Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 88

Thread: Tea? TEA!

  1. #21
    (PG tips/Tetley/any sort of supermarket red label) + Hot Water + (Sugar X 2) + Milk.
    As per Weasel's mug method.

  2. #22
    Network Hub Colonel J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    the mild mild west
    Posts
    346
    Quote Originally Posted by KingCathcart View Post
    (PG tips/Tetley/any sort of supermarket red label) + Hot Water + (Sugar X 2) + Milk.
    As per Weasel's mug method.
    NATO standard, in other words.

  3. #23
    Network Hub Kablooie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    102
    You brits and your tea. Gimme a strong cup of coffee early in the morning, or afternoon . . . . . oh yes. Coffee and a cigarette, breakfast of champions.

    Nice scones, though. With clotted cream, lovely.

    Breakfast in Edinburgh. Runny eggs, bacon that's stuck together in big clumps. Some kind of odd objects looking like hockey pucks. Black, small, round.
    .
    "What's that?"
    "Blood pudding"
    "urrghhhhhh . . . "

    Breakfast was a cup of coffee that morning.
    "Unix is user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends are.

  4. #24
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    the angry dome
    Posts
    3,166
    I have a cabinet full of tea, I like a lot of variety. For loose, I have an infuser pot and some filter bags, depending on whether I want a pot or a cup. Particular favorites from my local purveyor of quality loose tea are their Earl Gray, a couple of local blends, and blueberry green oolong. I also have an online store that sells some Sri Lankan and Chinese blends, I'm particularly patial to Adawatte Pekoe.

    All that said, I'm not opposed to bags either. Republic of Tea has some good stuff, and obviously bags are quicker and more convenient. My favorite bagged tea at the moment is Harney and Sons Hot Cinnamon Spice, which is basically a cup of dessert. Delcious, delicious dessert.

    Oh, and as to how I take it, with raw sugar when I can get it, regular sugar if not. Milk is reserved for unflavored black tea, and tea I've managed to oversteep into bitterness.

  5. #25
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus duff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,171
    I dont drink tea or coffee, but literally gallons of Robinsons fruit and barley concentrate.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Kablooie View Post
    You brits and your tea. Gimme a strong cup of coffee early in the morning, or afternoon . . . . .
    I essentially live on coffee, however there are places that coffee can't even begin to reach that a hot cup of tea will.

    And I'm not all that fussy with my tea drinking; a standard tea brand will do me fine as long as its brewed nice and strong and isn't too "flowery" tasting, which some teas can tend toward.

    Ooo, and jasmine tea. I love jasmine tea. (And yes, I'm aware that IS flowery, but its flowery on purpose and isn't anything like normal tea).

  7. #27
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    220
    For me, nothing beats vanilla chai with a bit of soy milk and sugar. Unless maybe it's an Ethiopian blend of coffee.

  8. #28
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    the angry dome
    Posts
    3,166
    Speaking of the tea/coffee argument, I neglected to mention my local tea proprietor's "Mayan Blend" which is basically 1/3 breakfast tea, 1/3 yerba mate, and 1/3 coffee. It's freaking delicious, and it'll wake you up in the morning.

  9. #29
    Network Hub SMiD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Langhorne, PA, USA! USA! USA!
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Speaking of the tea/coffee argument, I neglected to mention my local tea proprietor's "Mayan Blend" which is basically 1/3 breakfast tea, 1/3 yerba mate, and 1/3 coffee. It's freaking delicious, and it'll wake you up in the morning.
    That sounds amazing. I must search this blend out.

  10. #30
    I personally prefer tea over coffee because after only drinking tea for so long a cup of coffee leaves me feeling like I just smoked a couple rocks of crystal meth, and also I prefer the taste of tea.

  11. #31
    Activated Node SeanybabeS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Southend, UK
    Posts
    57
    Bit of a side step, has anyone tried growing their own tea?

    Been looking at having a go at growing some Camellia sinensis but apparently it's a rather difficult process without a greenhouse.

  12. #32
    Vector Jams O'Donnell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Burgh of Mussels
    Posts
    822
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanybabeS View Post
    Bit of a side step, has anyone tried growing their own tea?

