Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 109

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,508

    Kingdoms of Amalur studio in big huge trouble

    While the game was actually developed by Big Huge Games, their parent company 38 Studios is going down in flames and it's gonna cost Rhode Island taxpayers a lot.

    tl;dr version:
    - 38 borrows 75 million dollars from the state
    - can't pay back, already defaulted on May 1st
    - Curt Schilling asks for more money
    - CEO is in maternity leave
    - both the company and the state officials refuse to comment
    - if 38 is closed, all its IPs and assets will be owned by the state who will auction them

    The curse of Big Huge Games strikes again!

    Related: Schilling said that KoA received two DLCs but no patch because EA forced them to do so. They weren't going to partner with EA for the MMO.

    Here's a list of related news from Joystiq, for more juicy details.

  2. #2
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,457
    Wow. That's... shocking. I mean really shocking. I'll likely still get Amalur, though, but not until it's cheaper.

    Suppose that's what happens when you bite off more than you can chew.


  3. #3
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lagoon West, Vermilion Sands
    Posts
    4,313
    Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    Wow. That's... shocking. I mean really shocking. I'll likely still get Amalur, though, but not until it's cheaper.

    Suppose that's what happens when you bite off more than you can chew.
    Half price on Origin at present.

    Was planning on getting this at Christmas when my new games hiatus is up, but I opted to get it now as I figure they need to money, and 50% off is a pretty good deal.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 18-05-2012 at 08:21 AM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

    Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

    Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

    Probable Replicant

    *blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

    Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

    He who controls the Doge controls the universe

  4. #4
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Half price on Origin at present.

    Was planning on getting this at Christmas when my new games hiatus is up, but I opted to get it now as I figure they need to money, and 50% off is a pretty good deal.
    50% off an above average priced game is still more than I want to pay.

    That and I haven't got any money right now.

    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    As I observed, Kingdoms of Amalur received huge marketing campaign, but nothing as aggressively games like Dragon Age or Mass Effect.
    That's likely because it's not wholly EA's responsibility to advertise the game via the EA Partners programme.


  5. #5
    Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    662
    I thought KOA sold pretty well. Maybe they went crazy on the budget, though. It did sound like the sort of game that they threw too much money at to start with (what with Todd McFarlan and that famous fantasy author on board, probably for not much but a reason to use their names in the marketing material).

  6. #6
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Carlo View Post
    I thought KOA sold pretty well. Maybe they went crazy on the budget, though. It did sound like the sort of game that they threw too much money at to start with (what with Todd McFarlan and that famous fantasy author on board, probably for not much but a reason to use their names in the marketing material).
    R.A. Salvatore.

    Amalur is a bit like Torchlight 1/2 in that they're basically single-player implementations of MMO tech. Thing is, Runic largely got their groundwork sorted with Torchlight before moving onto the 'proper' MMO stuff whereas 38/BHG developed both simultaneously.


  7. #7
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    the angry dome
    Posts
    3,500
    They certainly have my sympathies, if only because of Big Huge's involvement in my all -time favorite "traditional" RTS: Rise of Nations. It's more than a little sad that they've never made anything subsequently that came close to the brilliance of that first title, but I wouldn't wish a mess like this on anyone.

  8. #8
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    They certainly have my sympathies, if only because of Big Huge's involvement in my all -time favorite "traditional" RTS: Rise of Nations. It's more than a little sad that they've never made anything subsequently that came close to the brilliance of that first title, but I wouldn't wish a mess like this on anyone.
    Oh, there's plenty I would- but not these chaps.

    No one could say their game was bad, and that seems to be pretty rare these days.

    Well, save for that damned camera.

  9. #9
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,603
    Salvatore is suppose to be some great writer but it doesn't really show in the game, it's pretty much like all the other fantasy games, didn't really notice any difference in writing compared to other fantasy role playing games.

    I still really like the game though, it has some really satisfying combat and it looks amazing.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

  10. #10
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    the angry dome
    Posts
    3,500
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    Salvatore is suppose to be some great writer but it doesn't really show in the game, it's pretty much like all the other fantasy games, didn't really notice any difference in writing compared to other fantasy role playing games.
    There are precious few "great writers" that work in the fantasy genre. The only two I can think of that sort-of qualify are Gene Wolfe and Neil Gaiman.

  11. #11
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,457
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    There are precious few "great writers" that work in the fantasy genre. The only two I can think of that sort-of qualify are Gene Wolfe and Neil Gaiman.
    Kind of sweeping there, especially considering Gaiman's work tends more towards horror/thriller. No Miéville, no Brooks, no Martin, Barker, Pratchett, Modesitt, Jr., Williams (Tad Williams, that is) and so forth. Plenty of authors available to contend for the title of "great writer".


  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    936
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    Salvatore is suppose to be some great writer but it doesn't really show in the game, it's pretty much like all the other fantasy games, didn't really notice any difference in writing compared to other fantasy role playing games.

    I still really like the game though, it has some really satisfying combat and it looks amazing.
    Hahahah.

    Salvatore being a great writer. Fuck no. The thing he's famous for is Drizzt, and if you have a character you're famous for who's name half-rhymes with jizz, you're probably better off not being a writer.

  13. #13
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,088
    Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    Hahahah.

    Salvatore being a great writer. Fuck no. The thing he's famous for is Drizzt, and if you have a character you're famous for who's name half-rhymes with jizz, you're probably better off not being a writer.
    So glad you're back.

  14. #14
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,508
    I hope they manage to push out a difficulty patch, at least.

  15. #15
    Lesser Hivemind Node Kodeen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    968
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    - CEO is in maternity leave
    I enjoy that this was listed as a bullet point going against them.

  16. #16
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodeen View Post
    I enjoy that this was listed as a bullet point going against them.
    It's not necessarily an indictment against why the leader is absent. If there's no chain of command, then a several-months absence of a leader - especially during a crisis - is an infrastructural problem that puts 38 Studios in a bad light.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  17. #17
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    1,526
    I'm quite surprised to see such significant state involvement. I'm not sure what the situation in Rhode Island is like, but $75 million seems like a large amount of money to be lending out to a software developer. Democrat Speaker of the House Gordon D. Fox isn't too worried though: "[Curt Schilling] seems to have a lot of people around him who know what they are doing.''

    I haven't played Kingdoms of Amalur, but I always had the impression they had gotten a little ahead of themselves - which might have had financial repercussions as well. From their public statements and interviews it seemed, to me at least, like they were talking about the game as though the series had been a prime fixture in the gaming scene for decades.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

  18. #18
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Rhode Island is a tiny, tiny state sandwiched in between much larger competing markets for skilled laborers. Direct investment is a means to keep businesses from moving elsewhere.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  19. #19
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,088
    They were, in fact, lured from Massachusetts to R.I. by these generous offers.

  20. #20
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    1,526
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    They were, in fact, lured from Massachusetts to R.I. by these generous offers.
    That's interesting, thanks.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •