Page 15 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    I have got it working finally and I didn't really notice much difference in detection range, possibly as I tend to keep my distance anyway. What I did notice though is that zombies spawn inside buildings, lots of zombies, not only that but they have a habit of clipping right through the wall and then aggroing me en masse. I only did a short NE airfield run and this happened to me twice (once in the toolshed and once in the barn over the hill). I think will wait for the hotfix before playing again, the repop rate and the rather eratic zombie behaviour make things a little too dangerous at the moment.

Its just as well that I am well equipped, it must be a nightmare trying to get starting gear without even a pistol.
    Last edited by palindrome; 17-06-2012 at 06:30 PM.

Do any RPSers play regularly, cooperatively, any particularly day and time (UK-time)? Looking to get into this! Thanks

Activated Node
    When I played 1.7.1 before the most recent hotfix, I found lots and lots of zombies not moving. They'd go through their animations, but not go anywhere. There were also huge groups of them (like 20+) bunched up on the road at the edges of towns. I don't have time to play right now, so idk if it's still doing that.

IDK how I'm going to feel once I die now, considering I'll start with nothing but an item I'd never even bother picking up myself. (Seriously, why would I ever use the flashlight that takes up the pistol slot?). I'm glad at least the update didn't reset my character, so I don't have to experience the new naked start just yet.

Yea cheese just get in mumble when you feel like playing and join the channels where people are, the rest is up to you.

Hey there guys, looking to play some cooperative Day Z with some RPS folks. Long time RPS reader and fan. I'm West Coast USA looking to play after 6pm to midnight. I'm also dubious_79 on steam.

1.7.1.2 is out, get ready to chop off some heads!

HOTFIX : 19 JUNE 2012

Affected addons:
    * dayz_code 1.7.1.2
    * dayz_weapons 1.3
    * dayz_equip 1.3.1
    * dayz_server (server admins only)

Developer's Note:
    * YES: I know this hotfix has content in it. It was content that didn't make it into the last update, and some of the fixes are bundled with this content, so it was easier to release the content than try to remove it.
    * Requires ArmA2 Beta.
    * NOTE: VERY IMPORTANT: MELEE WEAPONS ARE QUITE UNDER POWERED CURRENTLY. THEY WILL BE ADJUSTED UPWARDS OVER THE NEXT FEW WEEKS. EACH HAVE DIFFERENT DAMAGE VALUES.
    * ALSO NOTE: Melee is just in testing. They may not stay, they are just being tested to see how they perform. They are missing their sound effects, and tweaking of effects also.

Changelog:
    * [NEW] Tone Mapping to enhance nightlighting conditions
    * [FIXED] Generic Loot not spawning (such as food etc...)
    * [FIXED] Animals stand still and HURR DURRR (they now walk around)
    * [FIXED] New blood values not being saved when a player eats (they do now)
    * [FIXED] Duplicate players not being removed (should now be removed on login)
    * [NEW] Melee Weapon introduced: Hatchet (can only drop through right click in gear menu)
    * [NEW] Maximum animals increased
    * [NEW] Melee Weapon introduced: Crowbar (can only drop through right click in gear menu)
    * [NEW] Double Barrelled shotgun sound
    * [FIXED] Gender assignment broken (working correctly)
    Last edited by Sarlac; 19-06-2012 at 02:33 PM. Reason: typo

Activated Node
    ....or not chop some heads. It's causes server strain as when you drop a melee weapon it drops 'ammo' as well - due to being based on a rifle-type weapon. I wouldn't pick them up yet if I were you...

Obscure Node
    lol, check this out,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uCmzckaaDk#t=01m15s

Loving the realism....

1.7.1.3 pending

Current Changelog for 1.7.1.3
    Affected addons:
    * dayz_code 1.7.1.3

Developer's Note:
    * Requires ArmA2 Beta.