    Been looking at having a go at growing some Camellia sinensis but apparently it's a rather difficult process without a greenhouse.
    Oh my goodness, that sounds like a recipe for disaster/sadness in the UK. Good luck.

  13. #33
    Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Bath / Southampton, UK
    Posts
    714
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Speaking of the tea/coffee argument, I neglected to mention my local tea proprietor's "Mayan Blend" which is basically 1/3 breakfast tea, 1/3 yerba mate, and 1/3 coffee. It's freaking delicious, and it'll wake you up in the morning.
    Sounds good! What's the name of the tea shop?

  14. #34
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    the angry dome
    Posts
    3,166
    Quote Originally Posted by westyfield View Post
    Sounds good! What's the name of the tea shop?
    http://store02.prostores.com/servlet...use/StoreFront

  15. #35
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,173
    I'm from Sweden, which is very much a coffee culture (unless the Finns have passed us again we drink the most coffee per capita in the world). Tea drinking is often regarded with some amount of suspicion. I do however have a little cardboard box with bags allegedly containing "English Breakfast Tea", which I rather enjoy now and then.

    Question: How do you go about heating the tea water? I've tried water in a mug and microwaving it, then adding the tea bag (or tea strainer, when I've been feeling fancy enough to buy loose tea), but there's something not quite right about that. I usually boil some water in a pot on the stove and then pour it into the mug, which for some reason seems to be a lot better.

  16. #36
    Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    978
    Quote Originally Posted by Skalpadda View Post
    I do however have a little cardboard box with bags allegedly containing "English Breakfast Tea", which I rather enjoy now and then.
    Germany produces similar things and they're universally awful. It's worth hunting down some real Twinings.

    My life has been transformed by an electric kettle. Insert water, flick switch, a minute later it's boiled. Much more energy-efficient, though there's nothing wrong with a simple metal tea kettle on the stove either.

  17. #37
    Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Bath / Southampton, UK
    Posts
    714
    Quote Originally Posted by Skalpadda View Post
    Question: How do you go about heating the tea water? I've tried water in a mug and microwaving it, then adding the tea bag (or tea strainer, when I've been feeling fancy enough to buy loose tea), but there's something not quite right about that. I usually boil some water in a pot on the stove and then pour it into the mug, which for some reason seems to be a lot better.
    Do you not have a kettle? If not, heating water in a container on the stove and pouring it onto a teabag in a mug sounds like the best bet. Tea strainers and loose leaves are used with a teapot -you heat the water in a kettle or on the stove, put tea leaves in the pot, pour the boiling water onto leaves (it's best if the water is actually boiling as it goes in, unlike coffee). Then leave the tea to brew in the pot for a few minutes before pouring it through the strainer (to filter the leaves out) into a cup.
    Also, be a bit careful with microwaving water - it can become superheated which is quite dangerous.

    Thanks!

  18. #38
    I really, really enjoy drinking 'standard' tea, milk and sugar etc., but for some reason I never drink it at home. Only at friend's houses in the morning.

    Oh! And Rooibos.

  19. #39
    Network Hub Colonel J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    the mild mild west
    Posts
    346
    Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    Germany produces similar things and they're universally awful. It's worth hunting down some real Twinings.

    My life has been transformed by an electric kettle. Insert water, flick switch, a minute later it's boiled. Much more energy-efficient, though there's nothing wrong with a simple metal tea kettle on the stove either.
    I lived in Germany for a while and was always puzzled that not many people there used an electric kettle. This in the country where everyone has an electric egg boiler (what a brilliant invention I still use mine)

    On German tea, my (British) girlfriend who grew up in Germany, she & her whole family all love Lipton Earl Grey, the tea leaves in a tin, they can't find it here so they buy it from Germany. I love Twinings Earl Grey but that Lipton stuff tastes like a piss-weak solution of a cleaning product.

  20. #40
    Network Hub Kablooie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    102
    I can tell you, that for coffee, the best way to brew it is with forced steam. Period. Drip method can't touch it. I use an espresso maker, just don't load it up that strong, and it's wonderful.

    Might try that with tea (?). Might be a worthwhile experiment, at least?
    "Unix is user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends are.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •