Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tea? TEA!

Hybrid View

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar

Tea? TEA!

A place to assert your superiority and recommend your favourite way of making tea to the rest of RPS.
    Should tea have milk in? What about sugar? Perhaps you make tea with - *shudder* - teabags?
    Is dunking acceptable? What do you dunk? Tell us!

I'll start:
    My family buys and drinks Waitrose gold blend, which I don't mind, but when I make tea I prefer to use Guv'nors blend - a mixture of Assam and Darjeeling from Gillards in Bath. It's slightly less bitter and more fragrant, but needs to brew for longer.
    Loose leaf for life and milk goes in first. YES IT DOES.
    I'm also partial to the occasional cup of Earl Grey, Lapsang Souchong or Honeybush, but Guv'nors is my go-to infusion of choice.

How about you?

Teabag, in the mug, with hot water. No milk, no sugar. Leave the old bag in and refill with an additional new bag. Hero tea.

Which is not to say that I'm a tea heathen -- I like a fancypants loose tea when I can be bothered, but my infuser likes to spill tea everywhere.

I tend to drink Twinings' Earl Grey, mostly because you can find it everywhere. However, I'm also partial to roasted teas like lapsang souchong, hoji cha, and genmai cha. As for loose tea brands, when I lived in the US I used Republic of Tea but I can't find anywhere I can get the m in the UK without paying for shipping. When I lived in the US I lived in Chicago, and there's a wonderful chain of tea shops there called Argo who do the best mate you'll taste, because it's made with cocoa.

Here in Edinburgh there's a tea place I keep meaning to try but haven't gotten round to because I'm too lazy to use an infuser most of the time called Eteaket (why must tea shops have stupid puns in their names all the time?), which looks like it has tasty things. Caramel rooibois? Yes please.

I drink my tea black and unsweetened mostly out of laziness. If I'm out on a hike I'm always looking forwards to getting to a pub or cafe at the end and having some proper tea with milk and sugar.

Coffee has no place in my life.
    Last edited by Jams O'Donnell; 21-06-2011 at 05:20 PM.

I don't like tea. :( Tried it years ago and didn't like it. Tried again recently to the same result.

Well, I say "don't like". I've just never thought it tasted enough of anything to be worth the bother of making it and the caffeine. Perhaps I've only tried crap tea?
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Attack thenarrative like a radiant suicide
    Any kind of common or garden black tea, bit of milk and a quarter spoon of sugar for me. I like it lazy and frequent. Just had a nice cup with a few chocolate digestives there. Might go for another right now.

Activated Node
    The only tea I enjoy is the chinese stuff. No idea what any of them are called, because I can't read the packaging.

Yes, I'm a coffee drinking heathen. shh!

Pretty much buy all my tea from Char in Winchester (http://www.charteas.com/) in loose-leaf form.

Outside of my love of loose-leaf tea, I really only like Tetley Tea.

White no sugar please. Oh and if you've got chocolate hobnobs I might love you forever.

Last edited by Colonel J; 21-06-2011 at 06:57 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel J View Post
    Have you tried their Fruit Tea? It is WONDROUS ALSO.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Milk goes in first when you are not making a standalone mug of tea using a teabag in the mug. If the teabag is in the mug, the boiling water goes in first, then the tea is allowed to brew, then the teabag is removed, and then and only then may the milk be added.
    I have seen with my own eyes people (well, I'll call them people) place the teabag in the mug, add a splash of milk, leave the teabag standing in the cold milk, wait for the kettle to boil, and then add the hot water.

Quote Originally Posted by President Weasel View Post
    I have seen with my own eyes people (well, I'll call them people) place the teabag in the mug, add a splash of milk, leave the teabag standing in the cold milk, wait for the kettle to boil, and then add the hot water.
    Monsters, all of them!

I'm partial to a nice cup of Earl Grey myself.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by President Weasel View Post
    Milk goes in first when you are not making a standalone mug of tea using a teabag in the mug. If the teabag is in the mug, the boiling water goes in first, then the tea is allowed to brew, then the teabag is removed, and then and only then may the milk be added.
    Weasel has it spot on here. Also when making a brew in a teapot I'm in the habit of pre warming the teapot (because that's the way my mother told me to do it and as we all should realise, mother knows best).

I used to defile my tea with sugar but I soon grew out of this uncouth habit. I still buy shit teabags though, I'm still a student after all!
    Last edited by Lambchops; 21-06-2011 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Typo termination

Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar
    Another Twinings Earl Grey drinker, mostly because it's ubiquitous and delicious. Generally don't take milk nor sugar, though honey and green tea is akin to soul food for me. I love almost everything, except for the frou-frou fruity herby blends. I had some sorta white/mango tea once. Once.

All I've got at work is Bigelow Plantation Mint -- it'll have to do. Fiancee and I recently bought some loose green tea from Teavana...it's heavenly.
    steam

I suspect that this place could not exist without tea.

The Rossignol hivemind's HUD has a tea meter instead of a life bar.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Really into English breakfast atm, though I do like the old lapsang Souchong occasionally (much to the bemusement of my work colleagues).

As regards the milk conundrum. Milk definitely after the hot water has gone in so you can press the teabag till you achieve the appropriate tan shade of your liking. As a rule I tend to let the water cool from boiling for a minute or so before adding it, as I think when it's boiling it tends to kill the flavour.

OT but with instant Coffee, add milk first and blend into a paste, then add the water (again about a minute off the boil) that way you don't scorch the outside of the granules and thus avoid that awful bitterness you tend to get with instant coffee. Try it, you'll be pleasantly surprised.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

I like black tea but sometimes brew green or roibos. I use mostly loose leaf teas and English Breakfeast and Assam are my favourites. Of course I'll add some sugar and milk for black tea. There are other blends I use but dont remember their names.

I'm quite fond of Golden Money myself, but English Breakfast is still my standard go-to tea.

Attack thenarrative like a radiant suicide
    God I love tea.

Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    I usually drink Earl Grey & some other brands (I didn't remember their exact names). I love mint tea beacuse it tastes different, delicious and leaves you with an feeling of freshness in your mouth. I don't add milk to my tea (it's just seems so strange) and neither sugar. I prefer to add honey.

Yuck!

I'm clearly in the minority though, I can't even stand the smell of the stuff.

Not having any in the house does have disadvantages in terms of entertaining guests.

'Do you mind if I make some tea?'

'Um, you can try.'

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Another vote for Twinings Earl Grey, though I'll occasionally grab a box of PG Tips to mix it up. Bit of whole milk, bit of sugar or orange blossom honey.

I saw "make us a brew!" when I was in London and was very tempted to smuggle some back home, but alas, not enough space. Next time.