Changelog:
    * [FIXED] Melee items causing magazine glitching and eventual server death (fixed)
    * [FIXED] Unconscious UI Image displays incorrectly
    * [FIXED] Bleeding never stops unless bandaged (chance of spontanious bleeding stopping now works)
    * [FIXED] Interior infected spawning inside of building walls etc... (interior infected now spawn inside correctly)
    * [FIXED] Speed not correctly utilized for checking stealth levels (https://dev-heaven.net/issues/33630 )
    * [FIXED] Posture error can occur on stealth check ( https://dev-heaven.net/issues/33628 )
    * [FIXED] Config error messages on popup (Caused by legacy classnames, error handling implemented to prevent this)
    * [FIXED] Unable to repair helicopter fuel leak (repair all parts to 95% or above and fuel leak will stop)
    * [FIXED] Massive lag and desync on some servers (mostly caused by the invisible replicating magazines)
    * [REVERT] Nerf of sickness damage (now will reduce your blood to 6000 rather than 10000)
    * [FIXED] Losing blood from starvation/dehydration cannot receive transfusion ( https://dev-heaven.net/issues/33677 )

----------

melee weapons seem to spawn all over the place so hopefully sarting without a weapon shouldn't be that bad.
    Has anyone else noticed that crouch run appears to be slower now?

1.7.1.4 yay?

Build Notes

Affected addons:
    * dayz_code 1.7.1.4
    * dayz_equip 1.3.2

Changelog:
    * [FIXED] Performance issue with equipment proxies (improves FPS)

Affected addons:
    * dayz_code 1.7.1.3
    * dayz_weapons 1.3.1
    * dayz_server (server admins only)

Developer's Note:
    * Requires ArmA2 Beta.
    * Big thanks to JoeKurtz for his excellent bug reports

Changelog:
    * [FIXED] Melee items causing magazine glitching and eventual server death (fixed)
    * [FIXED] Unconscious UI Image displays incorrectly
    * [FIXED] Bleeding never stops unless bandaged (chance of spontanious bleeding stopping now works)
    * [FIXED] Interior infected spawning inside of building walls etc... (interior infected now spawn inside correctly)
    * [FIXED] Speed not correctly utilized for checking stealth levels (
    https://dev-heaven.net/issues/33630
    )
    * [FIXED] Posture error can occur on stealth check (
    https://dev-heaven.net/issues/33628
    )
    * [FIXED] Config error messages on popup (Caused by legacy classnames, error handling implemented to prevent this)
    * [FIXED] Unable to repair helicopter fuel leak (repair all parts to 95% or above and fuel leak will stop)
    * [FIXED] Massive lag and desync on some servers (mostly caused by the invisible replicating magazines)
    * [REVERT] Nerf of sickness damage (now will reduce your blood to 6000 rather than 10000)
    * [FIXED] Losing blood from starvation/dehydration cannot receive transfusion (
    https://dev-heaven.net/issues/33677
    )
    * [FIXED] Hunger and Thirst no longer continue to drop while you are offline (only ingame time counts)
    * [NEW] Once infected lose line-of-sight they will try investigate where you are
    * [FIXED] Flies still heard around removed/hidden bodies (
    https://dev-heaven.net/issues/33472
    )
    * [NEW] Significant loot rebalancing
    * [FIXED] "Fus ro dah" melee (now should be the correct release files)
    Last edited by Sarlac; 19-06-2012 at 05:56 PM.

Obscure Node
    Interesting experience this evening on the more recent server. Simple extraction mission to get billyphuz out of the town of <name redacted>. For simplicity, I decide to go out to the border seam and drive along that, as billy walked out to meet me. Realized I'd possibly overshot, so parked on a peak and scanned with binocs. Told billy to run up nearest peak. Easily spotted him profiled on a ridgeline and drove for the pickup. Joked about how that sure better be him. Stopped my truck 10 meters from billy. Noticed billy was now white, and carried a new weapon. Noticed the weapon was pointed at me. Realized this wasn't billy. Billy chimes in that he's on the hill I just came from. Still couldn't believe that it wasn't billy, so rather than run him over, I execute a quick u-turn and flee down the hill. The faint cracks of mock-billy's mp5 follow, but without causing damage. True-billy returns fire from long range with his weapon (A-cog?). Mock-billy runs down the hill, hops on a previously unseen quad bike and speeds off. As I'm gathering my wits / changing my pants, billy discover a medium sized enemy camp, 13 tents, and no doubt the source of the billy impostor. We summon cuth, who was in the neighborhood, and I park the pickup behind a convenient ridge. The three of us stakeout the camp. Cuth and I have sniper weapons, so we sit overwatch as billy checks the tents. They're full mediocre equipment, but we leave it be, so as not to tip them off.

