Page 9 of 40 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Activated Node
    So no female ghillie suit then?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vfig View Post
    Kelron, the range was under 50 metres. A winny is plenty accurate enough at that distance, and we'd just crested a hill, which is why we didn't see him earlier.

I really wish the cars were better. It sucks that you can't even *see* anything if you're in the back seat of a UAZ, let alone hang a rifle out the window.
    It is accurate enough, I'm just not convinced a lone guy could kill 4 in a moving vehicle that fast. Maybe he was really good, but it sounds like you were unlucky and ran into a group you didn't spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalfish View Post
    So no female ghillie suit then?
    The ghillie suit is basically a mobile bush, I don't think there is any need for a distinct female model :)

Network Hub
    Arma 2 doesn't have shooting rifles from vehicles included, one of the major things it lacks and will hopefully be something they add in Arma 3 not that it would help of course. You can't see anything because there is no windows in the back of a UAZ.

Activated Node
    Unlikely, they said that firing from vehicles would be in ArmA 2. :-)

Anyway, my question was whether the female char could equip camo and stuff, like the lads.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalfish View Post
    Unlikely, they said that firing from vehicles would be in ArmA 2. :-)

Anyway, my question was whether the female char could equip camo and stuff, like the lads.
    Good question, Grinning chose a female skin and discovered today that unfortunately you can't equip different skins with it yet, or at least not the camo uniform. I am sure it will be added in a future update though.

Activated Node
    So I just pop into the mumble server and announce myself, then? I don't want to barge in or interrupt anything.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigJ_A View Post
    So I just pop into the mumble server and announce myself, then? I don't want to barge in or interrupt anything.
    Yup. Go into the DeadZ channel where you see a group say "hi" and "which server are you on" and "where the hell are you". At that point you can decide if you are close enough to join the group - if they are too far away it may be worth seeing if anyone else is on another channel and asking the same questions as above. Last night I spent most of the evening just creeping north on my own - I was actually in the channel to get an idea of where the guys were headed as that changes so I could adjust my movements.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Llamageddon View Post
    Good question, Grinning chose a female skin and discovered today that unfortunately you can't equip different skins with it yet, or at least not the camo uniform. I am sure it will be added in a future update though.
    Indeed, when you try to equip a skin as a girl a message drifts up across the display saying that they have not been implemented for the female class yet and that this will be addressed soon.

So going by his usual update speed I doubt we have long to wait ;)

Obscure Node

Pepsi is bad for your health

So yesterday I had recently re-arrived on the coast after a hunting accident and was making my way north. I had found a lovely new rifle (one previous, un-careful owner) and had just investigated Zelengorsk and the Green Mountain in search of some basic equipment - a backpack, matches and a compass were high on my agenda. So far nothing.

I get on the radio and make my way to the church in Pustoshka where Kefirz is waiting for me in the Church and Llamageddon is hoofing his way down from further north. A quick scouring of Pust turns up still nothing and we head cautiously into Vybor.

And by cautiously I mean that the silenced MP5 toting mobile bush that is Kefirz moved in without making a sound and myself and Llama managed to attract every other Zed that we passed by stepping on every twig, falling over fences and generally acting like a marching band.

Still, after patching us up Kefirz finds me a lovely Czech Backpack and all the other essentials and we make our way out of town without further incident. We have just reached a small copse of trees next to a barn about 50 yards out of the town when a guy comes on world VOIP pretending to be a zombie. Because of this it takes us a few seconds to realize the explosion we hear did not come over his mic.

Llama spots the smoke rising from the other side of the barn scant meters in front of us.

Ll: Look there, right ahead of us.

G: Ooooh.

K: Grenade.

Ll: Should we go hunting?

G: What, people?

K: Really guys?

Ll: Yeah, it'll be far more interesting.

K: OK let's do this.

Kef and Llama start making their way cautiously through the long grass towards the fence that separates us from the barn, I pull out my rifle and crouch in a bush to cover their approach. They cross the fence one after the other. I drop to the ground to crawl after them.

Footsteps. A twig cracks behind me.

I whirl around, trying to spot the Zed.

A shape moves on the other side of the copse from me. It has a back pack on. Did I see that right? I look to the right of the tree it disappeared behind.

G: Guys Wait, I think there's someone behind us, where we just were.

K: What?

G: (in rising panic) Shit yeah there's someone here, I can hear him moving he's on the other side of the tree he's...

*Snap, hiss, glug-glug-glug*

G: ..he's drinking a sodding can of pepsi!

K: We're coming!

Has he seen us? If he carries on past he obviously hasn't. On the other hand if he thinks there's only 2 of us he might think he is safe to crack open a brew.

Crawling, I sight in, eyes glued to the open channel to see if he calls out a greeting or a warning or anything at all.

He's coming straight at me. Rifle out, crawling cautiously to the exact point my friends had departed the trees.

G: Guys he's coming right for me, he's right there! he's, I can't wait any longer, shit!

Five M4 shots. The immediate buzz of flies.

He was carrying the mother load, lots of lovely rifle ammo, steak, blood, water, more grenades. My heart is pounding and my hands shaking on the keyboard as I quickly loot his stuff, Llama and Kef keeping watch. I drag his Alice pack off his corpse and quickly fill it with my things (including the 7 clips of his M4 ammo) and we hurry away towards the airfield.

Was this just an innocent bystander who just happened upon us? The grenades stuck in his belt suggest otherwise. He saw us, throw a grenny to get our attention and looped around to come in from behind. If he had been crouching I might think otherwise but crawling into the copse when there are no Zeds around for hundreds of yards? But then why the drink before action? The rookie mistake of some wannabe bandit? Desperate addiction to caffeine and sugar?

No.

It was the cool, calm murder signature of a deranged apocalypse serial killer.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wonderstuff View Post
    Yup. Go into the DeadZ channel where you see a group say "hi" and "which server are you on" and "where the hell are you". At that point you can decide if you are close enough to join the group - if they are too far away it may be worth seeing if anyone else is on another channel and asking the same questions as above. Last night I spent most of the evening just creeping north on my own - I was actually in the channel to get an idea of where the guys were headed as that changes so I could adjust my movements.
    There were only ever 2-4 people on for the five hours i played tonight (damn, i didn't mean to play that long!), and they were always alone in their own little sub-group. Color me confused.

Great story!

Yesterday I was tweaking audio trying to get 5.1 working. In the process I spawned in electro on a night server. With the audio working, and as it was almost dawn i could see a bit and pinpoint danger with my ears. I spent a little time crawling around in the dark and manage to score most of the basics. I headed out east and up a hill as the sun came up. When I hit the tree line I turned north and hoofed it out of the area. So I'm running full blast up this mountain north of electro when I blaze past 3 guys and freak out. I hit the deck and roll behind a tree. They hadn't seen me. I was peeking around the tree to be sure. They were setting uP to snipe looters in town. At that point one of them turned in my direction. Not wanting a fight, I announced myself over direct. One of them responded warning me not to attack. I took that and the fact that I had not been fired on yet as a sign. I said "carry on, I'm just going north." and backed away. As I went over the crest one of them fired into the city... Close call. I logged off in a bush about 2km north. Not a bad solo day. Having 5.1 working at last is so immersive.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigJ_A View Post
    There were only ever 2-4 people on for the five hours i played tonight (damn, i didn't mean to play that long!), and they were always alone in their own little sub-group. Color me confused.
    Pop into a sub-channel such as Aaaarrgh and you should see a number of people. Normally players jump into sub channels in order to co-ordinate their immediate groups actions (imagine having everyone on one big channel - what a nightmare). Don't be afraid we won't bite (or shoot...actually scrap that as accidental deaths do happen). Just hop in and have fun. Also many of us are in the UK so we normally operate between 6pm-11pm GMT.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wonderstuff View Post
    Don't be afraid we won't bite (or shoot...actually scrap that as accidental deaths do happen).
    Unless you come across Bobbeh, he shoots people for the fun of it under the guise of an accident, don't trust him.

Activated Node
    You guys always help me get back on my feet after a death. Thanks for the ammo and water dudes!

Looking forward to coinciding at some point, though I must say I am enjoying the solo aspect too - encountering strangers is a tense situation. I have finally got my feet wet and traversed half the map, raided a few towns and installations, and shot 27 zombies with this character. Unfortunately I have logged out in the middle of a town, so I will teleport into a town at night and probably have to run from 20 screaming zombies with 12 shots to spare. I exited in prone mode and hopefully this version will keep me in that way.

Obscure Node
    Prone should keep you safe. At night a Zed will practically walk over you when prone, in day it won't notice you till it's about 3 feet away. As long as you are stationary...

Activated Node
    I'd be interested in getting together with a player or two for a raid run near NW airfield and/or surrounding towns. I left my char near Stary Sobor so anyone traversing the mid-map give me a shout here, on the steam group or on mumble.

6 days old and still breathing. Even though I am now actually seaking people out I still can't seem to find anyone. I have made 2 runs to balota airfield now and just did a sweep of Cherno to get myself a new skin and didn't see a single person. I may have to resort to standing on the air control tower at the NW airfeild waving a flare.

Barbed wire is a real nuisance now, a tool kit is becoming a necessity.

Does anyone know where ghillie suits spawn? Camo clothes seems to spawn in apartment buildings a lot.

Edit: it seems that a new patch has started rolling out and is currently being stress tested.
    Changelog:
    * [FIXED] Long (sometimes infinite) loading times
    * [FIXED] Saving sometimes will not happen
    * [FIXED] Vehicles not initialized reliably on servers running multiple instances
    * [FIXED] Very poor framerate on servers after some time (dead bodies causing it)
    * [NEW] Server Side Architecture completely rewritten

This should be a massive improvement.
    Last edited by palindrome; 29-05-2012 at 10:14 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by palindrome View Post
    * [FIXED] Very poor framerate on servers after some time (dead bodies causing it)
    Well whaddayaknow, maybe that's the issue plaguing my DayZ playtime? will have to give it a whirl. Thanks for the heads up.