor... Anyone up to try? I wouldn't go there alone anymore than I'd go to Elektro. Ha!

African freedom force, aka Ugandan Liberation front.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarlac View Post
    Behold the ULF
    That is absolutely amazing.

Activated Node
    You's guys started a bandit party?

Obscure Node
    Now that was fun.

NEVER post the video...

Quote Originally Posted by motherpuncher View Post
    You's guys started a bandit party?
    wooooooooooooooooooooooooo

love bodge

/too much tasty sarcasm in my post for you?
    Last edited by Sarlac; 04-06-2012 at 08:39 PM.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by GrinningD View Post
    Now that was fun.

NEVER post the video...
    We claimed Stary with no casualties.....

Obscure Node
    Now that IS good to know.

Of course now I am marooned on a hill near Stary all on my lonesome...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    I only started Day Z last night, which turned out to be an (obviously) bad idea because it was so dark. Managed to connect to an Ohio server with minimal lag which was great fun, but today I had a proper go. Loads happened which is probably quite mundane by everyone elses' standards so I won't go on about it, I haven't gotten far off the coast (Tulga is as far as I got inland without a map, having the coastline in sight makes it easier to navigate) and the best loot I've found is a Winchester and an M107 magazine, which was cool because it means there's an M107 out there somewhere which would be a bloody lovely thing to have. The worst thing that happened to me was falling 6ft (didn't look like a long drop), being knocked out by the fall and attracting a load of zombies in the process, my KO timer was moving excruciatingly slowly and I bled out before I could wake up. Also a zombie not only spotted me through a wall, but also attacked me through it, which was really bloody annoying as I had been sneaking around like a sneaky sneaky thing up to that point.

Anyway, I've parked myself to the northwest of Komarovo, just inside the treeline up the hill. Next time I'm on (tomorrow) I intend to check out the big buildings by the coast there, move to Balota airfield, through the medical camp there, on to Cherno (the fire station and hospital in particular) and then either Nadezhdino or Kozlovka. I imagine that'll take up most of the time I have tomorrow. If anyone wants to join me I have some supplies I scavenged off a dead freshly spawned boy on the coast so I have a couple of spare Makarov magazines and a tin of food or two. Noobs welcome, I'm pretty much one myself but I have quite a lot of play time on Arma II so I at least have that experience. Right now I'm going to go exploring the aforementioned areas in the Armoury mode with a Little Bird to just get an idea of what looks interesting and what doesn't. Is that cheating?

I started playing a few days ago with a friend of mine. Besides the quirky bugs and something classified as "almost killed by that... tree?"(never go prone between a tree and a stone/wall/another tree it ends being quite shocking and painful) so far we have been alive for what, 17 hours? My first life, btw. My friend got 2-3 short previous lifes of around 2 hours at most before he decided to gift me ArmA 2 CO and use me as bait or something like that.
    We have been raiding barns, deer stands near Bor, the hospital in Cherno, back to bor and then to some other places and until today we successfully avoided other players just in case. Then we decided to raid the supermarket in Zelenogorsk, making a stop in a nearby barn at the south. While we were inside, we heard some shooting quite far away so we hurried up with the loot and went to the nearby forest to use our binoculars and see what was happening. Turns out it was 2 people having problem with zombies near the industrial complex so we thought "meh, they will be dead soon judging from their bleeding and seeing one of em is unconscious" then I proceed to sneak into the market now that the zombies had been lured away from the shooting while my friend kept guard from a nearby wall on the road, with his AKM and binoculars. I find a bit of food, a new bag, tell my friend to come here and get the basic bag I left behind (he lost his own in a bizarre bug picking up a weapon). The only little problem is... I'm surprised on the way back to the guarding spot by 2-3 zombies, and I start running.
    Now... remember the 2 guys having trouble before? seems like they thought the same and sneaked into the market while we were dealing with the zombies on our own. We finish em up and go back to the market to find out it's surrounded by a horde of zombies in the front... when we see someone inside. My friend wants to shoot the guy but I refrain him from doing so pointing out the horde and saying I'll take a detour to the back of the market and sneak in. Once I'm somewhat close I manage to see the guy coming out, then the second... and then a third completely unexpected one. I quickly go prone, slide away from the place up to our hiding spot, where we decided to run somewhere with more cover and check on em. Turns out they were 5 so we quickly run away to the forest as a precaution and took a huge detour to the Grüner Berg and the 3 deer stands were we found a sweet silenced M9, a Coyote Backpack (24 slots <3) and ammo for our weapons.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    ...I intend to check out the big buildings by the coast there, move to Balota airfield, through the medical camp there, on to Cherno (the fire station and hospital in particular)...
    I'll give you a few options, depending on what you're aiming to do:

Gather good loot with minimal risk: Head inland and loot dear stands. That or team up with people who are willing to fast track you to good gear.

Repeatedly empty your Makarov in panicky fire fights: You seem to have this plan covered already :).

Do a quick and daring day-light raid and escape with the spoils: Elektro and Cherno fire houses are good targets. Except for the happy ending that is.

PK like the best of them: The plan above, except this time you're the predator.

Farm loot in the barracks up north until you get the assault rifle of your dreams: Team up, head north, pick up gear on the way. Farming is not as dull as it sounds in this game though still gamey as hell.

PvP with good gear: Pick a plausible plan from above for the gear. Then head to hotspots in the north.

It's a fun game, just don't take it too seriously when you die.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Yeah, I've died plenty of times, most of the time being my mistake or other players, and others were just freak glitches (falling off a ladder whilst climbing down was one, being found through walls and zombies spawning on me are others).

I'm kind of in a bind at the moment, I disconnected while I was bleeding and broken (out of pure panic) and now when I log back in I've got a very slow KO timer and I'm bleeding out. I'm just to the south of the supermarket in Cherno, so if any particularly charitable humans would like to revive me (I presume I can be bandaged while in this state) so I can carry on I can give you an AKM with a full mag and a partially empty one, it was that bloody thing that got me in that situation to begin with. Any takers? I don't really want to die as I've spent three hours crawling around Cherno to gather stuff, but I guess someone will either help me or execute me and take my stuff anyway so it's wide open.

Activated Node
    Just wanted to say to whoever created the Stan Bush/Vince diCola/Transformers sub room on the RPS Mumble: I love you.

You got the touch!

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarlac View Post
    wooooooooooooooooooooooooo

love bodge

/too much tasty sarcasm in my post for you?
    No, just too much treading on dodgy territory

Obscure Node
    What a great community this is! I just logged into the UK_EX server and had my first human contact. It was nail-bitingly intense. We found each other at a barn and used the in-game 'nearby' chat function to establish we're both friendly. Then there was the SUPER INTENSE part where we actually started travelling with each other. I finally broke the tension I was feeling by saying "Look, I know I already said this, but I have no interest in shooting you. I hope you don't either, so just...uh, know that, okay?" and he chuckles and goes, "It's cool man. I wanna go into Chernorsk and shoot everyone there, so you may not wanna be around for that, but until then, I don't want to shoot you."

He then led me into my first city and taught me more about the interface and we found me a shotgun and looted a supermarket and it was all really exciting and tense. And the whole time, he didn't shoot me!