I'm prone in overwatch, just below a ridge (so as not to be skylined) when I see a sheep through the grass coming up the hill about 40 meters away. The slope creates a bit of a blind spot, so it's not surprising the sheep could get that close without being spotted. What is surprising is that the sheep is carrying an assault rifle. Also, this sheep has both the head and body of a man. A man who is now looking right at me. This is not the range my DMR was designed for, but it turns out that if you expend enough ammo, it will totally do in a pinch. The corpse has only an AKM on it, which is confusing, since the billy impostor had clearly had an mp5.

This is all good fun, but it makes me feel rather exposed, so I shift position. Everywhere in the border of the map area feels exposed, but I'd at least like to be somewhere where sheep-men won't sneak up on me. The ridge had a arm that comes off of it, and by moving to it I still have a good view of the camp, but rising ground to my rear keeps me from being spotted by people too far off. While I'm there, we debate our next course of action. We have many ideas, but eventually we settle on having me get runover by a surprise blue minivan. This plan was aided immensely by the actual appearance of a blue minivan, immediately to my rear. I still don't know if this was part of a grand plan on our foe's part, or pure dumb luck, but I'm left broken and bleeding. Still, nothing a little bandage and morphine can't fix. And I'm off and running. I run fast. The bullets run faster. And I'm bleeding again. And dead.

The next part of the story I'm a bit foggy on, because I was, you know, dead.

Cuth is still hopelessly out of position, but Billy can see my assailants as they loot my corpse. He dishes out some 5.56 vegence, I believe hitting one, and they both logout. Vehicular vengeance is taken on all but one of their tents (gotta leave something for bait), and overwatch continued. Around this time it becomes apparent that they've found and pilfered our white pickup. Billy ends up in the losing side of a firefight and is killed. Cuth crawls into position, engages all three while they are in the middle of looting Billy's corpse. Sadly, the grass blocks Cuth's view, but not their's and he is one shotted by a sniper rifle.

At this point we've at best killed one, and lost 3. And a pickup. But our hearts are full of anger. Our reincarnated selves reach base camp in record time. We grab just the basics. Guns to kill with. Bandages. A little food and water. No need for backpacks, this isn't about loot. I have an ACOG, Billy a DMR, and Cuth has the glorious M240. As we near the area, we continue the approach on foot, from the well forested side of the map border. There is only perhaps two compasses, one map, and one pair of binocs between us, and in our eagerness we become separated. We're in lowland forest, with their camp uphill and slightly left. A long ridge is on our far left, and more forest is ahead and right. Cuth spots the murderous blue minivan near the site of recently de-tented camp. He and Billy head up to the high ridge on the left, while I creep on in the woods leading towards their camp.

I spot Cuth as he profiles against the ridge. So does the sniper. Cuth hears the bark of a the .50 cal, but it's a miss. He spots the sniper in the trees quite near their camp. The sniper makes a run for the minivan, and begins escaping downhill, towards (but not visible from) my position in the woods.

Now as it turns out, the M240 light machine gun is the natural enemy of the minivan. Cuth puts it to good use, lighting up the escaping van with tracer fire. The driver apparently decides that discretion AND blatant cheating is the better part of valor, and logs out, because as Cuth approaches the stopped van it's running, but empty. Drawn by the tracers, I approach through the woods, and with my keen vision, I spot a camouflaged soldier crouching just meters from the van. It's child's play at this range to put two 5.56mm rounds right through his chest.

Cuth politely asks that I stop shooting him. Ahh. Right, that would explain why the soldier is black and carrying an M240. What are you going to do, it's the RPS way. Cuth bandages himself, heroically shrugging off the two rifle wounds. I take my frustration out on the captured minivan, which I crash into a tree, and then set afire.

This seems like a good time to withdraw, so Cuth and I fade deeper into the woods. Billy, who was too far up on the left ridge to take part starts to walk back down. He accidentally gets much closer than he meant to the camp though. I know this because he says "Woah, I accidentally got much closer than I meant to the camp." Also, later he says "I've been shot and I'm dead". Turns out our cheating sniper friend had made his reappearance.

Cuth and I backtrack, hoping to maybe get a shot at whoever loot's Billy's corpse. But we're hopelessly far. By the time we get there the enemy is long gone, heading into the sunset. We know this because Cuth spots him cresting the barren ridge, backlit by the sunset. It's a long way off, but we recklessly make chase. Finally on the far side of the ridge, we have the immense expanse of OffMapia before us. It seems hopeless, but we start searching. Then Cuth spots it.

Maybe 400 meters away. A pickup truck. Not any pickup truck. Our pickup truck. Abandoned. I run into position and rise my binocs. The pickup truck has not been abandoned after all. A ghilly suited figure stands next to it. Note to others, disguising yourself as a bush does not work as well in a bushless land. The bush suddenly falls down, as if he's died. He's logged out, but his body is still visible. We open fire, and Cuth's 7.62 rounds do fine work. The bush bleeds heavily. Cuth runs up to check, while I stay in overwatch. The bush is dead. A second dead bush is next to him. Not sure where that one came from. Cuth loots the first bush, which has a .50 cal, nightvision, rangefinder, and other wonderful stuff. Cuth tries to loot the second bush, but the only option he gets is "Check Pulse". Ahh. Squinting through my ACOG optics I can see that a pulse was indeed present as great geysers of blood shoot out of the second bush. We've pushed our luck enough though for one day. Cuth loots the good stuff, hops in the wayward hilux, and picks me up. We make it back to base safe and sound. Cuth's record shows two murders.

With the state of the game right now, it's hard to say exactly what happened at the end. The 2nd "bush" might well have been stunned from trying to login in a shock state. The first bush might have been a victim of body persistence after logout. What's important to my fellow Ugandans is that we must be vigilant. The map border area is becoming very popular, and many of the people clever enough utilize it are also clever enough for all sorts of knavery such as logging out to re-position themselves. Between that, and the increasing use of teamspeak type services, you should assume that anyone you engage has spotted you, and he/his allies will be moving on your position. Also, through the duplication bug, high end gear like ghilly suits, nvg's, rangefinders, and heavy sniper rifles are becoming more common.

Anyway, be safe my fellow freedom fighters. And watch out for deadly blue minivans.

Caput

During my nvg guided drive around the map last night I found that "deadly" blue minivan at grid [DELETED] and removed all of the items stored within. It was in a sad state of repair when I left it.

PSA: Do not log out near the vehicles. If you log back in and they have moved you may be crushed.

edit: patch 1.7.1.5 is coming soon

Current Changelog for 1.7.1.5
    * [NEW] Infected raycast for line-of-sight less often (improves performance)
    * [FIXED] Infected can see through terrain ( https://dev-heaven.net/issues/33787 )
    * [FIXED] Raycasting being taken from wrong body position (ensured it is from eye level)
    * [FIXED] Infected sometimes spawn close to a player (previous check once, now up to ten times)
    * [NEW] Infected bodies will despawn after x minute(s) of their death (improves performance)
    * [FIXED] Sometimes infected will stand still after loosing line-of-sight ( https://dev-heaven.net/issues/33715 )
    * [FIXED] Can dupe tent's by right clicking (forgot to close the window)
    * [FIXED] Poor performance caused by infected search behavior (MAJOR performance increase during closed testing)
    * [FIXED] Audibility is far to high (completely rebalanced, in line with how it was in previous updates)
    * [FIXED] Can dupe food during cooking if click really fast (now you cannot)
    * [FIXED] Hatchet takes up too much room (can now be transferred between toolbelt and primary slot through gear action)
    * [NEW] Flashlights can now be packed to toolbelt also (gear action)

Last edited by Sarlac; 20-06-2012 at 05:36 PM.

Obscure Node
    Caput, what server did all this action take place on?
    I'm assuming Hardcore 2

Yes, it was hardcore 2.

ALL TENTS WILL BE DELETED WITH THE RELEASE OF THIS PATCH 1.7.1.5

We have consolidated all important gear into the vehicles and they are ALL FULL.
    Please do not move vehicles or store anything in tents until the patch is released and we can get some new tents placed.

On that note, after this patch the duplication of tents should be a thing of the past. So, everyone should be on the look out for tents. We have a few in the vehicles now but may not have any at all after the wipe.
    Last edited by Sarlac; 20-06-2012 at 05:43 PM.

Activated Node
    Um...did you move the vehicles Sarlac? Can't see them having just logged in.

NOPE! We were robbed! Return to Uganda!

What time do you lot tend to play at in GMT?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by palindrome View Post
    What time do you lot tend to play at in GMT?
    All the time it's 3am at the moment and theres a . Join the mumble server and come in the DayZ room, there's always someone around.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyFizz View Post
    All the time it's 3am at the moment and theres a . Join the mumble server and come in the DayZ room, there's always someone around.
    Which server do you guys use?